Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Proposed 1965 tour

Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:02 pm

The following is taken from 'The Official Elvis Presley Fan Club of Great Britain' February/March 2013 magazine.

"2013 sees the 40th anniversary of 'aloha From Hawaii'. The original concept for this idea came from this fan club way back in 1962 in conjunction with Associated Rediffusion, when Telstar, the first satelite, was lanched, and negotiations for such a show to happen started ten years prior to the 'Aloha' broadcast. Way back in 1962 Colonel Parker in combination with RCA had been working on a 1965 43 US city tour which he bills as "The Biggest Tour Ever" for which RCA the promoter will guarantee Elvis a million dollars. Sadly RCA get cold feet and proposes that the tour be scaled back to just 11 dates. The Colonel, who firmly believes in the grand gesture and confident that Elvis will sell out 43 dates, declines. For the first time we can tell you that it would have been from a May 1965 New York concert that the satilite show would have been broadcast to the UK and Europe when Early Bird (the first geostationary satilite) was launched. On 27th August 1965 the plan was discussed again this time between Colonel Parker and the Beatles manager Brian Epstein. The proposal this time was for Elvis to appear in London, assisted by carlin boss Freddie Bienstock; with the images broadcast back to the United States. The tentative date was to be the summer of 1968. Brian Epstein's death on 27th August 1967 sadly put paid to the project."

What could have been...

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:10 pm

What could have been... [2]

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:53 pm

The "1963 tour" you speak was intended for the fall of 1962, after Elvis finished "It Happened At The World's Fair," and would have been a crucial step in his artistic development and well-being.


620900_w Tom Parker_Seattle.JPG
With Tom Parker, on location in Seattle - September 1962


Initially, 43 cities were shortlisted, but when RCA Records would only underwrite the tour for about a dozen shows, management let the offer die. And so did Elvis, for the next five and a half years. It was not "cold feet" on RCA's part, they just didn't want to foot the bill. Like Presley management, the record company was all about the bottom line.

Could Presley have filled a stadiums like Shea in 1962? In retrospect, possibly, but both management and record company would have had to offer the commitment to see it through, on all levels. That idea was clearly not there, to the detriment of Elvis and every good fan.

Here are two excellent, related topics:

Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56956

Feb 1963 Benefit Show --> Very Mysterious!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54847


Also, the May 1965 "one-off" satellite broadcast from New York has never even been rumoured. It certainly wasn't a "1965 tour," and seems dubious at best. The August 1965 conversation with managers Epstein and Parker was merely lip service, as it is highly doubtful Parker would have ever agreed to a joint venture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The "1963 tour" you speak was intended for the fall of 1962, after Elvis finished "It Happened At The World's Fair," and would have been a crucial step in his artistic development and well-being.



On the other hand, it would probably have been a collection of 45 minute shows made up of 50's hits and something from Blue Hawaii.....

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The "1963 tour" you speak was intended for the fall of 1962, after Elvis finished "It Happened At The World's Fair," and would have been a crucial step in his artistic development and well-being.



On the other hand, it would probably have been a collection of 45 minute shows made up of 50's hits and something from Blue Hawaii.....


There would have been nothing wrong with that.

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:44 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The "1963 tour" you speak was intended for the fall of 1962, after Elvis finished "It Happened At The World's Fair," and would have been a crucial step in his artistic development and well-being.


On the other hand, it would probably have been a collection of 45 minute shows made up of 50's hits and something from Blue Hawaii.....


Probably not.

It would have been shows between 50 minutes and one hour comprised of his hits to date, as well as album favorites. His band would have been Scotty, DJ, the Jordanaires and the cream of the Nashville A-Team. The audience would have gone wild, and Elvis would have been reminded as to how he got to be #1.

This certainly was the case in his three 1961 performances:

Memphis, 2-25-1961 AS
Introduction by Mayor Henry Loeb III
Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
I Got A Woman
Love Me
Introduction of musicians, singers
Such A Night
Reconsider Baby
I Need Your Love Tonight
That's All Right
Doin' The Best I Can
Don't Be Cruel
One Night
Are You Lonesome To-night?
It's Now Or Never
Surrender
Hound Dog


Memphis, 2-25-1961 ES
Introduction by actor/producer George Jessel
Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
I Got A Woman
Love Me
Introduction of musicians, singers
Such A Night
Reconsider Baby
Fever
I Need Your Love Tonight
That's All Right
Don't Be Cruel
One Night
Are You Lonesome To-night?
It's Now Or Never
Swing Down, Sweet Chariot
Hound Dog


Honolulu, 3-25-1961
Introduction by Rear Admiral Robert L. Campbell (14th Naval District commander)
Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
A Fool Such As I
I Got A Woman
Love Me
Introduction of musicians, singers
Such A Night
Reconsider Baby
I Need Your Love Tonight
That's All Right
Don't Be Cruel
One Night
Are You Lonesome To-night?
It's Now Or Never
Swing Down Sweet Chariot
Hound Dog



A 1962 tour would have changed everything to come. Maybe.

