The Last Live American Trilogy

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

memphisound
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Re: The Last Live American Trilogy

Post by memphisound »

Man I love listening to 1977 shows but listening to a song like this is just a mess, Elvis just didn't remember, the band didn't rehearse anymore, it was all gone by this time.

PREVIOUSLY BANNED MEMBER "BRADM".

YDKM
Registered for: 21 years

Post by YDKM »

That last 'Trilogy' version reminds me of 'Are You Lonesome Tonight from later that month 21st June.....to attempt to make it presentable visually they cut from showing Elvis messing up loosing the words during the spoken part.... During this last version of Trilogy... the same would have had to be done an 'edit' to patch it up... as it was in this concert the mess-up does largely destroy its impact and any rehearsal would have eliminated this. Reminds me of the sad admission Elvis made during his 14th Feb 77' show- "we didn't rehearse we just came straight out here" after 6 weeks off....which shows you in 1977 just how far he had already fallen.... :?

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

memphisound
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by memphisound »

YDKM wrote:That last 'Trilogy' version reminds me of 'Are You Lonesome Tonight from later that month 21st June.....to attempt to make it presentable visually they cut from showing Elvis messing up loosing the words during the spoken part.... During this last version of Trilogy... the same would have had to be done an 'edit' to patch it up... as it was in this concert the mess-up does largely destroy its impact and any rehearsal would have eliminated this. Reminds me of the sad admission Elvis made during his 14th Feb 77' show- "we didn't rehearse we just came straight out here" after 6 weeks off....which shows you in 1977 just how far he had already fallen.... :?
but honestly YDKH i see where he was coming from, he was only touring to get the pay roll going and keep Graceland mainatained, I trully believe that was it and also the fact he wanted to keep being Elvis Presley, you know i couldn't imagine how sad he was, his wife left him publically, he was 42, he couldn't seem to loose weight, the only thing that helped him cope was medicine and sometimes performing in concert, you all know for a fact that at times Elvis in 1977 was up there had to realize even to himself he was of his former self i dont think us fans to begin to understand probably how much that broke his heart idk. sorry for the rambling. :cry:

PREVIOUSLY BANNED MEMBER "BRADM".

Topic author
Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Editing out the flaws does not disguise how far the bar had dropped by 1977. You are deceiving yourself -- and other fans -- calling this a "beautiful version."
Ah don't you love to put down people who actually enjoy 1977 concerts.
I Dont deseive anyone, Most people know elvis made that mistake, I Edited it out for people so they dont get distracted from the song doc, This is indeed a beautiful version, Okay so elvis made that mistake after the trumpet solo?, He nonetheless gave a beautiful version of this song!, U got no right to put me down.
I didn't.

The problem with posting a reality check regarding Elvis in 1977 is getting a defensive response like yours.

It is you who asked for thoughts on this video.

Unfortunately, the truth matters, and if what I wrote hurts you, I am sorry. But it is the truth.

Thanks.
lol doc, I asked for thoughts indeed, but i didnt ask for you to call me someone ''Who Deseives Himself & Other fans''
so shut it

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I didn't.

The problem with posting a reality check regarding Elvis in 1977 is getting a defensive response like yours.

Unfortunately, the truth matters, and if what I wrote hurts you, I am sorry. But it is the truth.

Thanks.
lol doc, I asked for thoughts indeed, but i didnt ask for you to call me someone ''Who Deseives Himself & Other fans''
so shut it
That's not exactly what I wrote. But, apparently, that's all you heard.

And yet you have the audacity to tell me to "shut it" ... that's rich.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by BrianTCB »

FYI to the OP - No sound actually plays when the video plays.

Topic author
Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

BrianTCB wrote:FYI to the OP - No sound actually plays when the video plays.
Thats weird, Youtube must be gay again i guess, I have no trouble aswell as others dont have trouble hearing it

Topic author
Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I didn't.

Thanks.
so shut it
That's not exactly what I wrote. But, apparently, that's all you heard.

And yet you have the audacity to tell me to "shut it" ... that's rich.
Ok you wrote ''You are deceiving yourself -- and other fans -- calling this a "beautiful version.". Comes down to the same thing doc, dont be a smart a**

drjohncarpenter

memphisound wrote:Man I love listening to 1977 shows but listening to a song like this is just a mess, Elvis just didn't remember, the band didn't rehearse anymore, it was all gone by this time.
Exactly.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Johnny2523 wrote:
Thats weird, Youtube must be gay again i guess, I have no trouble aswell as others dont have trouble hearing it
"Youtube must be gay again"?

