Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Question about EIC

Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:37 am

Christopher wrote:
lpa wrote:
stevelecher wrote:That footage is totally Elvis In Concert and not CBS tapes.

what's the difference? I thought EIC was taped by CBS.

you sound like a newbie, but i don´t want you to die stupid (as we say in germany).

Well, I am a newie but I appreciate your german generosity. And so did Elvis.
Christopher wrote:elvis in concert" is the 45 min. (more or less) tv special, which aired first on october 3rd 1977 (and has never been released officially).the "cbs tapes" are the (more or less) complete concerts from omaha and rapid city (that were mixed into "eic"); never released officially, but unofficially as a video bootleg in the late 90s.

One would think that if EIC consists of footage from "The CBS tapes" the quality would be about the same. Or if you edit the CBS tapes and change the tittle to "Elvis In Concert" the quality improves dramatically for no reason?

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:44 pm

lpa wrote:
Christopher wrote:
lpa wrote:
stevelecher wrote:That footage is totally Elvis In Concert and not CBS tapes.

what's the difference? I thought EIC was taped by CBS.

you sound like a newbie, but i don´t want you to die stupid (as we say in germany).

Well, I am a newie but I appreciate your german generosity. And so did Elvis.
Christopher wrote:elvis in concert" is the 45 min. (more or less) tv special, which aired first on october 3rd 1977 (and has never been released officially).the "cbs tapes" are the (more or less) complete concerts from omaha and rapid city (that were mixed into "eic"); never released officially, but unofficially as a video bootleg in the late 90s.

One would think that if EIC consists of footage from "The CBS tapes" the quality would be about the same. Or if you edit the CBS tapes and change the tittle to "Elvis In Concert" the quality improves dramatically for no reason?

i always like to help a fellow fan out.

the reason for differences in quality is, "elvis in concert" aired on televion. there were video cassette recorders available in ´77/´78, so home viewers taped it. that´s why we have the tv special in good video quality.
while the raw tapes of the omaha/rapid city concerts were never intended for an official release. those copies came from uncertain sources (maybe a few here know more; i don´t), maybe stolen, what ever, and then (that´s how the game goes) copied, copied again and again, until someone put those worsened copies (copy from video is not as lossless as a digital copy) - generations away from the original tape - on the black market.
even the quality on the "final curtain" bootleg is not the best we can get, as it once was shot in tv quality.
i´m sure, that a small number of good connected collectors have the cbs tapes in a quality that stems from a few copy generations earlier than on that box set.
and who knows? - maybe the cbs tapes were intentionally downgraded in picture quality to conserve it´s value.
the profit for the bootlegers would be to sell the same old footage again in a few years in improved image quality.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:06 am

Christopher wrote: the reason for differences in quality is, "elvis in concert" aired on televion. there were video cassette recorders available in ´77/´78, so home viewers taped it. that´s why we have the tv special in good video quality.
while the raw tapes of the omaha/rapid city concerts were never intended for an official release. those copies came from uncertain sources (maybe a few here know more; i don´t), maybe stolen, what ever, and then (that´s how the game goes) copied, copied again and again, until someone put those worsened copies (copy from video is not as lossless as a digital copy) - generations away from the original tape - on the black market.
even the quality on the "final curtain" bootleg is not the best we can get, as it once was shot in tv quality.
i´m sure, that a small number of good connected collectors have the cbs tapes in a quality that stems from a few copy generations earlier than on that box set.
and who knows? - maybe the cbs tapes were intentionally downgraded in picture quality to conserve it´s value.
the profit for the bootlegers would be to sell the same old footage again in a few years in improved image quality.

