Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Where Did They Go Lord

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:16 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:I don't think the problem was ballads versus rockers. Don't Cry Daddy, The Wonder of You and You Don't Have to Say You Love Me did well on the charts. Suspicious Minds was hardly a rocker - at least the studio version. Elvis just wasn't releasing strong material as singles in 71.

The problem was not not quite ballads versus rockers, but all of the above mentioned songs had aspects that "Lord" did not: "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" was loud and bombastic and piggy-backed on an earlier hit version; "The Wonder of You" is a big uplifting ballad; "Suspicious Minds" is propulsive soul ballad with a seriously infectious groove. I still don't fully understand why the bathetic "Don't Cry Daddy" was a hit, but perhaps it received a lift from the success of the TV Special and because its folk-like sound was something of a novelty. By contrast "Lord" was a downbeat track best suited for an album and "Rags" was a cover of an old standard. Neither was suitably as single to represent Elvis to the world as either a hip contemporary artist or passionate romantic idol, as his earlier hits did.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:42 pm

Thats true of course, i did only say "rocked a bit" and SM did that for sure .......... i agree with Don't Cry Daddy, The Wonder of You and You Don't Have to Say You Love Me, but they sort of rode on the back of TTWII and the Vegas success, we all know after the album release even his later album releases struggled, let alone singles ........

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:20 am

What a lovely song!

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:41 am

Revelator wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:I don't think the problem was ballads versus rockers. Don't Cry Daddy, The Wonder of You and You Don't Have to Say You Love Me did well on the charts. Suspicious Minds was hardly a rocker - at least the studio version. Elvis just wasn't releasing strong material as singles in 71.

I still don't fully understand why the bathetic "Don't Cry Daddy" was a hit, but perhaps it received a lift from the success of the TV Special and because its folk-like sound was something of a novelty.

It was a good song.

A lot of songs with similar subject matters were hits during that time period.

''Don't cry daddy'' was even less bombastic and over the top than those other songs were.