Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Steamstan wrote:Ouch, I'm so sorry for this :oops: Of course it was Let Us Pray


No worries, it wasn't difficult to know what you meant. At least, it wasn't for me. ;-)

Hope you enjoyed my replies.

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:51 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:But I'd personally go with a triple 1968 feature of Charro! / The Trouble With Girls / Live A Little, Love A Little, thereby freeing up the COH material to add some extra punch and variety to the remaining '69 Memphis tracks - as well [as noted] providing a bridge between respective sessions with the key track, Rubberneckin'.

I could live with that. It's really not a bad idea you have there, elvisalisellers.
Afterall, the sessions at American Sound in Memphis were truly a change of habit! 8)

ELVIS - Winter of '69

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Doc, loved your analogy of GI Blues songs being added to an Elvis Is Back package. LOL. That being said, many of you have more love for COH material than I do. That whole soundtrack, other than Rubberneckin',seems to be quite overrated, IMO.

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:04 am

stevelecher wrote:Doc, loved your analogy of GI Blues songs being added to an Elvis Is Back package. LOL. That being said, many of you have more love for COH material than I do. That whole soundtrack, other than Rubberneckin',seems to be quite overrated, IMO.


Thanks. It's a cogent analogy.

Now, I very much enjoy the March 1969 "Change of Habit" material, especially because Elvis sings so well. The sessions are also significant as Elvis' last proper date of the 1960s. Only a Nashville overdub visit would be scheduled in 1969. Presley would not return for another formal session until June 1970 in Nashville, and never work with Chips Moman again, which was at best a shame, at worse a huge mistake.

But the music from March 1969 does not belong to the American Sound sessions, and should not be complied as such, as it will either be ignored or denigrated. Or both. Please excuse my sagacity, but I just couldn't help myself. ;-)

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:39 am

stevelecher wrote:... many of you have more love for COH material than I do. That whole soundtrack, other than Rubberneckin',seems to be quite overrated, IMO.

What's your point? It'll still get an FTD treatment one way or another regardless of what you, me, or anyone else thinks of it.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Doc, loved your analogy of GI Blues songs being added to an Elvis Is Back package.

Thanks. It's a cogent analogy.

No, it's an erroneous, knee-jerk-reaction analogy (regardless if stevelecher or anyone else loves it or not).

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:I'd personally tag the COH masters plus any stray alternates, as a bonus to a third Memphis '69 Classic Album FTD, rather than the other way around.

... It would be like throwing "G.I. Blues" outtakes on a bonus third CD to Elvis is Back!

Wrong. You took what elvisalisellers wrote completely out of context.

#1 - There is no possibility of a third (or second) FTD issue to Elvis Is Back! because all 18 songs from those sessions were covered on the one and only release needed. On the other hand it is extremely likely that a third volume of the '69 Memphis sessions is coming from FTD because there are still 10 more songs to be covered from those sessions.

#2 - There was no song recorded in Nashville at the March/April sessions that was used in the movie G.I. Blues... therefore no direct link. However, elvisalisellers has made it perfectly clear about "Rubberneckin' " being recorded at the Memphis sessions and used in Change Of Habit forming a link to the two.

Hope this helps :wink:

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:21 am

ELVIS ~ Winter of '69

Featuring 10 songs recorded in Memphis, January-February 1969
& soundtrack recordings for Change Of Habit, March 1969


Mama Liked The Roses
Don't Cry Daddy
My Little Friend
Rubberneckin'
Hey Jude
I'll Be There
I Can't Stop Loving You
Kentucky Rain
If I'm A Fool
Who Am I

Change Of Habit
Let's Be Friends
Have A Happy
Let Us Pray

:smt020

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:22 am

As far as I'm concerned the easiest way to deal with the post-Speedway films, the 1968 studio session and the remaining Memphis songs would be FTDs of the Lets Be Friends and Almost In Love albums, which could then steal songs like Too Much Monkey Business, Let Us Pray etc from other camden releases to complete the picture. Sadly that's not likely to happen now we are getting a Stay Away Joe disc, but the FTD Camden route would have been more fitting, provided a wider range of songs on each package (rather than just 7 or 8 different songs), and would have been better value for buyers as they would likely have been double discs.

