Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:50 am

When Elvis returned to the live concert stage in 1969, he opened the show with Blue Suede Shoes, a fine in your face rocking opening number with which he was identified with. The Jan/Feb '70 season it was All Shook Up, another classic song, but not as powerful an opener. In Aug '70 it was That's All Right, and he used that right into 1972. This song made the most sense to me, but believe it or not, there were folks not as familiar with it as they were Blue Suede Shoes (think blue haired rinsed ladies in Vegas who didn't know a thing before Heartbreak Hotel!). Then from 1973- 77 it was CC Rider, a fine song, but it never made sense to me to open an Elvis show. I would like to know what song members feel was the best opener. My vote is for Blue Suede Shoes, with That's All Right a close second.

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:52 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66526

I'd say a tie between See See Rider and That's All Right.

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:57 am

Blue Suede Shoes in 1969 is an easy choice for me.

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:00 am

Heartbreak Hotel.

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:15 am

r&b wrote:When Elvis returned to the live concert stage in 1969, he opened the show with Blue Suede Shoes, a fine in your face rocking opening number with which he was identified with. The Jan/Feb '70 season it was All Shook Up, another classic song, but not as powerful an opener. In Aug '70 it was That's All Right, and he used that right into 1972. This song made the most sense to me, but believe it or not, there were folks not as familiar with it as they were Blue Suede Shoes (think blue haired rinsed ladies in Vegas who didn't know a thing before Heartbreak Hotel!). Then from 1973- 77 it was CC Rider, a fine song, but it never made sense to me to open an Elvis show. I would like to know what song members feel was the best opener. My vote is for Blue Suede Shoes, with That's All Right a close second.

That's All Right - his first record. Great song, great choice, and great way to open a show.

All Shook Up was such an oddball choice to open the Winter 1970 engagement.

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:56 am

Big Boss Man - Vegas, August 19 1974. Pity the crowds were lukewarm. The Vegas crowd sucked that night.

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:59 am

Robt wrote:Big Boss Man - Vegas, August 19 1974. Pity the crowds were lukewarm. The Vegas crowd sucked that night.

It isn't a great arrangement really. Sanitised Vegas "blues" - nothing like the original track, or Elvis' single.

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:01 am

Always loved "That's All Right, Mama" as the opener

rlj

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:03 am

I believe that during one show in August 1975, Elvis did a medly of That's All Right and See See Rider as the opener. Too bad he didn't do that more often.

By the way, was that rehearsed or was Elvis just making it up as he went that night?

rlj

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:07 am

Matthew wrote:
Robt wrote:Big Boss Man - Vegas, August 19 1974. Pity the crowds were lukewarm. The Vegas crowd sucked that night.

It isn't a great arrangement really. Sanitised Vegas "blues" - nothing like the original track, or Elvis' single.


Well it is a subjective thing. I like it cause it was done different to the 1967 studio cut. But you are also right about That's Alright Mama, I agree with your reasons.

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:51 am

fg76?

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:54 am

Robt wrote:Big Boss Man - Vegas, August 19 1974. Pity the crowds were lukewarm. The Vegas crowd sucked that night.


Elvis was hardly on top form either. Interesting set lists don't make up for a mediocre performance. Compare Presley's energy level to January 1972 opening, for example.

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Heartbreak Hotel.


A great 50's opener!!!!! 8)

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:19 am

InheritTheWind wrote:Blue Suede Shoes in 1969 is an easy choice for me.


A really rocking opener!!!!! 8)

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:57 am

All Shook Up :)

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:09 am

I'm torn between Blue Suede Shoes and That's all right mama...........................love 'em both as openers.......................... :D

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 am

See See Rider for me.

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:18 am

rlj4ep wrote:I believe that during one show in August 1975, Elvis did a medly of That's All Right and See See Rider as the opener... By the way, was that rehearsed or was Elvis just making it up as he went that night?

He "winged" it... there was nothing calculated or rehearsed about that performance.

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:57 am

Always thought the MYSTERY TRAIN/TIGER MAN medley would have tore the place up ........

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:13 am

Didn't he open once with Tiger Man?

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:16 pm

That's All Right, the TTWII versions.

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Jokerlola wrote:Didn't he open once with Tiger Man?


Las Vegas, NV August 19th DS CD Double Dynamite, CD 1

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:26 pm

My Say is ''See See Rider/That's Allright Mama'' that elvis only done once, But i liked that medley elvis was ''Into'' it. my second fav opening is Big Boss Man (How could anybody not like the august 19 1974 show?? I don't think it was mediocre. Then Comes That's allright Mama and then Blue Suede Shoes.

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:38 pm

How about changing the set-list as a whole over the years?

However, C.C./See See Rider still doesn't bore me, till this day.

Re: Elvis' Greatest Opening Song - Which One?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:43 pm

I think That`s All Right as show opener is just fantastic..I really also like the 1977 versions quite a lot..