Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

GEORGE KLEIN BOOK

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:07 pm

Just finished reading George Klein book about Elvis. I've found it quite entertaining and different to other Elvis's friends biographies. The fact that GK was a very musical guy helped too!

I've enjoyed when George tells about 1957. He was there with Elvis touring and going to make pictures and tells entertaining stories from way back then. The meeting woth Dean Martin, the disguise party with Nat King Cole dressed as Elvis, the colonel calming the crowds on an Elvis show.

Then I've learnt things I didn't know, like that Elvis detested the "comeback" word when referring to his 68 show, or how Elvis and George talked and laughed on the Memphis amusement car just a week before Elvis died.

The 1962 Jerry Lee Lewis - Elvis all night jam with Sam Phillips present should have been such a thing to see and hear.

In all, Elvis comes as much more real than usual. Recommended, and on amazon the kindle is quite cheap.

Re: GEORGE KLEIN BOOK

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:16 pm

frus75 wrote:Just finished reading George Klein book about Elvis. I've found it quite entertaining and different to other Elvis's friends biographies. The fact that GK was a very musical guy helped too!

I've enjoyed when George tells about 1957. He was there with Elvis touring and going to make pictures and tells entertaining stories from way back then. The meeting woth Dean Martin, the disguise party with Nat King Cole dressed as Elvis, the colonel calming the crowds on an Elvis show.

Then I've learnt things I didn't know, like that Elvis detested the "comeback" word when referring to his 68 show, or how Elvis and George talked and laughed on the Memphis amusement car just a week before Elvis died.

The 1962 Jerry Lee Lewis - Elvis all night jam with Sam Phillips present should have been such a thing to see and hear.

In all, Elvis comes as much more real than usual. Recommended, and on amazon the kindle is quite cheap.

i agree with ya frus 75 - Im too readn this at the moment- its a good read - money well spent i think - recommended to new fans too who are learning about The King - Highly Recommended by me - Enjoy - ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:31 pm

karlos wrote:
frus75 wrote:Just finished reading George Klein book about Elvis. I've found it quite entertaining and different to other Elvis's friends biographies. The fact that GK was a very musical guy helped too!

i agree with ya frus 75 - Im too readn this at the moment- its a good read - money well spent i think - recommended to new fans too who are learning about The King - Highly Recommended by me - Enjoy - ::rocks

+1

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:31 pm

I haven't read the book but the only thing I would worry about is how much is true because George sure does like to embellish the truth on his radio show for Sirius. He likes to put himself in places and events that he wasn't at and he likes to inflate his importance to Elvis and say he was the cause of Elvis doing certain important things like record at American. He is a good story teller though, so it should be a good read.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:36 pm

It's not perfect, but you are correct that it does add to the canon.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Interesting review on amazon.co.uk supposedly from Marty Lacker. Obviously I can't vouch whether its really Lacker but just adding it to the mix.

"Speaking of books and some of the fiction that has been written in regards to Elvis and his world, I was just sent an excerpt from George Klein's book by a fan in Ireland that was on the Fox News' Fox &friends website and in all my years I have never heard such outright lies. Basically what George has done has taken part of my description of the night I talked Elvis into recording at American Studios in January, '69 and replaced me with himself plus some unbelievable and totally untrue embellishments. He has even conveniently added a couple of dead people to the scene who cannot contradict him by saying Tom Diskin and Freddy Bienstock was at the Graceland dining room table when he said he told Elvis about Chips Moman and got him to record there. Diskin and Bienstock were not there.

He also said Priscilla and Esposito were at the table and they weren't and he completely leaves out the part that I had talked to Elvis about it in what is known as the Jungle Room before everyone went into the dining room, in which he was silently present along with Sonny,Lamar and Felton Jarvis. He even put himself sitting next to Elvis at the table when it was actually me sitting there after I called Chips at home and talked to him about recording Elvis with Felton standing next to me.

