Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

TTWII Blu-ray ???

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:20 am

Is there any word on getting Elvis That's The Way It Is released on Blu-ray?

I'm with a lot of people, being old school. What's wrong with black and white! I felt that way for a long time.

But since the option is possible, I think it would be great to bring Elvis into HD for this generation. It's already been done with Elvis On Tour. Which is fantastic. (minus the Johnny B Goode omission, but lets not dwell)

Anyhow, this HAS to be on the radar for EPE. It's really the only viable video project left that I can even think of concerning Elvis. (unless you get into the acting films)

A while back, there was Elvis The Complete Works. I think TTWII Blu-ray would be EPE's chance to finally do a kick-ass release.

The DVDs are 480p. Imagine seeing "Elvis That's The Way It Is" at 1080p!! And include all the Lost Performances Material. Include everything on The Complete Works, remastered!! This is my dream Elvis Blu-ray project.

Re: TTWII Blu-ray ???

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:45 am

I agree! This would be my dream blu-ray TTWII project. Come on Warner/MGM - let's DOOOOOO EEEEEET!!

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:54 am

What if your machine upscales? I've watched it upscaled and it looks absolutely fantastic. TTWII SE.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:02 am

It's a matter of time

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:55 am

rjm wrote:What if your machine upscales? I've watched it upscaled and it looks absolutely fantastic. TTWII SE.

rjm

C'mon rjm this is not even close. Upscaling doesn't bring back lossey artifacts that are permanently gone in the compression used on DVD standard.
And if you can't see a big difference between upscale DVD's and Blu-ray's it's time for a new TV.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:47 am

Speaking of Blu ray...

I just upgraded to a Panasonic P60GT50 Plasma (60 inch, that is).
And was finally able to watch the Elvis On Tour Blu ray. I can't tell
you what a difference it made. The clarity of the Blu ray and the
size of the TV made me realize just how much interaction there
was between Elvis and his band. I feel sorry for those who refused
to buy it because of Johnny B, or the lack there of.

It's a shame there aren't more of Elvis' movies released on Blu ray
by now.

Though definitely not a Blu ray, I watched parts of Aloha From Hawaii
Deluxe Edition. I enjoyed it, but the new TV and Blu ray player really
revealed the less than stellar video performance. I don't believe I'd
ever noticed the vertical lines near the left hand side of the screen
before. I guess we're lucky to have it as good or bad as it is. But I
think someone who knew what they were doing could improve it
greatly.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:47 pm

promiseland wrote:
rjm wrote:What if your machine upscales? I've watched it upscaled and it looks absolutely fantastic. TTWII SE.

rjm

C'mon rjm this is not even close. Upscaling doesn't bring back lossey artifacts that are permanently gone in the compression used on DVD standard.
And if you can't see a big difference between upscale DVD's and Blu-ray's it's time for a new TV.

Actually, I guess it's time for an actual Blu-Ray player. What I have upscales, but it is DVD. A 2012 model. (It has DVD-RAM and a VHS-to-DVD transfer capability, built-in. And it upscales. Or I thought it did.)

And the set is . . . that LCeD thing. "Insignia."

But it does look great! {goofy grin}

rjm

Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:58 pm

rjm wrote:
promiseland wrote:

rjm

Actually, I guess it's time for an actual Blu-Ray player. What I have upscales, but it is DVD. A 2012 model. (It has DVD-RAM and a VHS-to-DVD transfer capability, built-in. And it upscales. Or I thought it did.)

And the set is . . . that LCeD thing. "Insignia."

But it does look great! {goofy grin}

rjm

Robin - Actually as a guy who went from DVD to blu-ray I can attest that actual blu-ray (assuming you have a relatively recent TV with HDMI) is far superior to any upscaled picture. Of course I have a VIZIO 42" 240 Hz TV... :)

Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:07 pm

iplayastrat wrote:Though definitely not a Blu ray, I watched parts of Aloha From Hawaii
Deluxe Edition. I enjoyed it, but the new TV and Blu ray player really
revealed the less than stellar video performance. I don't believe I'd
ever noticed the vertical lines near the left hand side of the screen
before.

I thought there was something wrong with my TV, as I can clearly see those vertical lines too.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:43 pm

I must upgrade to BLU RAY myself too, are the prices of BR now closer to DVD ?
Also BR players upscale ur old DVDS too,no brainer i guess ............

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Also BR players upscale ur old DVDS too,no brainer i guess ............[/quote]

i own a Sony Blu Ray player. it does upscale a regular DVD. If you go into the "signal output" on the toolbox menu, you can set a standard DVD to play in 1080p but i usually set it to 1080i because the 1080p adjustment caused motion problems on certain DVDs. The quality of a standard DVD looks really awesome when it's played in the upscale mode of 1080i and (don't let anyone tell you anything different), with the right adjustments on a good television, you can get "near" blu ray quality from a standard DVD.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:26 pm

elvis8atari wrote:Is there any word on getting Elvis That's The Way It Is released on Blu-ray?

I'm with a lot of people, being old school. What's wrong with black and white! I felt that way for a long time.

But since the option is possible, I think it would be great to bring Elvis into HD for this generation. It's already been done with Elvis On Tour. Which is fantastic. (minus the Johnny B Goode omission, but lets not dwell)

Anyhow, this HAS to be on the radar for EPE. It's really the only viable video project left that I can even think of concerning Elvis. (unless you get into the acting films)

A while back, there was Elvis The Complete Works. I think TTWII Blu-ray would be EPE's chance to finally do a kick-ass release.