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The "1963 tour" you speak was intended for the fall of 1962, after Elvis finished "It Happened At The World's Fair," and would have been a crucial step in his artistic development and well-being.


620900_w Tom Parker_Seattle.JPG
With Tom Parker, on location in Seattle - September 1962


Initially, 43 cities were shortlisted, but when RCA Records would only underwrite the tour for about a dozen shows, management let the offer die. And so did Elvis, for the next five and a half years. It was not "cold feet" on RCA's part, they just didn't want to foot the bill. Like Presley management, the record company was all about the bottom line.

Could Presley have filled a stadiums like Shea in 1962? In retrospect, possibly, but both management and record company would have had to offer the commitment to see it through, on all levels. That idea was clearly not there, to the detriment of Elvis and every good fan.

Here are two excellent, related topics:

Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56956

Feb 1963 Benefit Show --> Very Mysterious!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54847


Also, the May 1965 "one-off" satellite broadcast from New York has never even been rumoured. It certainly wasn't a "1965 tour," and seems dubious at best. The August 1965 conversation with managers Epstein and Parker was merely lip service, as it is highly doubtful Parker would have ever agreed to a joint venture.


"Could Presley have filled a stadiums like Shea in 1962? In retrospect, possibly,"

Why are you asking if this was possible???!! :facep: :wtf: Sometimes I don't think you know who Elvis was (is) :!: :!: 8) Also did you mean "a" stadium like Shea, or stadiums like Shea?

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:54 am

WOW... what could have been. A tour like that could have changed a lot of things Elvis professionally and personally.

The song line up from Memphis and Honolulu 1961 are really nice sets.

rlj

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:26 am

ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The "1963 tour" you speak was intended for the fall of 1962, after Elvis finished "It Happened At The World's Fair," and would have been a crucial step in his artistic development and well-being.


620900_w Tom Parker_Seattle.JPG
With Tom Parker, on location in Seattle - September 1962


Initially, 43 cities were shortlisted, but when RCA Records would only underwrite the tour for about a dozen shows, management let the offer die. And so did Elvis, for the next five and a half years. It was not "cold feet" on RCA's part, they just didn't want to foot the bill. Like Presley management, the record company was all about the bottom line.

Could Presley have filled a stadiums like Shea in 1962? In retrospect, possibly, but both management and record company would have had to offer the commitment to see it through, on all levels. That idea was clearly not there, to the detriment of Elvis and every good fan.

Here are two excellent, related topics:

Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56956

Feb 1963 Benefit Show --> Very Mysterious!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54847


Also, the May 1965 "one-off" satellite broadcast from New York has never even been rumoured. It certainly wasn't a "1965 tour," and seems dubious at best. The August 1965 conversation with managers Epstein and Parker was merely lip service, as it is highly doubtful Parker would have ever agreed to a joint venture.


"Could Presley have filled a stadiums like Shea in 1962? In retrospect, possibly,"

Why are you asking if this was possible???!! :facep: :wtf: Sometimes I don't think you know who Elvis was (is) :!: :!: 8) Also did you mean "a" stadium like Shea, or stadiums like Shea?


The quote from Dr.Carpenter comes from a thread i started.

I asked if Elvis had gone on this 43 city U.S. tour in 1962 could he have filled stadiums and set attendance records before the Beatles did with Shea Stadium.

I was just talking about any stadium.

The Beatles set an attendance record for a rock n' roll concert at Shea Stadium in 1965 and it wasn't something rock n' roll singers did prior to that.

Also i mentioned in the thread that Elvis was booked at the Cotton bowl in 1956 which holds around 92,000 but he only drew a little over 26,000.

Given that i asked the question could Elvis have drawn a bigger crowd a few years later had this tour taken place.

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:36 am

brian wrote:
ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The "1963 tour" you speak was intended for the fall of 1962, after Elvis finished "It Happened At The World's Fair," and would have been a crucial step in his artistic development and well-being.


620900_w Tom Parker_Seattle.JPG
With Tom Parker, on location in Seattle - September 1962


Initially, 43 cities were shortlisted, but when RCA Records would only underwrite the tour for about a dozen shows, management let the offer die. And so did Elvis, for the next five and a half years. It was not "cold feet" on RCA's part, they just didn't want to foot the bill. Like Presley management, the record company was all about the bottom line.

Could Presley have filled a stadiums like Shea in 1962? In retrospect, possibly, but both management and record company would have had to offer the commitment to see it through, on all levels. That idea was clearly not there, to the detriment of Elvis and every good fan.