Sadly what Klein forgets that there were witnesses to the whole event who will further make him a liar. If this is a sample of what is in his book, I suggest that if you really want to waste your money on it,look for it in the Fiction section of your favorite bookstore. My complete description of that entire night was written years ago in my two books, Elvis:Portrait Of A Friend and ELVIS AARON PRESLEY: Revelations From the Memphis Mafia and anyone who is familiar with both books will see that my recollection is word for word in both books. I am fortunate to have what is known as a photographic memory, not only do I remember the words spoken at the same time I am experiencing a pictorial rerun in my mind while I'm telling the story. I remember conversations word for word as well as who is present and where they are standing or sitting. I have no need to make things up to make myself feel better. I am just happy and proud that I was a close longtime friend of Elvis' and we both shared each others lives with the other original MM. I'm equally as proud to have had the opportunity to do things for him that made his life and career more enjoyable for him and better. I'm also happy that he was aware of things I did and was very verbally appreciative of it.

How sad and miserable George's life must be that he has to constantly lie about things. It's a shame he can't be happy just to have been a good friend of Elvis' instead of coming up with the lies to either make the fans or himself look and feel better about him."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... ewpoints=1

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:52 pm

The quote from Marty Lacker is accurate i saw him post that message on the AEK lounge shortly after George Klein's book was released.

I don't think Marty Lacker reposted it on Amazon.

I think someone else reposted Marty Lacker's quote on Amazon when they were reviewing Klein's book.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Johnny 99 wrote:Interesting review on amazon.co.uk supposedly from Marty Lacker. Obviously I can't vouch whether its really Lacker but just adding it to the mix.

The words are Marty's, written in 2010 -- the posting by Amazon member "Explore Your Journey," who cut and pasted it in 2011.

MARTY LACKER TALKS ABOUT THE REAL TRUTH, 17 Nov 2011
This review is from: Elvis: My Best Man: Radio Days, Rock 'n' Roll Nights, and My Lifelong Friendship with Elvis Presley (Hardcover)
Marty Lacker About GK's Book
By Marty Lacker, Jan 9, 2010

Speaking of books and some of the fiction that has been written in regards to Elvis and his world, I was just sent an excerpt from George Klein's book by a fan in Ireland that was on the Fox News' Fox &friends website and in all my years I have never heard such outright lies. Basically what George has done has taken part of my description of the night I talked Elvis into recording at American Studios in January, '69 and replaced me with himself plus some unbelievable and totally untrue embellishments. He has even conveniently added a couple of dead people to the scene who cannot contradict him by saying Tom Diskin and Freddy Bienstock was at the Graceland dining room table when he said he told Elvis about Chips Moman and got him to record there. Diskin and Bienstock were not there.

He also said Priscilla and Esposito were at the table and they weren't and he completely leaves out the part that I had talked to Elvis about it in what is known as the Jungle Room before everyone went into the dining room, in which he was silently present along with Sonny,Lamar and Felton Jarvis. He even put himself sitting next to Elvis at the table when it was actually me sitting there after I called Chips at home and talked to him about recording Elvis with Felton standing next to me.

Sadly what Klein forgets that there were witnesses to the whole event who will further make him a liar. If this is a sample of what is in his book, I suggest that if you really want to waste your money on it,look for it in the Fiction section of your favorite bookstore. My complete description of that entire night was written years ago in my two books, Elvis:Portrait Of A Friend and ELVIS AARON PRESLEY: Revelations From the Memphis Mafia and anyone who is familiar with both books will see that my recollection is word for word in both books. I am fortunate to have what is known as a photographic memory, not only do I remember the words spoken at the same time I am experiencing a pictorial rerun in my mind while I'm telling the story. I remember conversations word for word as well as who is present and where they are standing or sitting. I have no need to make things up to make myself feel better. I am just happy and proud that I was a close longtime friend of Elvis' and we both shared each others lives with the other original MM. I'm equally as proud to have had the opportunity to do things for him that made his life and career more enjoyable for him and better. I'm also happy that he was aware of things I did and was very verbally appreciative of it.

