Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Ciscoking wrote:I think That`s All Right as show opener is just fantastic..I really also like the 1977 versions quite a lot..

so im not the only one :D :D (i also like the version of this song from may 3 1977 as showopener)

Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:59 pm

This song is a very special one anyway.....it fits perfectly.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:38 pm

'That's All Right Mama'.

Brian

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:09 pm

I've always been partial to the C.C. Rider, Proud Mary, Never Been To Spain openings from '72.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:56 pm

I love the Blue suede shoes and Thats all right opening songs
but sure Mystery train / Tiger man , Heartbreak Hotel , All shook up are great too !

other suggestions -
King of the whole wide world
His latest flame
Viva Las vegas

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:13 pm

california boy wrote:I love the Blue suede shoes and Thats all right opening songs
but sure Mystery train / Tiger man , Heartbreak Hotel , All shook up are great too !

other suggestions -
His latest flame
Viva Las vegas

I always wondered why he never tried out Viva Las Vegas in Vegas! Its a natural and almost has become that town's anthem.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:27 pm

Blue Suede Shoes from '69 is tops.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:35 pm

I like all of his opening songs but if I have to choose one it will probably be
"That`s all Right Mama"

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:49 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:I believe that during one show in August 1975, Elvis did a medly of That's All Right and See See Rider as the opener... By the way, was that rehearsed or was Elvis just making it up as he went that night?

He "winged" it... there was nothing calculated or rehearsed about that performance.

Thanks I appreciate your response.

Still a shame that Elvis wasn't more creative like that one night in August 1975. I might be wrong, but parts of "My Baby Left Me" seem very similar to "That's All Right" and could have made a great opening number as That's All Right--My Baby Left Me--See See Rider...., Oh welll, what could have been.....

rlj

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:52 pm

My Baby Left Me would have been a great opening number!

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:53 pm

r&b wrote:
california boy wrote:I love the Blue suede shoes and Thats all right opening songs

other suggestions -
His latest flame
Viva Las vegas

I always wondered why he never tried out Viva Las Vegas in Vegas! Its a natural and almost has become that town's anthem.

Elvis was more than happy when he was out of the movie contracts and all..no more movie songs..besides the known..I think that is the reason..

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:58 pm

No more movie songs?

Teddy Bear
Love Me Tender
Can't Help Falling In Love
Jailhouse Rock

Shall I go on?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Rob wrote:No more movie songs?

Teddy Bear
Love Me Tender
Can't Help Falling In Love
Jailhouse Rock

Shall I go on?

I said "besides the known"..meaning the few he had sung...I think he took those
cause they where not only movie songs but world hits..songs that made Elvis..other
than King Of The Whole...or Viva LAs Vegas....

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Elvis was "made" before any of those songs were heard.

I think he didn't do 'Viva Las Vegas' in concert because he just wasn't crazy about the song -- no more, no less.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:19 pm

rlj4ep wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:I believe that during one show in August 1975, Elvis did a medly of That's All Right and See See Rider as the opener... By the way, was that rehearsed or was Elvis just making it up as he went that night?

He "winged" it... there was nothing calculated or rehearsed about that performance.

Thanks I appreciate your response.

Still a shame that Elvis wasn't more creative like that one night in August 1975. I might be wrong, but parts of "My Baby Left Me" seem very similar to "That's All Right" and could have made a great opening number as That's All Right--My Baby Left Me--See See Rider...., Oh welll, what could have been.....

rlj

That's because That's Allright and My Baby Left Me have almost the same arrangement. Especially if you listen to the 1974 version of my baby left me. It's even by the same guy Big Arthur Crudup.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:20 pm

Lennart wrote:My Baby Left Me would have been a great opening number!

I agree, but it wouldn't have been reseived much diffrently then thats allright mama, specially since it has the same tune,

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:26 pm

Rob wrote:Elvis was "made" before any of those songs were heard.

They belonged to his greatest hits..they also "made" this man. It was not only Don`t Be Cruel.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Blue Suede Shoes for me.....

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Elvis had to open the show with a fast number to get the momentum going. I love either Blue Suede Shoes or That's All Right as openers. I feel the song should have been one identified with him to open HIS show. I never understood CC Rider. He never recorded it and it had nothing to do with him at all. A good song, but I prefer it like it was in Feb 1970, part of the show itself.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:04 pm

"See see rider" for me...

Listen to almost any audiencerecording.
The crowdreaction after those first words: "Oh see..." even at his last concert.
A sense of "yeah, it's the king!!".
Last edited by JohanD on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:37 pm

I'm tired of most "See See Riders", but the 28-12-76 version in Dallas always does the trick for me: rock 'n' roll all the way, and Ronnie's frenetic drumming is out-of-this-world during this show.
One of the few times that both he and Elvis were both totally "up" for a show in 1976, Ronnie didn't need to -figuratively- kick him in the butt during this gig.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:02 pm

You know, I like all of his opening numbers and they were perfect for their time but I think he did See See Rider just a little too long and he needed a new one. Big Boss Man was interesting in 74. Did he come out to 2001 when he did that or did he just come out to the BBM riff?

What other songs would have been good opening numbers?

Some that I think would have been:

Good Rockin Tonight
Johnny Be Goode
Tiger Man
A really awesome opening would have been to recreate the 68 Comeback opening with "Trouble into Guitar Man"!

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:08 pm

There was no 2001 opening on 8/19/74.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:29 pm

I like THAT'S ALLRIGHT/BLUE SUEDE SHOES and C.C.RIDER....... i would have liked to hear VIVA LAS VEGAS open a Vegas show....but most likely it would have made Elvis sick to do so!~ :?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Rob wrote:I've always been partial to the C.C. Rider, Proud Mary, Never Been To Spain openings from '72.

+1