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:24 am

Blue River wrote:
stevelecher wrote:... many of you have more love for COH material than I do. That whole soundtrack, other than Rubberneckin',seems to be quite overrated, IMO.

What's your point? It'll still get an FTD treatment one way or another regardless of what you, me, or anyone else thinks of it.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Doc, loved your analogy of GI Blues songs being added to an Elvis Is Back package.

Thanks. It's a cogent analogy.

No, it's an erroneous, knee-jerk-reaction analogy (regardless if stevelecher or anyone else loves it or not).

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:I'd personally tag the COH masters plus any stray alternates, as a bonus to a third Memphis '69 Classic Album FTD, rather than the other way around.

... It would be like throwing "G.I. Blues" outtakes on a bonus third CD to Elvis is Back!

Wrong. You took what elvisalisellers wrote completely out of context.

#1 - There is no possibility of a third (or second) FTD issue to Elvis Is Back! because all 18 songs from those sessions were covered on the one and only release needed. On the other hand it is extremely likely that a third volume of the '69 Memphis sessions is coming from FTD because there are still 10 more songs to be covered from those sessions.

#2 - There was no song recorded in Nashville at the March/April sessions that was used in the movie G.I. Blues... therefore no direct link. However, elvisalisellers has made it perfectly clear about "Rubberneckin' " being recorded at the Memphis sessions and used in Change Of Habit forming a link to the two.

Hope this helps :wink:

On the button. 8)

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:26 am

Blue River wrote:ELVIS ~ Winter of '69

Featuring 10 songs recorded in Memphis, January-February 1969
& soundtrack recordings for Change Of Habit, March 1969


Mama Liked The Roses
Don't Cry Daddy
My Little Friend
Rubberneckin'
Hey Jude
I'll Be There
I Can't Stop Loving You
Kentucky Rain
If I'm A Fool
Who Am I

Change Of Habit
Let's Be Friends
Have A Happy
Let Us Pray

:smt020

Yes! Let's hope Ernst is looking in. :wink:

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:34 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
Blue River wrote:ELVIS ~ Winter of '69

Featuring 10 songs recorded in Memphis, January-February 1969
& soundtrack recordings for Change Of Habit, March 1969


Mama Liked The Roses
Don't Cry Daddy
My Little Friend
Rubberneckin'
Hey Jude
I'll Be There
I Can't Stop Loving You
Kentucky Rain
If I'm A Fool
Who Am I

Change Of Habit
Let's Be Friends
Have A Happy
Let Us Pray

:smt020

Yes! Let's hope Ernst is looking in. :wink:


Yes, indeed. Laughter is the best medicine. ;-)

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
Blue River wrote:ELVIS ~ Winter of '69

Featuring 10 songs recorded in Memphis, January-February 1969
& soundtrack recordings for Change Of Habit, March 1969


Mama Liked The Roses
Don't Cry Daddy
My Little Friend
Rubberneckin'
Hey Jude
I'll Be There
I Can't Stop Loving You
Kentucky Rain
If I'm A Fool
Who Am I

Change Of Habit
Let's Be Friends
Have A Happy
Let Us Pray

:smt020

Yes! Let's hope Ernst is looking in. :wink:

Yes, indeed. Laughter is the best medicine. ;-)

Ernst is laughing all the way to the bank. :wink:

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:42 am

Blue River wrote:Ernst is laughing all the way to the bank. :wink:


You are clearly a retail expert!

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:Ernst is laughing all the way to the bank. :wink:

You are clearly a retail expert!

I'm glad to see that something is finally clear to you!

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:47 am

Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:You are clearly a retail expert!

I'm glad to see that something is finally clear to you!


Oh, many things about you are clear to all. ;-)

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:You are clearly a retail expert!

I'm glad to see that something is finally clear to you!

