Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Jungle room sessions

Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:27 am

Have you ever noticed theres a pattern during some of these sessions depression?
Hurt
Last farewell
It's easy for you
For the heart
Bitter they are,harder they fall.
She thinks i still care
Solitaire
He'll have to go
Was he depressed by this point to record this many sad songs?

Re: Jungle room sessions

Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:30 am

Elvis was singing sad songs for many years before 1976.

For example, most of the American songs are of a lost-love genre.

The real key to his emotional / physical / mental condition is in the performance.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:29 pm

"How's the world treating you" and "Indescribably blue" are two of Elvis' most brilliant 'depressing' songs. They were recorded in 1956 and 1966 respectively.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:23 am

Being Elvis i would have thought there would have been more uptempo recordings like Way down . instead of all the slow ones which makes it my least favorite sessions.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:19 am

ritchie valens wrote:Have you ever noticed theres a pattern during some of these sessions depression?
Hurt
Last farewell
It's easy for you
For the heart
She thinks i still care
Solitaire
He'll have to go

Not at all.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:44 am

ritchie valens wrote:Have you ever noticed theres a pattern during some of these sessions depression?
Hurt
Last farewell
It's easy for you
For the heart
She thinks i still care
Solitaire
He'll have to go

When I listen to these session it feels to me like the end of the world is coming near.
How can one record so many sad songs in a row..? There is so much bright and
music filled with joy..
..it probably mirrored his overall condition..a reason why I don`t like these sessions
so much..

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Right now for me it's pretty hard to listen to them - or watch the Aloha Special! :wink:

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:53 pm

A theory I have is that all music can be categorized roughly into six categories based on the underlying feelings and emotions that are being expressed in that music.

1. Positively Self-Other related: I'm proud of myself, happy with myself, and happy with the people (or one specific person) around me. Can also mean happy with life itself, nature, God, whatever. Example: It's a wonderful world.

2. Positively Self related: Just proud of myself, I'm the hero, I'm happy with myself, no matter what others may think of that. Example: Tiger Man

3. Positively Other related: Connected with life, nature or in love with someone I feel connected to and she/he feels connected to me. I give love and get love in return. Example: I Love You, Because

4. Negatively Self related: I don't count, people don't see me, I'm not proud of myself, I have a low self esteem. Example: Feel So Bad

5. Negatively Other related: I can't connect with somebody else, or with nature, God, life itself. I feel rejected, my love isn't returned. I long for something, but can't reach what I long for. Example: well, see your list here. Not just depression, but a longing for something unreachable.A longing for connectedness. (Nash would call it a life time longing for the connectedness with his twin brother I guess. Or with his mother, for that matter).

6. Negatively Self-Other related: don't feel good about myself, I don't count, people don't see me, I'm nothing and I am not connected to anything or anyone else. Life sucks. I don't like life anymore: and this is where real depression comes in. Example: I'm so lonesome, I could cry.

This theory is based on the work of Dutch professor Hubert Hermans. His theory in Dutch: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelfkonfrontatiemethode

Would be interesting to categorize Elvis' self chosen music through the years...