Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Twin Cities - Dede meets the King

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:33 pm

Here are the next two pages in the recent few I had a chance to complete. I put them up together because they played both shows the same day: the afternoon in St. Paul and the evening in Minneapolis. The second one closes with a letter written by Dede Smith, 14 years old at the time, courtesy of Suzie Olson who gives an interesting review from the perspective of a 14 year old girl with the determination to get backstage, successfully. Check them out, in sequence:

http://scottymoore.net/StPaul.html
and
http://scottymoore.net/Minneapolis.html

Thanks,
Jim

Re: The Twin Cities - Dede meets the King

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:09 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:Here are the next two pages in the recent few I had a chance to complete. I put them up together because they played both shows the same day: the afternoon in St. Paul and the evening in Minneapolis. The second one closes with a letter written by Dede Smith, 14 years old at the time, courtesy of Suzie Olson who gives an interesting review from the perspective of a 14 year old girl with the determination to get backstage, successfully. Check them out, in sequence:

http://scottymoore.net/StPaul.html
and
http://scottymoore.net/Minneapolis.html

On St. Paul:

Loved the bit on Minnesotan musician Augie Garcia -- he was doing the short pants years before Angus from AC/DC!

Here are a couple of recordings by Garcia from this era:

phpBB [video]

Augie Garcia, "Hi Yo Silver" (North Star, 1955)
Created with piano player Cornbread Harris, who played on the track as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornbread_Harris

phpBB [video]

Augie Garcia, "I'm All Through With You"
YouTube Notes:
GregoryAllanHolmberg ยท Uploaded on Nov 23, 2011
This is my first attempt at a music video. I found this lost track from the Minnesota godfather of rock and roll in a box of master tapes at a garage sale almost a decade ago. I donated the tapes to the Minnesota Museum of Broadcasting in St. Louis Park. This gem was lost in the middle of a lot of vintage radio ads. Sounds a lot like Elvis's Blue Suede Shoes to me... Enjoy!

Augie Garcia came fr...om St. Paul's West Side and formed a quintet with some old neighborhood buddies in the early '50s. The band became a fixture at the old River Road Club, located under the bridge in Mendota. For years Garcia and company played a combination of blues and R&B, eventually adopting a Fats Domino-inspired beat ("a shuffle," as Garcia called it) that largely introduced rock 'n' roll to the Twin Cities area. Collectors and fans of the state's early rock 'n' roll scene consider Garcia (an ironworker by trade who always performed in signature Bermudas) "The Godfather of Minnesota Rock.

In the late 1950s, a new sound shook, rattled, and rolled the swing-music scene that had sustained Minnesota ballrooms. Rock 'n' roll brought centerstage a teen culture with new dance steps, clothing styles and attitudes. Suddenly, the ballrooms' house swing bands, dress codes and sit-down dining seemed, well, square. Within a decade, ballrooms either went out of business or began showcasing rock groups.

Augie Garcia, from St. Paul's West Side, was known as the "godfather of Minnesota rock 'n' roll." In 1956, he opened for Elvis Presley in the St. Paul Auditorium, but his high-energy show in his trademark Bermuda shorts was too much for Presley's manager, Col. Tom Parker. The crowd became frenzied, Garcia later recalled, and Parker pulled him from the stage, citing a clause in Garcia's contract that barred competition with the headliner. The shorts were a Garcia trademark. He recalled that he had 38 pair of them that he wore in both summer and winter.

On Minneapolis:

Excellent review from 14 year-old fan Dede Smith. It seems likely that "Eddy" must be friend Red West. The head injury Presley incurred at St. Paul -- and exacerbated in Minnesota -- may be the reason for the backstage photo of Elvis in a crouch, looking unwell. A few more pieces of the puzzle.

Thanks, James.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:On Minneapolis:

Excellent review from 14 year-old fan Dede Smith. It seems likely that "Eddy" must be friend Red West. The head injury Presley incurred at St. Paul -- and exacerbated in Minnesota -- may be the reason for the backstage photo of Elvis in a crouch, looking unwell. A few more pieces of the puzzle.

Thanks, James.

Yeah, I wondered if that might be Red she was talking about. I couldn't for the life of me figure out who an "Ed" might be that drove from Memphis. The only thought I had against it, and its easily misunderstood by a 14 year old girl is Red being in the Army and getting drafted. He was in the Marines and at that time the MC wasn't getting any of the draftees.
Interesting too that she says he, Elvis, flew in on the 12th and implies that he stayed at the Lowry Hotel in St. Paul. I cracked up in any case when I first read that letter and had to include it as written.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:09 am

As a lifelong resident of St. Paul, it looks like most of the history in these articles is correct. Bill Diehl wrote often of Elvis through all the movie years and the live years of the 1970's. He was generally fair and positive about Elvis and he wrote a movie review and tidbits column.

