Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Charlotte Coliseum - "I'm the one. Baby!"

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:05 pm

Here is the last one, for awhile at least.
http://scottymoore.net/charlotteColiseum.html

Thanks for reading.
Jim

PS Happy Valentines Day

Re: Charlotte Coliseum - "I'm the one. Baby!"

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:12 pm

a venue for an Elvis show in the 1970's, you would think, would be bigger than this building!Almost any other major venue is bigger than this place. Seeing Elvis perform there in concert, must have been something of an intimate and up-close setting for a star of his magnitude. "not a bad seat in the house" probably applies here as well.
W O W !

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:39 pm

12,000 is not that small. There are some others smaller than 10,000.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:44 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:Here is the last one, for awhile at least.
http://scottymoore.net/charlotteColiseum.html

Thanks for reading.
Jim

PS Happy Valentines Day

Terrific read, as always.

That Charlotte interview with reporter Kays Gary is one of the most significant from the '50s. Presley's more than a bit angry, and more than a bit cocksure.

Presley says he does what he does because that is what is making money.

And it is music that was around before he was born.
"The colored folks been singing it and playing it just like I’m doin' now, man, for more years than I know.
"They played it like that in the shanties and in their juke joints and nobody paid it no mind 'til I goose it up.
"I got it from them. Down in Tupelo, Mississippi, I used to hear old Arthur Crudup bang his box the way I do now and I said if I ever got to the place I could feel all old Arthur felt I'd be a music man like nobody ever saw."
Yep, some of the music is low-down.

No doubt these type of exchanges led to management's reduction of press time with the star.

One can only imagine what Elvis sounded like that night, June 26, 1956.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:03 am

elvisbot wrote:a venue for an Elvis show in the 1970's, you would think, would be bigger than this building!Almost any other major venue is bigger than this place. Seeing Elvis perform there in concert, must have been something of an intimate and up-close setting for a star of his magnitude. "not a bad seat in the house" probably applies here as well.
W O W !

Completely wrong. I live 100 miles from Charlotte and saw Elvis there several times. There were bad seats believe me. The official capacity was 11, 666. Will never forget it. It is all one level, no lower and upper levels. The first time I saw EP there was April 13, 1972. I was in front of the stage all the way in the back. It didn't matter because I was there. The Charlotte Coliseum is still in use today and I think it is called Bojangles Arena. It has undergone some different name changes. It's used mostly for smaller shows now and hockey. Elvis did play much smaller arenas(Asheville, app. 7,000) at the time along with much larger ones(Atlanta 18,000).