Oh, many things about you are clear to all. ;-)

Oh, you mean like the following --

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Doc, loved your analogy of GI Blues songs being added to an Elvis Is Back package.

Thanks. It's a cogent analogy.

No, it's an erroneous, knee-jerk-reaction analogy (regardless if stevelecher or anyone else loves it or not).

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:I'd personally tag the COH masters plus any stray alternates, as a bonus to a third Memphis '69 Classic Album FTD, rather than the other way around.

... It would be like throwing "G.I. Blues" outtakes on a bonus third CD to Elvis is Back!

Wrong. You took what elvisalisellers wrote completely out of context.

#1 - There is no possibility of a third (or second) FTD issue to Elvis Is Back! because all 18 songs from those sessions were covered on the one and only release needed. On the other hand it is extremely likely that a third volume of the '69 Memphis sessions is coming from FTD because there are still 10 more songs to be covered from those sessions.

#2 - There was no song recorded in Nashville at the March/April sessions that was used in the movie G.I. Blues... therefore no direct link. However, elvisalisellers has made it perfectly clear about "Rubberneckin' " being recorded at the Memphis sessions and used in Change Of Habit forming a link to the two.

Hope this helps :wink:

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:55 am

No, not those.

;-)

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:57 am

Oh.

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:You are clearly a retail expert!

I'm glad to see that something is finally clear to you!


Oh, many things about you are clear to all. ;-)

The world that you see may seem to be a mystery to you. :smt020 :wink:

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:18 am

:smt005

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:35 am

COH probably will get FTD treatment, I agree, but hopefully not with Memphis 1969 recordings. Let Us Pray, Let's Be Friends, and Have A Happy do not belong on a CD with even the leftovers from Memphis.

They'll figure it out.

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:12 am

stevelecher wrote:COH probably will get FTD treatment, I agree, but hopefully not with Memphis 1969 recordings. Let Us Pray, Let's Be Friends, and Have A Happy do not belong on a CD with even the leftovers from Memphis.
They'll figure it out.

"Let Us Pray" is as good/worthy as "Who Am I".

Yes, they'll figure it out.

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Blue River wrote:ELVIS ~ Winter of '69

Featuring 10 songs recorded in Memphis, January-February 1969
& soundtrack recordings for Change Of Habit, March 1969


Mama Liked The Roses
Don't Cry Daddy
My Little Friend
Rubberneckin'
Hey Jude
I'll Be There
I Can't Stop Loving You
Kentucky Rain
If I'm A Fool
Who Am I

Change Of Habit
Let's Be Friends
Have A Happy
Let Us Pray

:smt020


What a cool title and setlist 8). Can we have a mock cover for this release, please?. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:31 pm

IMO, that Winter of 69 concept would be one weak FTD. I think the better approach will be to attach one of these smaller soundtracks to one without many outtakes, like Roustabout or Kissin' Cousins. Those are weak FTDs too. This is what happens when you get near the end of the gravy train. Slim pickins no matter what they do.

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:40 pm

stevelecher wrote:IMO, that Winter of 69 concept would be one weak FTD.

It is what it is... the remaining 1969 studio recordings by Elvis that FTD hasn't touched on, yet. By including whatever available outtakes along with some undubbed masters, it would be an interesting/enjoyable set. There have been much weaker releases before by Ernst on the FTD label.

stevelecher wrote:... I think the better approach will be to attach one of these smaller soundtracks to one without many outtakes, like Roustabout or Kissin' Cousins. Those are weak FTDs too.

If you're suggesting combining Roustabout & Kissin' Cousins together in the same set that would certainly make sense, but to put one of them with 1969 material wouldn't make any sense at all.

Re: How about a 1969 Change of Habit album?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:39 am

Change of Habit is too good of a song, both rocking and socially political, to be put on a throwaway album like proposed. I'd like to see Sony remix-remaster the best of the 1969 tracks and include COH as a bonus track for a new album. Then FTD do an extended version of that mainstream album with alternate takes and include the instrumental tracks.