Here are two excellent, related topics:

Jan 1962 Tour --> Quite Mysterious !
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56956

Feb 1963 Benefit Show --> Very Mysterious!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54847


Also, the May 1965 "one-off" satellite broadcast from New York has never even been rumoured. It certainly wasn't a "1965 tour," and seems dubious at best. The August 1965 conversation with managers Epstein and Parker was merely lip service, as it is highly doubtful Parker would have ever agreed to a joint venture.


"Could Presley have filled a stadiums like Shea in 1962? In retrospect, possibly,"

Why are you asking if this was possible???!! :facep: :wtf: Sometimes I don't think you know who Elvis was (is) :!: :!: 8) Also did you mean "a" stadium like Shea, or stadiums like Shea?


The quote from Dr.Carpenter comes from a thread i started.

I asked if Elvis had gone on this 43 city U.S. tour in 1962 could he have filled stadiums and set attendance records before the Beatles did with Shea Stadium.

I was just talking about any stadium.

The Beatles set an attendance record for a rock n' roll concert at Shea Stadium in 1965 and it wasn't something rock n' roll singers did prior to that.

Also i mentioned in the thread that Elvis was booked at the Cotton bowl in 1956 which holds around 92,000 but he only drew a little over 26,000.

Given that i asked the question could Elvis have drawn a bigger crowd a few years later had this tour taken place.


Without question, yes! 8)

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:49 am

No doubt about it!

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Looking back it looks stupid RCA did not back up the 43 city tour........
They ruined Elvis' artistic career in more ways than one......

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:00 pm

RCA never did know how to handle Elvis from day one. He needed a hipper label like Capitol or Atlantic.

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:35 pm

r&b wrote:RCA never did know how to handle Elvis from day one. He needed a hipper label like Capitol or Atlantic.


At least RCA wanted to pay more for the Sun contract than Capitol or Atlantic so Sam Phillips could finally pay Elvis his back royalties.
Plus RCA was a worlwide label.......

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:33 pm

Ahmet of Atlantic bid for him, really wanted him, but Atlantic was a small label compared to RCA and he couldnt compete price wise. I can only imagine Elvis in the Atlantic studios with their great array of musicians and song writers, not to mention R&B artists like Clyde McPhatter, Ray Charles, Laverne Baker, etc. I think he would have been in his glory. Leiber & Stoller were always around also.

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:33 pm

It was the Colonel's fault not RCA. They offered to sponsor an 11 days tour in 1962 and this was very reasonable for November 1962. How could Elvis sing in 43 cities in the winter????? We all know that Buddy Holly died in February 1959 due such harsh winter conditions. So it could be a great oportunity for Elvis to do an 11 days tour back then.

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:44 pm

I cant see how he could tour and do 3 movies a year which he was under contract for. Maybe the Col didnt want to run him ragged then like e did in the 70's.

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:22 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:Looking back it looks stupid RCA did not back up the 43 city tour........
They ruined Elvis' artistic career in more ways than one......


I believe that touring has little to to with the artistic side of things.
Last edited by brian on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:25 pm

r&b wrote:RCA never did know how to handle Elvis from day one. He needed a hipper label like Capitol or Atlantic.


I don't know if that's true.

I thought they did great with Elvis until 1962 or 1963 and they were a much bigger label than Atlantic with more money to spend.

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Looking back in 1957, Elvis did 2 movies, 4 tours (including Canada and Hawaii) and 1 TV show. So why in the 1962-1967 years the same balanced schedule couldn't be maintained? I don't think that in his 60's Holywood contracts existed something to forbid him to do tours and TV. This is nonsense.

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:54 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Looking back in 1957, Elvis did 2 movies, 4 tours (including Canada and Hawaii) and 1 TV show. So why in the 1962-1967 years the same balanced schedule couldn't be maintained? I don't think that in his 60's Holywood contracts existed something to forbid him to do tours and TV. This is nonsense.


Elvis could have done a little bit of touring in the 1960s if he wanted.

Elvis did three movies a year from 1962 to 68 so it was decided to concentrate entirely on that.

Making one more movie per year is a big difference though.

Re: Proposed 1965 tour

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:03 am

rlj4ep wrote:WOW... what could have been. A tour like that could have changed a lot of things Elvis professionally and personally.

The song line up from Memphis and Honolulu 1961 are really nice sets.


The sets are superb, and imagine the songs he could have included in the fall of 1962:

I Feel So Bad
There's Always Me
Put The Blame On Me
Can't Help Falling In Love
(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame
Little Sister
Follow That Dream
Good Luck Charm
Night Rider
King of the Whole Wide World
Gonna Get Back Home Somehow
(Such An) Easy Question
Suspicion
She's Not You
Return To Sender


And that's just 15. Presley's artistic sensibilities would no doubt have been stimulated by the live fan feedback.

Perhaps Elvis would have no longer continued to accept substandard soundtrack material at his recording sessions.