Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Where Did They Go Lord

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:07 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
dennyelvis wrote:Where Did They Go Lord ? do u think this deserved to be an A side release ? we know it was flip on the Rags To Riches / Where Did They Go Lord single, but the more i hear it i prefer it over Rags .......

It appears to have been the original choice for the A-side, but pop radio liked "Rags to Riches" better. That a second-tier Frazier and Owens tune, with laborious melody and overwrought lyric, was slotted for A-side consideration amply displays how much the bar had dropped in just a year's time. It is a forgettable recording. At the beginning of 1970, the new Presley single was the magnificent "Kentucky Rain."

Sadly, the public and radio didn't pay attention to the magnificent "Kentucky Rain", hence its number 16 zenith in the charts.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:25 pm

I quite like it, but agree with most that it's nothing extraordinary.
The first time I heard it was on "He Walks Beside Me" back in '78. I remember being puzzled that it featured on this collection of "favorite songs of faith and inspiration" along with "Padre". I imagine some RCA exec chose them purely because the titles sounded like they fit the theme. :roll:

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:11 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:Rags to riches should have been the A-side, like the radio stations proved when they played this song instead of the regular A-side.

Neither track should have been a featured A-side for Elvis Presley. He needed new, vibrant material, not 18 year-old Tony Bennett covers.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Mike C wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
dennyelvis wrote:Where Did They Go Lord ? do u think this deserved to be an A side release ? we know it was flip on the Rags To Riches / Where Did They Go Lord single, but the more i hear it i prefer it over Rags .......

It appears to have been the original choice for the A-side, but pop radio liked "Rags to Riches" better. That a second-tier Frazier and Owens tune, with laborious melody and overwrought lyric, was slotted for A-side consideration amply displays how much the bar had dropped in just a year's time. It is a forgettable recording. At the beginning of 1970, the new Presley single was the magnificent "Kentucky Rain."

Sadly, the public and radio didn't pay attention to the magnificent "Kentucky Rain", hence its number 16 zenith in the charts.

Actually, "Kentucky Rain" garnered a lot of radio play and very good sales despite the relatively low chart placing on Billboard. It's still heard on radio today, a certifiable classic, unlike "Where Did They Go Lord."

In CashBox, "Kentucky Rain" made a strong debut on February 14, at #45:
http://cashboxmagazine.com/archives/70s_files/1970.html

And this final American Sound single reached CashBox #10 on March 14:
http://hitsofalldecades.com/chart_hits/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1459&Itemid=52

That management never scheduled a round of 1970 sessions with Chips Moman was yet another huge mistake.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:02 pm

Steelback wrote:I quite like it, but agree with most that it's nothing extraordinary.
The first time I heard it was on "He Walks Beside Me" back in '78. I remember being puzzled that it featured on this collection of "favorite songs of faith and inspiration" along with "Padre". I imagine some RCA exec chose them purely because the titles sounded like they fit the theme. :roll:

Yup. That March 1978 compilation -- the first major RCA release after Elvis' death and the "Elvis In Concert" soundtrack -- was a sore example of RCA producer Joan Deary's lack of insight. She thought it was a religious song. It had "Lord" in the title.

Deary made a similar call on the pop ballad "Padre." Everyone knows that "padre" means father, as in a priest. And a song about a priest must be religious. Right?

Joan's next album project, in early August, was Elvis Sings for Children and Grownups Too. Is it any wonder hardcore fans were desperately supportive of the superb bootlegs coming out that year?

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:14 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Steelback wrote:I quite like it, but agree with most that it's nothing extraordinary.

Yup. That March 1978 compilation -- the first major RCA release after Elvis' death and the "Elvis In Concert" soundtrack -- was a sore example of RCA producer Joan Deary's lack of insight. She thought it was a religious song. It had "Lord" in the title.

Deary made a similar call on the pop ballad "Padre." Everyone knows that "padre" means father, as in a priest. And a song about a priest must be religious. Right?

Joan's next album project, in early August, was Elvis Sings for Children and Grownups Too. Is it any wonder hardcore fans were desperately supportive of the superb bootlegs coming out that year?

A poor time to be an Elvis fan. Ill-conceived releases, usually with a solitary unreleased cut to make collectors spend the cash. If I Can Dream and Big Boots on "He Walks Beside Me" and "sings For Children" respectively if memory serves.
Thankfully Ernst and Roger, first with the Essential series and then FTD were soon to appear.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:57 pm

I still have the card that came with "Elvis Sings For Children and Grownups Too"!

JosephC

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:00 pm

JosephC wrote:I still have the card that came with "Elvis Sings For Children and Grownups Too"!

JosephC

Me too! :oops:

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:05 pm

bajo wrote:I like both songs! But, not single material imo!
Surpisingly Rags To Riches managed to climb within top 10 in the UK.
Looking back I wonder how on earth Elvis would pick songs like these for single releases. :?

I remember reading a music critic's review of the single You'll Never Walk Alone in 1968, where he said that if that was the best Elvis could come up with, for a single, he might as well give up altogether !

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:17 pm

ColinB wrote:I remember reading a music critic's review of the single You'll Never Walk Alone in 1968, where he said that if that was the best Elvis could come up with, for a single, he might as well give up altogether !

Perhaps he missed the purpose of the 45's existence.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:30 pm

ColinB wrote:
bajo wrote: I remember reading a music critic's review of the single You'll Never Walk Alone in 1968, where he said that if that was the best Elvis could come up with, for a single, he might as well give up altogether !

Some blithering idiot of a critic wrote pretty much the same about Promised Land!

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:05 am

Matthew wrote:
ColinB wrote:I remember reading a music critic's review of the single You'll Never Walk Alone in 1968, where he said that if that was the best Elvis could come up with, for a single, he might as well give up altogether !

