Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The Last Live American Trilogy

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:42 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:The topic is depressing the $hit out of me... here's a great version of An American Trilogy that everyone should enjoy...

phpBB [video]

no everyone should enjoy the versions they want to... Not what others want them to enjoy.

I see... so you don't enjoy this version?

Enjoy it yes, But it sounded like u meant that everbody should like the 1972 version with the line u sayd ''Everybody should enjoy this''

I do enjoy it (altough the hampton roads overdubbed version on this is elvis is more preferable), But i like the 1977 version to, That people dismiss, Had i sayd it was sung in 1972, and people would never have known the date of this performance it would probably be praised lol

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:12 am

Johnny2523 wrote:... But i like the 1977 version to, That people dismiss, Had i sayd it was sung in 1972, and people would never have known the date of this performance it would probably be praised lol

I doubt that very much.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:... But i like the 1977 version to, That people dismiss, Had i sayd it was sung in 1972, and people would never have known the date of this performance it would probably be praised lol

I doubt that very much.

ur a doc, its your job to doubt everything lol

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:43 am

In my opinion, this version of American trilogy is a good version despite the mistake in the middle, I especially like the powerful ending.This was a nice inclusion to the set-list too for 1977, but sadly it does pale in comparison to the classic versions from 1972. However, I do admire Elvis for attempting this song, as it wasn't a part of the live setlist consistently for two years.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:53 am

I do not disagree with that at all.

However, it is neither "strong" or "beautiful" as originally stated.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:17 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:OMG... strong and confident? Darn, I seldom heard him hit so many false notes... :?

He hit false notes during the 1972 Madison Square Garden version of American Trilogy? His voice wasn't strong and confident? Did I miss something? :?

I'm sorry... somehow I still had the 1977 version in mind... :sosorry:

It's my flu that drags me down right now and the antibiotics... :wink:

:D
I thought maybe there was something I wasn't hearing in the 1972 performance!
Sorry you have the flu. That sucks!

Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Justin wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:I'm not sure it is appropriate to compare 1977 to 1972. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Well...it's still the same person singing the song. It's still "apples."

Exactly.

Just wondering: would we apply the same comparisons to someone from the world of sports? Is it fair to compare Joe Montana's end of career abilities to those when he was at his prime? Are we to say that he was awful at the end even though injuries and age were responsible for his performance? I'm not trying to debate just wondering if we are going to be consistent in how we do our evaluating.

rlj
Last edited by rlj4ep on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:45 am

flamingstar81 wrote:In my opinion, this version of American trilogy is a good version despite the mistake in the middle, I especially like the powerful ending.This was a nice inclusion to the set-list too for 1977, but sadly it does pale in comparison to the classic versions from 1972. However, I do admire Elvis for attempting this song, as it wasn't a part of the live setlist consistently for two years.

Well said. I agree.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:58 am

JimmyCool wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:I actually find the playful "WHAT?!?!?" moment kind of funny. He still had a bit of life in him. His voice sounded strong and confident unlike his mostly lethargic and weak voice months later for the "Aloha From Hawaii" show.
(...)
I don't really enjoy any version of the song after 1972.

The Aloha version is my favorite of 'em all:
phpBB [video]

I agree with JimmyCool!

As for the version of the topic, I am glad he performed it and we get to hear it 36 years later, but it pales to compare with versions of the early 70s IMO.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:36 am

my fav version in performance IS the Aloha version!~ :D

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:55 am

rlj4ep wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Justin wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:I'm not sure it is appropriate to compare 1977 to 1972. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Exactly.

Just wondering: would we apply the same comparisons to someone from the world of sports? Is it fair to compare Joe Montana's end of career abilities to those when he was at his prime? Are we to say that he was awful at the end even though injuries and age were responsible for his performance? I'm not trying to debate just wondering if we are going to be consistent in how we do our evaluating.

First of all, Joe Montana was not "awful at the end." He led his final team -- the Kansas City Chiefs -- to the playoffs in both 1993 and 1994. He retired after that. So your analogy fails right off the bat.

Joe Montana - 1993-1994
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Montana

Secondly, Elvis was only 42 at the time of this "beautiful" edited performance of "An American Trilogy." Most singers are reaching their prime at this age, Sinatra being one obvious example. So you would need to compare Montana at a like moment in his NFL career, probably the mid-point, 1984. His team, the San Francisco 49ers won the Super Bowl that year, and Montana earned his second Super Bowl MVP award.

Silly attempts at analogy aside, Elvis was not a healthy person in 1977, and it shows in every recording made this year.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Justin wrote:

Exactly.

First of all, Joe Montana was not "awful at the end." He led his final team -- the Kansas City Chiefs -- to the playoffs in both 1993 and 1994. He retired after that. So your analogy fails right off the bat.

Joe Montana - 1993-1994
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Montana

Secondly, Elvis was only 42 at the time of this "beautiful" edited performance of "An American Trilogy." Most singers are reaching their prime at this age, Sinatra being one obvious example. So you would need to compare Montana at a like moment in his NFL career, probably the mid-point, 1984. His team, the San Francisco 49ers won the Super Bowl that year, and Montana earned his second Super Bowl MVP award.

Silly attempts at analogy aside, Elvis was not a healthy person in 1977, and it shows in every recording made this year.

Fair enough, DOC.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Most singers are reaching their prime at this age, Sinatra being one obvious example.

Good point... Sinatra at the Sands recorded in 1966 shortly after Sinatra turned 50 is Frank Sinatra at his best... and he was 50!

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:38 am

I thought he did some good songs in 1977 - but he was a shell by 1977. I always liked the BOOM in his voice.