The DVDs are 480p. Imagine seeing "Elvis That's The Way It Is" at 1080p!! And include all the Lost Performances Material. Include everything on The Complete Works, remastered!! This is my dream Elvis Blu-ray project.

The movie is in the HD 720p format for rental now at the itunes store and Apple TV.

Also Warner Bros. Entertainment owns the worldwide rights to the movie 'Elvis That's the Way It Is'.
EPE have no ownership, control or rights to the movie.

Davide

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:45 pm

iplayastrat wrote:Speaking of Blu ray...

I don't know if you have that silly motion smoother setting on your Panasonic but it's kind of fun to set it at medium and watch "TTWII" or "EOT" because it makes it look like it was shot on video instead of film. (Like "Aloha from Hawaii," for example.) Why would someone want to do that? I don't have a good answer other than it just gives it a different look. Change of pace, perhaps?

Why they chose to release "EOT" on Blu Ray instead of "TTWII" is one of the great mysteries. "EOT" was shot on 16 mm film and "TTWII" was shot on 35 mm film. It makes no sense. Plus, Elvis is WAY better physically and vocally in "TTWII." One can only imagine how awesome a Blu Ray version of "TTWII" would be...

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:20 pm

What ? And no one even bothered to mention Elvis In Concert on Blu Ray ? That would be first and foremost on my Blu Ray wish list. Shame on all of you. Each and every one. Pardon me while I slip on into something more comfy (ie : Rob's silk jammies that I stole from his drawers last year) & mellow out with some Roger Whittaker & REO Speeodwagon tunes.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:56 pm

Sorry for the nitpicking, but TTWII was actually shot in 70 mm - even better!
I saw a 70 mm screening of the original 1970 version a couple of years ago.
The quality was amazing.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:00 am

Jonathan Blake wrote:Sorry for the nitpicking, but TTWII was actually shot in 70 mm - even better!
The quality was amazing.

Thanks for correcting me, Jonathan! I didn't know that. Then it's even more baffling that MGM would choose to release "EOT" on Blu Ray instead of "TTWII."

I tried watching EOT the other night for the first time in about 10 years and I didn't really like it that much. There are a few highlights but Elvis' voice isn't up to par and he mostly doesn't look very well. Thin, but not well.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:42 am

InheritTheWind wrote:
Jonathan Blake wrote:Sorry for the nitpicking, but TTWII was actually shot in 70 mm - even better!
The quality was amazing.

Thanks for correcting me, Jonathan! I didn't know that. Then it's even more baffling that MGM would choose to release "EOT" on Blu Ray instead of "TTWII."

I tried watching EOT the other night for the first time in about 10 years and I didn't really like it that much. There are a few highlights but Elvis' voice isn't up to par and he mostly doesn't look very well. Thin, but not well.

I'm not sure what "blown up" would mean for picture clarity, but wasn't TTWII a 35mm film blown up to 70mm?

http://www.in70mm.com/library/blow_up/y ... /index.htm

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:54 am

InheritTheWind wrote:
iplayastrat wrote:Speaking of Blu ray...

I don't know if you have that silly motion smoother setting on your Panasonic but it's kind of fun to set it at medium and watch "TTWII" or "EOT" because it makes it look like it was shot on video instead of film. (Like "Aloha from Hawaii," for example.) Why would someone want to do that? I don't have a good answer other than it just gives it a different look. Change of pace, perhaps?

I turned that off the first day. I don't like it.
I'm letting her break-in for about 200 hours
before I do a detailed setup.

JimmyCool,
I'm glad I'm not the only one to see the vertical
lines. I hope the Blu ray disc will be "fixed". It
needs a little digital magic.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:46 am

i got that panasonic here in Australia having major issues with it been replaced twice wlll get my money back i think

Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:22 am

iplayastrat wrote:I turned that off the first day. I don't like it.

Absolutely. It's almost always a useless feature. The only time I used it was during TTWII and that was by accident. But something about it made me watch the whole thing with the setting on. It was interesting because it's... different. It gives you an idea of what it might have been like if the satellite show had been done in 1970 instead of 1973. (I'm not a huge fan of the 1973 version of Elvis.)

Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:24 am

When I play TTWII-SE on my Sony Blu-ray player and Samsung 46" TV to my eyes it would be hard to improve on. Not saying it couldn't be improved but just to the naked eye I think it would be hard to tell a difference.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:06 pm

steve in SC wrote:When I play TTWII-SE on my Sony Blu-ray player and Samsung 46" TV to my eyes it would be hard to improve on. Not saying it couldn't be improved but just to the naked eye I think it would be hard to tell a difference.

I`m sure the difference will be huge.
Many blockbuster blu-ray releases comes with a dvd version as a bonus....have compared and dvd always looks crap
in comparison.....worst case beeing picture quality on Avatar.
But older people might not see a difference at all......my parents beeing in the 60s cant see the difference between
HD and SD source on a 50 inch tv. :(

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:41 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:
The quality was amazing.

Maybe because EOT won a Golden Globe award and MGM probably thought that would be a reason why to upgrade it to blu-ray before TTWII. Also because TTWII SE did not meet sales expectations...Its always the bottom line. You know that.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:39 pm

Twilight Time should license some Elvis movies for BD release. Their releases are limited to 3000 copies, but most of the them have been fantastic.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:17 am

Any BR PLAYER recommendations at under £100 ? thats about my limit at moment ........... must be able to play at 1080p and movie files divx mkv etc ............