Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The Last Live American Trilogy

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:58 pm

It hurts. It's such a painful version to listen to.

Well, at least in my opinion. I bet there are some that would disagree. Right, Ian? :D

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:19 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:It hurts. It's such a painful version to listen to.

Well, at least in my opinion. I bet there are some that would disagree. Right, Ian? :D

i disagree to, Its just elvis doing what he does best singing. People are depressed over the year 77

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:20 pm

elvis-fan wrote:The topic is depressing the $hit out of me... here's a great version of An American Trilogy that everyone should enjoy...

phpBB [video]

no everyone should enjoy the versions they want to... Not what others want them to enjoy.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Justin wrote:Yikes..."early one frosty morn"...I've never heard Elvis drop a bum note like he did there!

This run-through is more of a rehearsal than an actual professional performance. Elvis is, vocally, all over the place and the band isn't comfortable trying to push ahead with confidence. I'm sure it was a great thing to witness in person and but upon listening to it now it's nothing to really write home about and if anything it reminds us just how lazy the production had become by that point. Standards had dropped.

elvis already did that a year earlier in lake tahoe.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:
Alexander wrote:This version of American Trilogy is you listen objectivily is quite a mediocre delivery by Elvis standards, but people tend to measure 1977 by different standards. No edit can disguise this is only mediocre I am afraid...

That's exactly right. Many years ago I used to be an apologist for the 1977 version of Elvis. I would try to find anything... anything... to prove that he was still great in 1977. I never convinced anyone and deep inside I wasn't convincing myself. Now I find it unbearable to see or listen to anything from that last horrible year; it's far too depressing.

For my ears, at least, the finest version of this song is from the "As Recorded at Madison Square Garden" album... There is such confidence in his voice. He still had something to prove.

Give me a bad 1972 version of AAT, and I promise to run naked through my hometown! :D

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:59 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:You are deceiving yourself -- and other fans -- calling this a "beautiful version."
Johnny2523 wrote:
lol doc, I asked for thoughts indeed, but i didnt ask for you to call me someone ''Who Deseives Himself & Other fans''
so shut it

drjohncarpenter wrote:That's not exactly what I wrote. But, apparently, that's all you heard.

Oh Yeah !.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:People are depressed over the year 77

Well, it wasn't exactly a stellar year for the man. You should have known when you posted this and said that it was a beautiful version, you would receive some flack over it. It is not a beautiful version.

It sucks compared to those from previous years, especially 1972.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:40 pm

YDKM wrote:Man that beautiful Madison Square Garden package is a real TREAT and made me appreciate the quality of the show performances even more!~ :D
i would even go as far to say that ANY and i mean ANY soundboard from That whole June tour would be a FTD DREAM to listen too..if only!~ :!: :roll:

Yes, I agree. How about a box set of the three Chicago shows from June 1972?

rlj

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Rob wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:People are depressed over the year 77

Well, it wasn't exactly a stellar year for the man. You should have known when you posted this and said that it was a beautiful version, you would receive some flack over it. It is not a beautiful version.

It sucks compared to those from previous years, especially 1972.

Yeah the good thing is that i DONT compare it to previous years, But i Listen to it and then give my thoughts. No comparisons. I think Its a Beautiful version aswell as others.
Sometimes u just dont gotta compare.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:08 pm

It would seem that Elvis is trying..., especially on the ending. It seems like he is really going for the note at the end. To be sure, the "mistake" is embarrasing and takes away from an otherwise good performance for 1977. Because of Elvis' emotional and physical condition in June of 1977, I'm not sure it is appropriate to compare 1977 to 1972. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
BUT, everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and all opinions should be heard and respected.

rlj

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:20 pm

rlj4ep wrote:It would seem that Elvis is trying..., especially on the ending. It seems like he is really going for the note at the end. To be sure, the "mistake" is embarrasing and takes away from an otherwise good performance for 1977. Because of Elvis' emotional and physical condition in June of 1977, I'm not sure it is appropriate to compare 1977 to 1972. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
BUT, everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and all opinions should be heard and respected.

rlj

+1

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Yes its hard to compare 1977 and 1972 versions, but like 'are you lonesome tonight' maybe even though a bit of a 'joke' version Elvis just about delivers a decent version in Columbia 18th Feb 77'....slightly less good at the Norman 26th March show... and by Omaha and Rapid city in June without the words to read he simply can no longer deliver the song-so sad!~
even back to 'i just can't help believing ' at the good opening season 2nd Dec 76' show its a faulted version simply because of Elvis's refusal to rehearse any more.Refusal to rehearse plus his rapid decline easily explains how difficult it was becoming in 1977 to gather together good live material... look at 3 songs from the April tour culled with over dubs for the moody blue album!
from all the recordings from Feb 77' Felton found nothing he considered good enough to use.... and by April he was desperate!~ :?

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:46 pm

rlj4ep wrote:Because of Elvis' emotional and physical condition in June of 1977, I'm not sure it is appropriate to compare 1977 to 1972. It's like comparing apples to oranges. BUT, everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and all opinions should be heard and respected.

The problem is not comparing 1972 and 1977 versions of An American Trilogy. The problem is in saying that it is a strong and beautiful version as the original poster has done. He said nothing in the opening thread about it being his opinion. There is nothing strong and beautiful about it. It was then mentioned that if a strong and beautiful version wants to be heard, pick one from 1972.