I remember in the 1970's when they built the St. Paul Civic Center, I hoped Elvis would play there. He actually did three shows here, not two. On October 2 and 3, 1974, he did a show each evening and the picture in the St. Paul story was from the second and not the third, as captioned. IIRC, there were 18000 at each 1974 show and 17000 at the 1977 show. He also appeared here in 1971 and 1976 in Bloomington, a suburb only 10-15 miles away. For this writer, the Bloomington shows were better than the St. Paul shows, with the April 30, 1977 show being particularly disappointing. The 1976 show was released on FTD as A Minnesota Moment.

I was three in May 1956 and have nothing to add to the fine stories here about that fabulous day in 1956.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:30 am

Hi Steve,
Sorry, I'm not too up on the '70s. The date of the picture is from the Historical society but I can't say which show. I didn't reference the number of appearances, only implied the times he returned to perform there in St. Paul (in the context of the civic center which was on the site of the original auditorium). I will amend that anyway to refelect the two performances in October of 74. Thanks.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:48 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Hi Steve,
Sorry, I'm not too up on the '70s. The date of the picture is from the Historical society but I can't say which show. I didn't reference the number of appearances, only implied the times he returned to perform there in St. Paul (in the context of the civic center which was on the site of the original auditorium). I will amend that anyway to refelect the two performances in October of 74. Thanks.

No problem James. Thanks for your always great threads. Assuming that picture is from St. Paul, 1974, it has to be October 2 as he is wearing the Peacock suit. On the third, he wore the Dragon suit. I was there for both shows. The first one was pretty lackluster and the second show was much better. The newspapers reviewed and photographed the first show but I don't think I ever saw any pictures from our two newspapers that were from the second show.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:39 am

Here's the 1958 re-issue of "Hi Yo Silver" on North Star:

580000_North Star 2025_Garcia.JPG
Augie Garcia Quintet, "Hi Yo Silver" (North Star 2025, 1958)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:43 am

stevelecher wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:Hi Steve,

No problem James. Thanks for your always great threads. Assuming that picture is from St. Paul, 1974, it has to be October 2 as he is wearing the Peacock suit. On the third, he wore the Dragon suit. I was there for both shows.

They may have implied the 3rd as the publication date and I took it to mean the performance. Here it is un resized
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:34 am

There's the peacock suit and my seats would have given me that angle for looking at him as I had very close seats just off to his right. He looks good in this picture doesn't he?

Like I say, our seats were very close and though my wife was not a big fan, she went with me to the shows. When he came out and all the excitement and flashbulbs are going off, he enters the stage from the left and it looks like he's walking straight towards us. My wife screams and I'm taking it all in. After See See Rider gets going I asked my wife if she was mocking all the other screamers near us, trying to be funny, and she swore it was just that power and charisma, walking towards us with that famous smile. It was just involuntary and not a put on.

The next night, he did a much better show but our seats were much farther away.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:16 am

"Eddy" is Edward Thornton, a friend from Tupelo currently stationed at Fort Snelling in nearby St. Paul. He is the other fellow in the backstage photo of Elvis in a crouch.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

"Eddy" is Edward Thornton, a friend from Tupelo currently stationed at Fort Snelling in nearby St. Paul. He is the other fellow in the backstage photo of Elvis in a crouch.

WOW! How did you find that information. Thanks.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:09 am

stevelecher wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

WOW! How did you find that information. Thanks.

Thanks to claude 91 and an eBay photo find on another topic.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:51 am

stevelecher wrote:WOW! How did you find that information. Thanks.

claude posted the pictures from ebay this morning in the picture forum and it was captioned in the back of the photo. Dede mentioned him in a letter her friend Suzanne sent me earlier this year and we were at a loss as to who Ed was that she was referring to. Prior to that we had no idea who the guy was with Elvis in the photo. I sent it to Suzanne this morning too after claude posted.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Amazing! To identify the guy tending to Elvis in that classic photo.

That's quite a discovery.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:36 pm

rjm wrote:Amazing! To identify the guy tending to Elvis in that classic photo.

That's quite a discovery.

It cool we have members like claude 91 periodically checking eBay and other such sites. And through that I was able to research and locate some previously-unknown photos by Life magazine photographer Bill Ray.

Elvis --> Letting it Bleed in St. Paul, 1956
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79899