Sales?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Sales?

Though not specifically a Christian song, the release was issued along with We Call On Him as an inspirational/gospel record for the Easter season. Perhaps this supposed critic missed that context when dismissing the record.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:27 am

Steelback wrote:
JosephC wrote:I still have the card that came with "Elvis Sings For Children and Grownups Too"!

JosephC

And me too....my brother bought me the album and he was actually embarrassed giving it to me lol !!!

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:27 am

Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Sales?

Though not specifically a Christian song, the release was issued along with We Call On Him as an inspirational/gospel record for the Easter season. Perhaps this supposed critic missed that context when dismissing the record.

Maybe. It's more likely the track seemed an anachronism in April 1968, coming from "the King of Rock 'n' Roll."

Billboard Apr 13 1968 p72.JPG
Billboard - April 13, 1968
Note: Billboard spotlight says Elvis is in "top form."

Interesting that RCA considered "We Call On Him" the A-side, at least initially.

In any case, it is unfortunate we cannot read the actual review in context, rather than discuss someone's half-forgotten memory of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:42 am

Steelback wrote:

JosephC

No card in mine. :(

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:17 am

Nice bunch of posts here Doc. Yes, Kentucky Rain is today one of the five most played Elvis oldies on the radio. It is an Elvis classic and one of his great records.

In 1978, it wouldn't be a short time before we started getting good releases from Ernst and Roger. We would endure years of mediocrity before that breakthrough. Thank God for the wonderful batch of bootlegs albums and videos that kept our interest going during that dry period before the record company decided to treat their most successful artist and his fans with some of the respect they deserved.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:01 pm

Kentucky Rain is a great record. Perhaps if it was the follow-up to S. Minds instead of Dont Cry Daddy it would have been top 10. I did hear it on the radio so it wasnt due to lack of airplay. Im not sure why it wasnt a bigger hit. A friend of mine who was stationed in the Army down South Texas says he heard it constantly on the radio and on juke boxes. So perhaps it was too country for the pop charts? As for You'll Never Walk Alone, I was totally disppointed in this as a single in 1968. I was wondering where the heck the career direction was going after the fabulous Guitar Man single. The Easter release theory worked only once with Crying In The Chapel, so the formula had grown tired already. I thought the Col only sticked to formula that continued to be successful?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:30 pm

All this talk about Kentucky Rain not being a big hit - well, you would never know that based on oldies radio. I've been listening to oldies stations since the 80's and Kentucky Rain is always one of the most often played Elvis records. Do oldies stations go out of their way to play songs that were only medium sized hits? Someone must've decided that this was one people wanted to hear.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:15 pm

stevelecher wrote:Nice bunch of posts here Doc. Yes, Kentucky Rain is today one of the five most played Elvis oldies on the radio. It is an Elvis classic and one of his great records.

In 1978, it wouldn't be a short time before we started getting good releases from Ernst and Roger. We would endure years of mediocrity before that breakthrough. Thank God for the wonderful batch of bootlegs albums and videos that kept our interest going during that dry period before the record company decided to treat their most successful artist and his fans with some of the respect they deserved.

Thanks. I agree that the bootlegs were the only records true fans could turn to for continued evidence of how great Elvis could be. RCA wasn't getting the job done, and it seemed like they almost didn't care. I once practically begged Joan Deary to read a letter with suggestions of logical, enriching reissues. I never heard from her again.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 pm

dennyelvis wrote:Where Did They Go Lord ? do u think this deserved to be an A side release ?

I like "Where Did They Go Lord?"--especially since it is passionately sung and the song expresses palpable bewilderment and loss--but it was not a suitable single for the period. As an album track it works quite well, but it had no chance for commercial success as a single. Elvis was trying to cement the commercial success from the American sessions, and he blew his chances. The public wanted something contemporary sounding and preferably with a good beat or groove. Neither "Lord" nor "Rags" fulfill that demand.

the more i hear it i prefer it over Rags

I definitely prefer "Rags to Riches." "Lord" is nice quasi-country number, but "Rags" is a classic standard performed by Elvis with a frenzied, open-armed passion that blows away the decorum granted by Bennett.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:18 pm

This is where working with Chips Moman again would have been extremely helpful.

Elvis singles of 1971 were mostly covers, non commercial or both and ''Where did the go lord'' fits perfectly with that.

With working with Chips Moman again Elvis would have access to better material to pick from for his singles of 1971.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:35 pm

I agree after 69 he sort of blew it, singles wise, we needed more in the vein of Suspicious Minds, and it cant be argued that they didnt exist ! as already stated a single could have been culled from his Elvis Country album, at least one that rocked a bit ........
His ballad prowess was NEVER doubted, but they werent selling sub 62/63 , Ghetto being a rare exception, he needed to prove he could still rock, he could ! but sadly not the charts ........

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:50 pm

It's a bland, forgettable song.

"Rags to Riches" features a mind blowing vocal performance but would not have fared any better as a single.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:05 pm

dennyelvis wrote:I agree after 69 he sort of blew it, singles wise, we needed more in the vein of Suspicious Minds, and it cant be argued that they didnt exist ! as already stated a single could have been culled from his Elvis Country album, at least one that rocked a bit ........
His ballad prowess was NEVER doubted, but they werent selling sub 62/63 , Ghetto being a rare exception, he needed to prove he could still rock, he could ! but sadly not the charts ........

I don't think the problem was ballads versus rockers. Don't Cry Daddy, The Wonder of You and You Don't Have to Say You Love Me did well on the charts. Suspicious Minds was hardly a rocker - at least the studio version. Elvis just wasn't releasing strong material as singles in 71.