If someone had access to the "tapes" I found very likely that he/she had access to the aired version as well, it was probably sitting next to them. I don't know how many VCRs were in 1977 apart from Elvis' one, but even if there were thousands the quality of the recording had to be poor to say the least. Home video tape recordings age very bad, and this video doesn't have the slightest sign of being 35 years old (apart from the fact that Elvis Presley is in it), go grab the last VHS tape you ever bought and play it today (if you still have a VCR) and see.
My point is that judging from quality of the video I'd say that it comes from a professional source, someone could have made a copy on a better kind of tape, I don''t know U-matic or something like that, it doesn't seem to come from a tape recorded at somebody's home, which I understand it's what you call "Elvis In Concert".

Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
robg wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
SteveFBS wrote:The constant bickering on this board is pointless and annoying.

Totally!

::rocks

He's talking about you numb nuts. :lol: :oops: :wink:

How dare he talk about my numb nuts! ;-)

It's okay. They didn't feel a thing.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:48 am

There were lots of VCR's in 77 and 78. I taped the CBS Special on a Betamax I machine myself in 1978. That machine actually taped in better quality than later machines which taped for longer periods of time on the same amount of tape.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:11 am

Withe the amounts of EIC topics we'[ve seen over the years it does make sense to remaster both Omaha and Rapid City but only on FTD classic albums series :mrgreen:

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:13 am

stevelecher wrote:There were lots of VCR's in 77 and 78. I taped the CBS Special on a Betamax I machine myself in 1978. That machine actually taped in better quality than later machines which taped for longer periods of time on the same amount of tape.

You wouldn't happen to have the tape around by any chance, would you?

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:40 pm

fg76 wrote: He just never would have been famous if he had started out like that.

So why the hell are you so obsessed with Elvis 1976 shows?

I'm sorry, but you're a bleedin' crackpot! :?

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:33 pm

There are a number of performances in the June 1977 footage where Elvis is making an effort, but I always thought the medley wasn't one of them. After early 1972 it should have been thrown out.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:37 pm

Mike Eder wrote:There are a number of performances in the June 1977 footage where Elvis is making an effort, but I always thought the medley wasn't one of them. After early 1972 it should have been thrown out.

Agreed, After the famous on tour filming perhaps
the teddy bear dont be cruel medley was actually still ''fun'' in hampton roads (As seen on the lost performances)

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:51 pm

lpa wrote:If someone had access to the "tapes" I found very likely that he/she had access to the aired version as well, it was probably sitting next to them. I don't know how many VCRs were in 1977 apart from Elvis' one, but even if there were thousands the quality of the recording had to be poor to say the least. Home video tape recordings age very bad, and this video doesn't have the slightest sign of being 35 years old (apart from the fact that Elvis Presley is in it), go grab the last VHS tape you ever bought and play it today (if you still have a VCR) and see.

according to wikipedia.org, betamax came in 1975 and vhs in 1976. reportedly betamax had the superior image quality (see steveleechers post).
while video quality wasn´t exactly tv standard, the quality didn´t have to be poor, as you claim. i watched a copy from a home video tape with the german version of "eic" (taped in ´78) in the 80s and it looked good to these eyes (like a first generation copy).

talking about tape deterioration, you got a point.

still, one can imagine, that if fans stored their video in good storage conditions and converted it to dvd in the beginning of the 2000s, they could have kept their treasure in ok quality until today.
it looks, as if video, cds and dvds are not suitable for long-term archiving, even if wikipedia assumes a lifespan of 100 years for factorypressed (!) dvds.
ain´t that depressing for collectors? when i build my video collection in the 80s, i thought it was for eternity - time to hurry up transferring our old tapes for many of us!

lpa wrote:My point is that judging from quality of the video I'd say that it comes from a professional source, someone could have made a copy on a better kind of tape, I don''t know U-matic or something like that, it doesn't seem to come from a tape recorded at somebody's home, which I understand it's what you call "Elvis In Concert".

talking about the "elvis in concert" copy on the set we´re not allowed to mention, boxcar claimed they used a tv station tape.
since this set was promoted as hell, it´s up to everyone to believe it (and other assertions) or not (file it under "promotional strategies").