It is my opinion that the 1977 version is not pleasant to listen to.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:05 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:For my ears, at least, the finest version of this song is from the "As Recorded at Madison Square Garden" album... There is such confidence in his voice. He still had something to prove.

It is a great version, but he spoils the mood in the beginning with his joking and shouting: WHAT!?!

I actually find the playful "WHAT?!?!?" moment kind of funny. He still had a bit of life in him. His voice sounded strong and confident unlike his mostly lethargic and weak voice months later for the "Aloha From Hawaii" show.

June was a peak time for Elvis' voice in 1972 but it was NOTHING like his 1968-1969 voice. Just compare the Chicago 1972 version of "My Babe" to any version from 1969 and the difference is pretty clear. But there were definitely highlights in 1972 for Elvis and "An American Trilogy" is one of them. I don't really enjoy any version of the song after 1972.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:22 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:I actually find the playful "WHAT?!?!?" moment kind of funny. He still had a bit of life in him. His voice sounded strong and confident unlike his mostly lethargic and weak voice months later for the "Aloha From Hawaii" show.
(...)
I don't really enjoy any version of the song after 1972.

The Aloha version is my favorite of 'em all:
phpBB [video]

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Post edited due misinformation.
Last edited by luckyjackson1 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:51 pm

rlj4ep wrote:I'm not sure it is appropriate to compare 1977 to 1972. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Well...it's still the same person singing the song. It's still "apples."

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:52 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:OMG... strong and confident? Darn, I seldom heard him hit so many false notes... :?

He hit false notes during the 1972 Madison Square Garden version of American Trilogy? His voice wasn't strong and confident? Did I miss something? :?

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:53 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
Justin wrote:Yikes..."early one frosty morn"...I've never heard Elvis drop a bum note like he did there!

This run-through is more of a rehearsal than an actual professional performance. Elvis is, vocally, all over the place and the band isn't comfortable trying to push ahead with confidence. I'm sure it was a great thing to witness in person and but upon listening to it now it's nothing to really write home about and if anything it reminds us just how lazy the production had become by that point. Standards had dropped.

elvis already did that a year earlier in lake tahoe.

Did he do it as badly as he did it in this clip?

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:00 pm

YDKM wrote:Yes its hard to compare 1977 and 1972 versions, but like 'are you lonesome tonight' maybe even though a bit of a 'joke' version Elvis just about delivers a decent version in Columbia 18th Feb 77'....slightly less good at the Norman 26th March show... and by Omaha and Rapid city in June without the words to read he simply can no longer deliver the song-so sad!~
even back to 'i just can't help believing ' at the good opening season 2nd Dec 76' show its a faulted version simply because of Elvis's refusal to rehearse any more.Refusal to rehearse plus his rapid decline easily explains how difficult it was becoming in 1977 to gather together good live material... look at 3 songs from the April tour culled with over dubs for the moody blue album!
from all the recordings from Feb 77' Felton found nothing he considered good enough to use.... and by April he was desperate!~ :?

I quite agree with your assessment. For many of us fans, that's probably why 77 is so frustrating, and even confusing. I do think that most of the later versions of "Are You Lonesome Tonight" were done in the comedic way on purpose. But, I never liked them performed that way. I heard Elvis sing this one live in 1971 and it was done beautifully. Much like the version from "On Tour." IMHO, the song deserved more respect.

rlj

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:05 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:For my ears, at least, the finest version of this song is from the "As Recorded at Madison Square Garden" album... There is such confidence in his voice. He still had something to prove.

It is a great version, but he spoils the mood in the beginning with his joking and shouting: WHAT!?!

I actually find the playful "WHAT?!?!?" moment kind of funny. He still had a bit of life in him. His voice sounded strong and confident unlike his mostly lethargic and weak voice months later for the "Aloha From Hawaii" show.

June was a peak time for Elvis' voice in 1972 but it was NOTHING like his 1968-1969 voice. Just compare the Chicago 1972 version of "My Babe" to any version from 1969 and the difference is pretty clear. But there were definitely highlights in 1972 for Elvis and "An American Trilogy" is one of them. I don't really enjoy any version of the song after 1972.

There was nothing wrong with his voice that prevented him from doing a great version of My Babe in 1972. He simply didn't try as hard in 1972.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:06 pm

Justin wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:I'm not sure it is appropriate to compare 1977 to 1972. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Well...it's still the same person singing the song. It's still "apples."

Exactly.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:08 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:The topic is depressing the $hit out of me... here's a great version of An American Trilogy that everyone should enjoy...

phpBB [video]

no everyone should enjoy the versions they want to... Not what others want them to enjoy.

I see... so you don't enjoy this version?

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:15 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I see... so you don't enjoy this version?

Beauty is in the ear of the belistener!

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:20 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:OMG... strong and confident? Darn, I seldom heard him hit so many false notes... :?

He hit false notes during the 1972 Madison Square Garden version of American Trilogy? His voice wasn't strong and confident? Did I miss something? :?

I'm sorry... somehow I still had the 1977 version in mind... :sosorry:

It's my flu that drags me down right now and the antibiotics... :wink: