Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Die Musik, Der Mensch, Der Mythos: worthwhile?

Fri May 09, 2003 12:26 pm

This book by Marc Hendrickx is now coming out in German. A few years ago it was published in Flamish and French, I believe and garnered some good reviews.

As it's now being published in a langauage I'm able to read I wondered if someone could give his/her opinion on the book: is it worth buying? I heard it contains a lot of "rare" photos, whatever that may mean.

At least the cover is great!

Fri May 09, 2003 8:24 pm

Hi Scott,

This is a terrific book. I have the 1998 edition and it's updated with Elvis news up to 1997. The books chapters are years. So it all starts off with 1935 and, like I said, ends with 1997.
So maybe this new edition has even more news.
It's about 592 pages thick and it's really fun to read.
It has a lot of info on hit singles, no.1 singles and albums. And it does have a lot of rare pictures in it, mostly b/w.

It's well worth the buy, believe me!

Sonny

Fri May 09, 2003 11:24 pm

Thanks for the info, it's now on my shopping list. :)

From what I understood, it will be updated up to 2002. Now I'm off to brush up on my German... :wink:

Fri May 09, 2003 11:58 pm

The book is excellent, shame it isn't available in english language - it really should be !! buy it for sure !

Sun May 11, 2003 12:50 am

I agree this book is very worthwile. You will have months of reading pleasure right there, and it is written by a true Elvis collector and fan, and a fellow Belgian. :) It was one of my first large Elvis books I bought when it was first released; later on it was released with a different cover (Aloha "crying" Elvis shot), which I also got. They're labours of love.

The author also co-wrote an excellent book about Elvis' meeting with Richard Nixon.