:wtf:

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Damn it!

I just hate it when "Youtube" is gay.

rocknroll
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by rocknroll »

Rob wrote:Damn it!

I just hate it when "Youtube" is gay.
So awkward.

Alexander
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Alexander »

YDKM wrote:... as it was in this concert the mess-up does largely destroy its impact and any rehearsal would have eliminated this. Reminds me of the sad admission Elvis made during his 14th Feb 77' show- "we didn't rehearse we just came straight out here" after 6 weeks off....which shows you in 1977 just how far he had already fallen.... :?
That is so true. It is not only Elvis being sick, it is also Elvis being careless about his music. For whatever reasons we can only speculate about. In 1976 and 1977 Elvis did a nice song once in a while - if he cared or was able to deliver. One song, if you are lucky two per show, that's it. That far he had already fallen... This version of American Trilogy is you listen objectivily is quite a mediocre delivery by Elvis standards, but people tend to measure 1977 by different standards. No edit can disguise this is only mediocre I am afraid...

ian
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by ian »

YDKM wrote:That last 'Trilogy' version reminds me of 'Are You Lonesome Tonight from later that month 21st June.....to attempt to make it presentable visually they cut from showing Elvis messing up loosing the words during the spoken part.... During this last version of Trilogy... the same would have had to be done an 'edit' to patch it up... as it was in this concert the mess-up does largely destroy its impact and any rehearsal would have eliminated this. Reminds me of the sad admission Elvis made during his 14th Feb 77' show- "we didn't rehearse we just came straight out here" after 6 weeks off....which shows you in 1977 just how far he had already fallen.... :?
:roll:

ian"elvis"anderson

drjohncarpenter

Use your words, ian. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Albert Goldman
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Albert Goldman »

Johnny2523 wrote:
This version of American Trilogy is depressing - Youtube turned hetero again!

Justin

Post by Justin »

Yikes..."early one frosty morn"...I've never heard Elvis drop a bum note like he did there!

This run-through is more of a rehearsal than an actual professional performance. Elvis is, vocally, all over the place and the band isn't comfortable trying to push ahead with confidence. I'm sure it was a great thing to witness in person and but upon listening to it now it's nothing to really write home about and if anything it reminds us just how lazy the production had become by that point. Standards had dropped.

drjohncarpenter

Justin wrote:Yikes..."early one frosty morn"...I've never heard Elvis drop a bum note like he did there!

This run-through is more of a rehearsal than an actual professional performance. Elvis is, vocally, all over the place and the band isn't comfortable trying to push ahead with confidence. I'm sure it was a great thing to witness in person and but upon listening to it now it's nothing to really write home about and if anything it reminds us just how lazy the production had become by that point. Standards had dropped.
Seems like plenty of reasonable voices are popping up here. Phew.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

The topic is depressing the $hit out of me... here's a great version of An American Trilogy that everyone should enjoy...

Rob

Post by Rob »

Now THAT is a good version.

drjohncarpenter

Rob wrote:Now THAT is a good version.
Beautiful!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

seaward
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by seaward »

If Elvis wasn't already out then he was sure on his way!

InheritTheWind

Post by InheritTheWind »

Alexander wrote:This version of American Trilogy is you listen objectivily is quite a mediocre delivery by Elvis standards, but people tend to measure 1977 by different standards. No edit can disguise this is only mediocre I am afraid...
That's exactly right. Many years ago I used to be an apologist for the 1977 version of Elvis. I would try to find anything... anything... to prove that he was still great in 1977. I never convinced anyone and deep inside I wasn't convincing myself. Now I find it unbearable to see or listen to anything from that last horrible year; it's far too depressing.

For my ears, at least, the finest version of this song is from the "As Recorded at Madison Square Garden" album... There is such confidence in his voice. He still had something to prove.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Man that beautiful Madison Square Garden package is a real TREAT and made me appreciate the quality of the show performances even more!~ :D
i would even go as far to say that ANY and i mean ANY soundboard from That whole June tour would be a FTD DREAM to listen too..if only!~ :!: :roll:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Albert Goldman
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Albert Goldman »

InheritTheWind wrote: For my ears, at least, the finest version of this song is from the "As Recorded at Madison Square Garden" album... There is such confidence in his voice. He still had something to prove.
It is a great version, but he spoils the mood in the beginning with his joking and shouting: WHAT!?!