Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:10 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:Change of Habit is too good of a song, both rocking and socially political, to be put on a throwaway album like proposed. I'd like to see Sony remix-remaster the best of the 1969 tracks and include COH as a bonus track for a new album. Then FTD do an extended version of that mainstream album with alternate takes and include the instrumental tracks.

Do you have Sony's email address? ;-)

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:50 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:Change of Habit is too good of a song, both rocking and socially political, to be put on a throwaway album like proposed.

Which album proposal are you referring to?

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:54 am

Blue River wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Change of Habit is too good of a song, both rocking and socially political, to be put on a throwaway album like proposed.

Which album proposal are you referring to?

The original proposed album on the first page. That proposal reminds me of Burning Love & Hits From His Movies LP from 1972. :smt078

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:20 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:Change of Habit is too good of a song

Which Change Of Habit do you own?!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:36 am

Matthew wrote:

I'm guessing he owns the one recorded by Elvis Presley in 1969. It is a good song.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:57 am

Blue River wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I'm guessing he owns the one recorded by Elvis Presley in 1969. It is a good song.

It's an awkward song. It's trying hard to be something good, but doesn't really make it. But hey, at least it's trying!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:02 am

Matthew wrote:
Blue River wrote:
Matthew wrote:

It's an awkward song. It's trying hard to be something good, but doesn't really make it. But hey, at least it's trying!

i like it ,but hey we can't all like the same

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:09 am

Matthew wrote:It's an awkward song. It's trying hard to be something good, but doesn't really make it. But hey, at least it's trying!

I agree.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:22 am

"Change Of Habit" is an awkward song?

Man, now I done heard it all!

Keith Richards, Jr

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:"Change Of Habit" is an awkward song?

Keith Richards, Jr

Yes, from the cheesy "what you need is a change of habit" hook, to the busy melody it doesn't all quite fit together. It sounds like its all struggling to be a hip, funky, message song but the pieces come from different jigsaw sets and thus don't gel together. It's not terrible but it is very forgettable.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:47 pm

I like it. There was a time when I didn't dig and play it but eventually returned to it again. One of my favourite Elvis songs. But to each his own, I'm no music expert.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:50 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:One of my favourite Elvis songs. But to each his own, I'm no music expert.

Matthew isn't either. He only gave you his opinion.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:57 pm

Matthew wrote:

Keith Richards, Jr

Yes, from the cheesy "what you need is a change of habit" hook, to the busy melody it doesn't all quite fit together. It sounds like its all struggling to be a hip, funky, message song but the pieces come from different jigsaw sets and thus don't gel together. It's not terrible but it is very forgettable.

One of the best things about "Change of Habit" is the superb, committed vocal from Elvis. He believes in this song.

It's not top-shelf material, but Lyle Ritz's bass playing is fabulous and it is certainly an attempt to match the mood of the changing times. The entire film project exudes an effort unlike most of Elvis' work in the decade, and for that reason alone it makes "Change of Habit" unique and worthwhile, most especially for us crazy Presley fans.

691100_Change of Habit_LOBBY CARD.jpg

By the way, did you know that Lyle Ritz is rather famous? And not just for being a heralded session man as a part of the famed "Wrecking Crew," or playing string bass on Pet Sounds?

720000_Ray Charles_Lyle Ritz.JPG
Ray Charles at Western Recorders with Lyle Ritz - circa 1972

Check out this excellent NPR interview and learn more:
Bassist Lyle Ritz: Father of Jazz Ukulele
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11858836

120214_Wrecking Crew_Hartman p259.JPG
Kent Hartman, The Wrecking Crew: The Inside Story of Rock and Roll's Best-Kept Secret (New York: Macmillan, February 14, 2012)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Keith Richards, Jr

One of the best things about "Change of Habit" is the superb, committed vocal from Elvis. He believes in this song.

It's not top-shelf material, but Lyle Ritz's bass playing is fabulous and it is certainly an attempt to match the mood of the changing times. The entire film project exudes an effort unlike most of Elvis' work in the decade, and for that reason alone it makes "Change of Habit" unique and worthwhile, most especially for us crazy Presley fans.

691100_Change of Habit_LOBBY CARD.jpg

By the way, did you know that Lyle Ritz is rather famous? And not just for being a heralded session man as a part of the famed "Wrecking Crew," or playing string bass on Pet Sounds?

720000_Ray Charles_Lyle Ritz.JPG
Ray Charles at Western Recorders with Lyle Ritz - circa 1972

Check out this excellent NPR interview and learn more:
Bassist Lyle Ritz: Father of Jazz Ukulele
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11858836

120214_Wrecking Crew_Hartman p259.JPG
Kent Hartman, The Wrecking Crew: The Inside Story of Rock and Roll's Best-Kept Secret (New York: Macmillan, February 14, 2012)

Cool, Doc! Maybe you're getting your groove back? (Fingers crossed!)

Did you ever notice that we both have avatars that depict 1969 Elvis? It makes me feel that much closer to you! I feel like we could be besties! We both love '69 Elvis! Because he was freakin' gorgeous, right? I love 1969 Elvis and YOU love 1969 Elvis!!! Do you realize how RAD that is???? :smt060 :smt060 :smt060 :smt060

We should totally go to Breads of India together! We could talk '69 Elvis! :wink:

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:31 am

InheritTheWind wrote:Cool, Doc!