How sad and miserable George's life must be that he has to constantly lie about things. It's a shame he can't be happy just to have been a good friend of Elvis' instead of coming up with the lies to either make the fans or himself look and feel better about him.

Reviews Written by Explore Your Journey (PENSACOLA, FL, US)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AIMX4JXAES593

Marty's thoughts are spot-on, and what I meant by Klein's book being imperfect. One must read with a keen knowledge of Elvis history to get the most out of it.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:28 pm

I can imagine Elvis' pride kept him from acknowledging where his career really was in 1968 and that he would hate hearing The Special referred to as "The Comeback Special."

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:47 pm

Jokerlola wrote:I haven't read the book but the only thing I would worry about is how much is true because George sure does like to embellish the truth on his radio show for Sirius. He likes to put himself in places and events that he wasn't at and he likes to inflate his importance to Elvis and say he was the cause of Elvis doing certain important things like record at American. He is a good story teller though, so it should be a good read.

I have seen George Klein- GK as he likes to call himself - giving his "performances" a couple of times. Last time was in August at Memphis University where he faked tears while reminiscing Elvis' death. He is full of himself and he really portrays himself as more important figure than he ever actually was in anyway. I enjoyed his book but sometimes his ego and exaggeration just makes me sick.

If I remember correctly, same guy wrote both Klein's and Schilling's books.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:23 am

stevelecher wrote:I can imagine Elvis' pride kept him from acknowledging where his career really was in 1968 and that he would hate hearing The Special referred to as "The Comeback Special."

It wasn't a comeback in the traditional sense.

Elvis was still making movies that made money and he had top 20 albums and singles through 1966.

A comeback implies that you have been out of the spotlight and are now coming back but Elvis hadn't been anywhere.

I remember an interview Lamar Fike did with Joe Krein and Lamar said that he hated the term comeback special as well.

So i can understand why Lamar and Elvis didn't like the term.

But i don't think it's a big deal whatever people choose to call it.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:22 am

Thank's a lot for posting this!!! 8)

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:45 am

I heard Klein speak at the Smithsonian in Washington DC when he was promoting the book. It was kind of embarrassing, since there were only 6 of us in the audience in an auditorium that could hold several hundred. I spoke to him briefly and he signed a copy of the book for me.

Chris

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:41 am

stevelecher wrote:I can imagine Elvis' pride kept him from acknowledging where his career really was in 1968 and that he would hate hearing The Special referred to as "The Comeback Special."

Sure. No one likes being reminded of their artistic folly. But the sobriquet is well-deserved.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny 99 wrote:Interesting review on amazon.co.uk supposedly from Marty Lacker. Obviously I can't vouch whether its really Lacker but just adding it to the mix.

The words are Marty's, written in 2010 -- the posting by Amazon member "Explore Your Journey," who cut and pasted it in 2011.

MARTY LACKER TALKS ABOUT THE REAL TRUTH, 17 Nov 2011
This review is from: Elvis: My Best Man: Radio Days, Rock 'n' Roll Nights, and My Lifelong Friendship with Elvis Presley (Hardcover)
Marty Lacker About GK's Book
By Marty Lacker, Jan 9, 2010

Speaking of books and some of the fiction that has been written in regards to Elvis and his world, I was just sent an excerpt from George Klein's book by a fan in Ireland that was on the Fox News' Fox &friends website and in all my years I have never heard such outright lies. Basically what George has done has taken part of my description of the night I talked Elvis into recording at American Studios in January, '69 and replaced me with himself plus some unbelievable and totally untrue embellishments. He has even conveniently added a couple of dead people to the scene who cannot contradict him by saying Tom Diskin and Freddy Bienstock was at the Graceland dining room table when he said he told Elvis about Chips Moman and got him to record there. Diskin and Bienstock were not there.

How sad and miserable George's life must be that he has to constantly lie about things. It's a shame he can't be happy just to have been a good friend of Elvis' instead of coming up with the lies to either make the fans or himself look and feel better about him.

Reviews Written by Explore Your Journey (PENSACOLA, FL, US)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AIMX4JXAES593

Marty's thoughts are spot-on, and what I meant by Klein's book being imperfect. One must read with a keen knowledge of Elvis history to get the most out of it.

Exactly. Marty's recollection of the events has never wavered over the years. This was pointed out in no-uncertain terms by Roben Jones in her excellent book, "Memphis Boys: the Story of American Studios," which she wrote with the complete cooperation and input of Chips Moman and the "Boys." The opening lines of Chapter 17, From a Jack to a King read:

Marty Lacker told the story over and over again: in a book of his own; in a set of reminiscences done with Lamar Fike and Elvis's cousin Billy Smith for the reporter and Elvis historian Allan Nash; in a 1994 oral history compiled by Chips's then-secretary Rose Clayton; and in countless print and television interviews from those of Peter Guralnick to this account. Throughout the innumerable retellings, Marty's memory never wavered.

Further, I was at the Canon Center in Memphis (Elvis Week 2009) and heard Chips Moman tell the story about getting the phone call from Marty. Moderator Tom Brown made a point of asking the question about how it all went down, because Chips WANTED to answer it and state the facts.

I would dearly love to have a transcript of that conference with Chips, the Memphis Boys, and Ernst.

As for George... he is -- and has always been -- a very good talker.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:59 am

Not trying to be fair to GK, but most elvis friends exaggerate his importance in the elvis world and in elvis life. And the few closer to the Estate treat Priscilla like a goddess. You don't bite the hand that feeds you and all that jazz...

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:05 am

frus75 wrote:Not trying to be fair to GK, but most elvis friends exaggerate his importance in the elvis world and in elvis life. And the few closer to the Estate treat Priscilla like a goddess. You don't bite the hand that feeds you and all that jazz...

Even If that's true you don't have to lie and make up as much stuff as Klein does.

No one cares that George Klein didn't get Elvis to record at American Studios so i've never understood why he always has taken credit for it.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:03 pm

The 1962 Jerry Lee Lewis - Elvis all night jam with Sam Phillips ? Is this really true?

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:31 pm

frus75 wrote:Not trying to be fair to GK, but most elvis friends exaggerate his importance in the elvis world and in elvis life. And the few closer to the Estate treat Priscilla like a goddess. You don't bite the hand that feeds you and all that jazz...

George is one of those that treat Priscilla like a goddess along with Joe and Jerry.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Nobody around Elvis was important apart from Marion Keisker who discovered him, Sam Phillips who signed him to Sun and Thomas Andrew Parker who made him a star (and millionaire).

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:44 pm

I wasn't aware that the 1968 'Singer Presents Elvis' TV show was ever referred to as "The Comeback', during Elvis's lifetime ; though, from what has been written above, it seems the word 'comeback' must have been used in some context, if not the expression "68 Comeback Special".

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Sure. No one likes being reminded of their artistic folly. But the sobriquet is well-deserved.

You mean all of those money making movies that millions of people have been thoroughly entertained watching? I have to look up the other thing that you said?

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:01 pm

ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

You mean all of those money making movies that millions of people have been thoroughly entertained watching? I have to look up the other thing that you said?

Those movies were fun in the sixties. They were intended for viewing in the cinema at the time, not years later on your home TV and certainly not for VHS and DVD release.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Jokerlola wrote:

George is one of those that treat Priscilla like a goddess along with Joe and Jerry.

Yes, I know

Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:55 pm

I'm just finishing reading Careless Love... the last few chapters have been pretty depressing. I may get this book... hopefully it's a little more uplifting.