Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Tape speed

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:10 pm

That's only MYTH
Guitar Man, MSG Album and Burning Love I used to play my burning love with pitch down in LP days it sound more Elvis and punchy at the time but I guess it only MYTH...

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:37 pm

TJ wrote:I do have a musical ear. Relax. The bulk of Elvis' fine musical output was released as recorded. If you play along with the songs, they are in the keys that you would expect.

To further settle your concerns, consider that very many songs have outtakes released and these outtakes are in the same key as the masters. That wouldn't be the case if the masters had been subject to speed changes.

Hello, Earth!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:00 pm

dannyboy1 wrote:The only people who insist that MSG was not speeded up are those who have never experimented to determine the truth. It WAS speeded up as any experimentation will show you. Much of EOT was speeded up also. Such a shame they speeded up the MSG footage to match the sound rather than slowing the audio to match the film.

I agree, a good example is proud mary shown in on tour, if u put the track from the close up box which is the same version under it, u can definatly see that the on tour version is speeded up.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Help!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:10 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
dannyboy1 wrote:The only people who insist that MSG was not speeded up are those who have never experimented to determine the truth. It WAS speeded up as any experimentation will show you. Much of EOT was speeded up also. Such a shame they speeded up the MSG footage to match the sound rather than slowing the audio to match the film.

I agree, a good example is proud mary shown in on tour, if u put the track from the close up box which is the same version under it, u can definatly see that the on tour version is speeded up.

Maybe you're watching a PAL DVD...?

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:23 pm

Well I just compared Guitar Main on the 60s box to the Complete Masters version, I cannot discern a differenct in speed. But I can say this, the Complete Masters version sounds a LOT better!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:18 pm

skatterbrane wrote:Well I just compared Guitar Main on the 60s box to the Complete Masters version, I cannot discern a differenct in speed. But I can say this, the Complete Masters version sounds a LOT better!

For some unknown reason (to me), the 60's box version of "Guitar Man" runs a little too fast... I noticed it the first time I heard it back in the late 90's.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 pm

JimmyCool wrote:For some unknown reason (to me), the 60's box version of "Guitar Man" runs a little too fast... I noticed it the first time I heard it back in the late 90's.

A mastering error originally noted online here:

Guitar Man - UPA4 2765 - September 10 (Sun.): 18:00 - 00:00

Take 12 (M) 3:00 including What'd I Say
Blue Suede Shoes Ballet(~2.4% too fast)+60's Box 3 / 60's Box 3(~2.4% fast)

Take 12 (M) 2:19 Master faded before going into What'd I Say
Speedway, Clambake CD (O ) /Tomorrow Is a Long Time (R, ~2.4% too fast)

Studio Sessions for RCA, September 10-12, 1967
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s670910.htm

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:06 am

Only on PAL is On Tour or any other movie sped up. This is why I purchase all movies in NTSC format. It's easy to check, just play along on the piano.