Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:08 am

Exogenesis wrote:
Rob wrote:I've always been partial to the C.C. Rider, Proud Mary, Never Been To Spain openings from '72.

+1

+2

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:58 am

Jokerlola wrote:You know, I like all of his opening numbers and they were perfect for their time but I think he did See See Rider just a little too long and he needed a new one. Big Boss Man was interesting in 74. Did he come out to 2001 when he did that or did he just come out to the BBM riff?

What other songs would have been good opening numbers?

Some that I think would have been:

Good Rockin Tonight
Johnny Be Goode
Tiger Man
A really awesome opening would have been to recreate the 68 Comeback opening with "Trouble into Guitar Man"!

I think Tiger Man was done once as an opener in August 1970.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:36 am

"Thats All Right" for me...love that he opened with his first record, and that I got to see it a couple times. I also like "See See Rider" as well when he really attacked the song like in EOT. Would loved to have heard a MSG version of SSR.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:36 pm

Tiger Man could very well be done more regularly as an opener (I have it from 19-8-70 DS), but Good Rockin' Tonight also!
How about Viva Las Vegas in a new arrangement, could have sounded nice and appropriate in Vegas.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:40 pm

Might be an interesting project, to create a new sounding show with a diff opener , changed running order and new closer ? worth a listen i believe .......

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:02 pm

It’s strange that “CC Rider” became the popular choice when there were so many great hits to choose from. A ‘signature’ song would have been more appropriate really. Also I much prefer the February 1970 versions of “CC” when it was performed mid set. It’s a Vegas arrangement, but Elvis still had that raw edge to his voice, and it’s bluesier that the arrangement that became the show opener.

“That’s All Right” is the most effective opener for me, but as this was mainly used in the earlier ‘70’s when Elvis was still on top of his game, I wish it had been performed mid set occasionally, as again the arrangement would have been better, and we may have got another chance to hear some of EP’s excellent rhythm playing.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:01 am

ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Heartbreak Hotel.

A great 50's opener!!!!! 8)

A great opener in shows from 1956 to 1968, one which will never be topped.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:03 am

Rob wrote:I've always been partial to the C.C. Rider, Proud Mary, Never Been To Spain openings from '72.

I've always been partial to noodle ring.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:00 pm

My first choice would be 'C.C. Rider', especially the version from Memphis, March 20th 1974. Although I do love 'that's all right' from MSG 1972 also ::rocks

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:17 pm

That's All Right Mama never should have been omitted from any show, whether as an opener or mid-set. It should have always been introduced as 'my first record' and a shot out to Sun records would have also been nice. These are some of the things that always annoyed me with an Elvis 70's show. No narrative about the song, historical content, etc. It was just bang-bang song after song , most of which had nothing to do with Elvis. Oh yeah, I know he introduced Hound Dog as a 1912 Ed Sullivan song. Funny stuff.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:I believe that during one show in August 1975, Elvis did a medly of That's All Right and See See Rider as the opener... By the way, was that rehearsed or was Elvis just making it up as he went that night?

He "winged" it... there was nothing calculated or rehearsed about that performance.

Thanks I appreciate your response.

Still a shame that Elvis wasn't more creative like that one night in August 1975. I might be wrong, but parts of "My Baby Left Me" seem very similar to "That's All Right" and could have made a great opening number as That's All Right--My Baby Left Me--See See Rider...., Oh welll, what could have been.....

rlj

That's because That's Allright and My Baby Left Me have almost the same arrangement. Especially if you listen to the 1974 version of my baby left me. It's even by the same guy Big Arthur Crudup.

On the International Submarine Band's "Safe At Home" album, Gram Parsons sings both of these in a medley with Folsom Prison Blues. I'm not sure if My Baby Left Me was mentioned on the sleeve though. It's not on the CD.

As for Elvis' best opener, See See Rider from '72 or That's All Right. Like Rob, I'm partial to the triple shot of See See Rider, Proud Mary and Never Been To Spain.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:33 am

To me That's Alright Mama should have been his signature opening for his shows. Although I do think Big Boss Man was a great opener, still to this day I don't get why it was tossed. Do we have any proof from anyone that was close to Elvis that said he was discouraged from the so called mediocre response the audience gave him? Here I am sitting listening to this show on "If You Talk In Your Sleep'' and it is a great concert, don't know why the people wouldn't enjoy it. Still confuses me to this day.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:49 pm

memphisound wrote:To me That's Alright Mama should have been his signature opening for his shows. Although I do think Big Boss Man was a great opener, still to this day I don't get why it was tossed. Do we have any proof from anyone that was close to Elvis that said he was discouraged from the so called mediocre response the audience gave him? Here I am sitting listening to this show on "If You Talk In Your Sleep'' and it is a great concert, don't know why the people wouldn't enjoy it. Still confuses me to this day.

I tend to agree with you. The audience on the recordings I have heard, seem very receptive to the show. Elvis' comments about them being a good audience would support that. Perhaps it wasn't the audeince, but Elvis who was insecure with the new set list(?).

rlj

Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:44 pm

It was definitely Elvis and NOT the audience. Elvis simply went right back into his comfort zone. I have heard the audience recording and the reaction from the crowd was no less than usual.

Elvis may have used that as an excuse, but he simply wasn't comfortable with it himself.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:37 pm

My choice is always That's All Right. Because it is the song that started all. So for me it is the start for his concerts. Blue Suede Shoes not as opener. Too many Carl Perkins for his opening. All Shook Up is IMO a bad opener. I'm tired of CC because we have too many concerts with this opening. But it is a real treasure in 1970.