Thanks.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:Cool, Doc!

Thanks.

See??? We CAN be friends! :wink:

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:18 am

Matthew wrote:
Blue River wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Really? It was a political-influenced song that got used for a movie track. It also had one of the funkiest bass lines of any Elvis track since Baby I Don't Care and Crawfish. In case you aren't aware, he wasn't singing about the thing called a habit that nuns wear, even though the movie's story line just so happens to be about a trio of nuns. He was singing about changing your bad habits in life such as judging man and putting people down. Here's the lyrics.

Songwriters: WEISMAN, BENJAMIN/KAYE, BUDDY

If you're in old habits
Set in your old ways
Changes are a-comin'
For these are changing days

And if your head is in the sand
While things are goin' on
What you need, what you need
What you need is a change of habit

Now if you're in the habit
To let your temper fly
When you talk with people
Who don't see eye to eye

And if you don't believe it
There's a newer world ahead

A change of habit, a change of outlook
A change of heart, you'll be alright
The halls of darkness, have doors that open
It's never too late to see the light

So if you're in the habit
Putting people down
Just because they're different
From the wrong side of town

Well, don't count on any medals, son
They're pinning none on you

A change of habit, a change of outlook
A change of heart, you'll be alright
The halls of darkness, have doors that open
It's never too late to see the light

So if you're in the habit
Of putting people down
Just because they're different
From the wrong side of town

Well, don't count on any medals, son
They're pinning none on you

Change of habit, hmm, change of habit
Change of habit

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:59 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Blue River wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Really? It was a political-influenced song that got used for a movie track. It also had one of the funkiest bass lines of any Elvis track since Baby I Don't Care and Crawfish. In case you aren't aware, he wasn't singing about the thing called a habit that nuns wear, even though the movie's story line just so happens to be about a trio of nuns. He was singing about changing your bad habits in life such as judging man and putting people down. Here's the lyrics

I know what the song is about, and that is has a nice bass track. As noted, it's an awkward song. It's trying hard to be something good, but doesn't really make it. But hey, at least it's trying!

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:14 am

Matthew wrote:

Keith Richards, Jr

I rather like the music itself - the bassline is incredible. And the vocal is fine. But I've always felt there too many "messages" sort of shoehorned into a single song. And it thus lacks any focus. It is, after all, designed for a "social consciousness film," and so the song is crafted for that purpose, and the problem is you can hear that. And yes, you can hear Elvis's commitment to it, but I wish it more cohesive, so he had more to commit to.

The musical track and his vocal are so good, though, that it could be a candidate for a 21st century makeover, a la "Rubberneckin'" perhaps. You never know. It rocks.

rjm

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:16 pm

rjm wrote:But I've always felt there too many "messages" sort of shoehorned into a single song. And it thus lacks any focus.

It seems that the focus issue is with you, rjm. Perhaps you've got Attention Deficit Disorder?

There's nothing wrong with the song. It's fantastic! 8)

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:39 am

JimmyCool wrote:
Matthew wrote:It's an awkward song. It's trying hard to be something good, but doesn't really make it. But hey, at least it's trying!

I agree.

I agree too. It's only OK. Elvis delivers on it but he couldn't have believed in Have A Happy or Let's Be Friends. This soundtrack is overrated.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:55 am

stevelecher wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:

I agree.

I agree too. It's only OK. Elvis delivers on it but he couldn't have believed in Have A Happy or Let's Be Friends. This soundtrack is overrated.

Who has "overrated" the soundtrack? I don't know of anyone on here that has raved about "Have A Happy" and "Let's Be Friends".

Songs ~
*Change Of Habit
*Rubberneckin'
Let's Be Friends
Have A Happy
*Let Us Pray

* 3 out of 5 ain't bad! :wink:

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:57 am

Blue River wrote:
stevelecher wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:

I agree.

Who has "overrated" the soundtrack? I don't know of anyone on here that has raved about "Have A Happy" and "Let's Be Friends".

Songs ~
*Change Of Habit
*Rubberneckin'
Let's Be Friends
Have A Happy
*Let Us Pray

*3 out of 5 ain't bad!

People putting down "Have A Happy" really makes me sad.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:00 am

Blue River wrote:There's nothing wrong with the song. It's fantastic! 8)

Fantastic? Really? Suspicious Minds is fantastic. In The Ghetto is fantastic. Change Of Habit? It's ok, I guess. At least the song is trying to be good, even if it isn't great.

You're a bit grouchy these last few days, maybe a change of habit would help?

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:06 am

Matthew wrote:
Blue River wrote:There's nothing wrong with the song. It's fantastic! 8)

Fantastic? Really? Suspicious Minds is fantastic. In The Ghetto is fantastic. Change Of Habit? It's ok, I guess. At least the song is trying to be good, even if it isn't great.
You're a bit grouchy these last few days, maybe a change of habit would help?

:lol:

Suspicious Minds = Great, In The Ghetto = Great, Change Of Habit = Fantastic

promiseland wrote:People putting down "Have A Happy" really makes me sad.

:lol: