Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

When Elvis Stole Actress Eileen Heckart's Paper !

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:31 pm

Hollywood and Elvis: there are so many little stories left to discover, such as when Elvis was caught stealing award-winning actress Eileen Heckart's daily paper, the Hollywood Reporter!

Heckart, an unabashed fan despite being nearly 16 years older, told the amusing story in her son's posthumous biography:

060501_Just Outside_Yankee_cover.JPG
060501_Just Outside_Yankee_p71.JPG
060501_Just Outside_Yankee_p72.JPG
Luke Yankee, Just Outside the Spotlight: Growing Up with Eileen Heckart (New York: Back Stage Books, May 1, 2006)

Elvis was pictured more than once visiting the Paramount set of "Hot Spell," Daniel Mann's film, while making "Loving You." He had an ... interest in actress Valerie Allen.

570200_w Valerie Allen_Hot Spell set.JPG
With actress Valerie Allen - February 1957
On the set of Paramount's "Hot Spell"

Hot Spell (film)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Spell_(film)

Elvis was also seen with Eileen and star Shirley Booth:

570200_w Eileen Heckart_Shirley Booth_Hot Spell set.JPG
With actresses Eileen Heckart, Shirley Booth - February 1957
On the set of Paramount's "Hot Spell"

There's no doubt that this little tale of thievery is true, although several questions arise.

[See next post !]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: When Elvis Stole Actress Eileen Heckart's Paper !

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:37 pm

What is curious about Eileen's vignette:

1) Who was the "burly, middle-aged man" who snatched her paper each morning?

2) Would Heckart still have been working on "Hot Spell" in January 1958?
The film was indeed released in June 1958, quite a long development schedule.

3) Did Elvis own a "shiny, cream-colored Cadillac" with "white leather seats and ... a bar on one side" in January 1958?
Elvis picked up a fancy, Cadillac Series 75 Fleetwood limousine in 1960 and had it customized by George Barris.

1960 Cadillac_Nashville.JPG
1960 Cadillac Series 75 Fleetwood limousine in Nashville

660200_w Gold Cadillac.JPG
Elvis with 1960 Cadillac - Ascot Park Raceway, Gardena, CA, February 1966

So, some of the pieces ... don't quite fit. Any ideas?

My guess is that Heckart re-encountered Elvis and had her purloined paper experience when the singer was making "G.I. Blues" at Paramount in 1960. Eileen had just finished her role in George Cukor's "Heller In Pink Tights" for the studio, and this would explain the fancy Cadillac Elvis invited her to check out.

Heller In Pink Tights
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heller_in_Pink_Tights

And the "burly man" Heckart chased down just might have been Presley bodyguard Bitsy Mott:

600528_w Esposito_Diskin_Mott_Las Vegas.JPG
In Las Vegas, taking a weekend break from "G. I. Blues" - Saturday, May 28, 1960
With Joe Esposito, Tom Diskin, Bitsy Mott

---
Note: this is actually following up on an old post from another topic:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54758&p=794516#p792103
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:04 am

Could it have been Marty Lacker? Could it have been in 1957 when he apparently was around her, as the picture proves? Whatever the case, look at her smile as she gazes at Elvis. That girl is smitten.

Miss Heckart gave a wonderful performance as Sister Veronica in one of the best (two part) episodes of the classic TV series, The Fugitive.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:54 am

I didn't know she was an Elvis fan.

I loved her in the film Butterflies are free.

Thank you for posting this Dr.Carpenter.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:10 pm

Very nice post! Keep those coming! ::rocks

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:49 pm

I love these little stories. Thanks for posting.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:48 pm

an interesting side note here:
Back in the 1968-1972 period, when i was a kid, Shirley Booth was my next door neighbor on Cape Cod. She was stand-offish at first and reclusive, but she wanted to be neighborly so she often talked to our family at the gate to her house (BTW she lived in a cottage, not a mansion). I told her once that i was an Elvis fan and she said she met him three times but offered no further details about these meetings (i believe she had memory problems). But she did describe him as a "all around nice boy".
Nice to see a photo that validates at least one of those meetings.

::rocks

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:59 am

stevelecher wrote:Could it have been Marty Lacker? Could it have been in 1957 when he apparently was around her, as the picture proves? Whatever the case, look at her smile as she gazes at Elvis. That girl is smitten.

Miss Heckart gave a wonderful performance as Sister Veronica in one of the best (two part) episodes of the classic TV series, The Fugitive.

Marty Lacker was not a part of the entourage yet. The incident is not likely from 1957, due to the vehicle Heckart touts, and the fact that she references the event as after she had finished "Hot Spell."

In the photo on the "Hot Spell" set, Eileen does seem as "gaga" over Elvis as her son claims in his book.

Look closely and you will further note that both Heckart and Booth have removed their glasses when speaking with Elvis. Ah, the power of beauty.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:05 am

brian wrote:I didn't know she was an Elvis fan.

I loved her in the film Butterflies are free.

Thank you for posting this Dr.Carpenter.

One suspects Elvis set many an actress's heart a-flutter when he hit Hollywood in 1956.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:01 am

Could there be a possibility that the big burly man might have been Lamar Fike instead? Seems like at the time...he also fit that description, and he was there also...plus, it seems like something Lamar would do.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50050

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:40 am

Lexie1973 wrote:Very nice post! Keep those coming! ::rocks

Thanks!

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:38 am

KevinK wrote:I love these little stories. Thanks for posting.

They are just tiny pieces of the puzzle, but still fun to uncover and share. Thanks.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 pm

elvisbot wrote:an interesting side note here:
Back in the 1968-1972 period, when i was a kid, Shirley Booth was my next door neighbor on Cape Cod. She was stand-offish at first and reclusive, but she wanted to be neighborly so she often talked to our family at the gate to her house (BTW she lived in a cottage, not a mansion). I told her once that i was an Elvis fan and she said she met him three times but offered no further details about these meetings (i believe she had memory problems). But she did describe him as a "all around nice boy".
Nice to see a photo that validates at least one of those meetings.

::rocks

Nice story. Maybe Shirley Booth met him three times on the set of "Hot Spell."

Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Thank you Doc, brought a smile to my face on a miserable day!

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:44 pm

Liverbobs wrote:Thank you Doc, brought a smile to my face on a miserable day!

If I made someone here happy, then I've done my job! ;-)