Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Songs I feel should have been hits but were not

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:46 am

Brian In Atlanta wrote:
stevelecher wrote:What Now What Next Where To was not kept under wraps until "Separate Ways." Don't forget the Double Trouble album. Come on, this isn't a top ten.

Stevelecher, thanks for the correction. I actually looked the song up in Elvis The Complete Music Catalogue (De Medeiros,) and Double Trouble was listed last of four, and I missed it in the pages crease! It seems strange to me that they list the album occurrences neither by year or alphabetically. Oh well. Still, huh, Double Trouble soundtrack, that's no way to feature a smooth yet jaunty Don Robertson gem with Elvis vocals and Floyd Cramer piano to match. I'll bet more people heard it first on Separate Ways, one of the better Camden LP's and a far better value at $2-2.50 than a an especially dreary soundtrack at full price. On the same album as Old MacDonald and City by Night? Yikes (As for your comment about it not being a Top Ten, well, see my comment to Brian below. No offense but I think it applies.)

brian wrote:
Brian In Atlanta wrote:I know it was not on a single, but personally, "What Now, What Next, Where To" is one of my favorite early 60's tracks, one I think would have been very nice on 45, at very least as a B-side. Certainly to keep it under wraps until Separate Ways, a 70's budget LP, was crazy. I can hear it fitting in very nicely with the material on Gold Records Vol. 3 or 4.

r&b means only singles that were released.

Not songs that could have been hits if they were released as singles.

r&b was also talking about songs that should have been top ten hits and ''What Now, What Next, Where To'' wouldn't fit that description if it had been released as an A or a B side.

Brian, I just gotta say, your comment is unnecessary considering I immediately acknowledged the song was not on a single, hence a little off topic. So forgive me if I violated R&B's ground rules. Was it really that much a disruption to this heady exchange of ideas? If so, you may be taking this all a little too seriously. It's "gotcha" hall monitor behavior like this, the kind that adds no new information or clarification of anything, that IMO, clutters the board with too much snarky attitude and self importance. Cut a guy some slack for 2 seconds, maybe? Thanking you in advance.

No.

My comments were necessary because you were not following the thread which isn't polite.

please follow the topic as written and intended by the person that started the thread.

I grow tired of threads easily getting off topic on this board by certain posters so i reminded you what the topic was about.

Both of your comments in this thread are unnecessary.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:06 am

People will heckle, but . . .

I Got a thing about you baby
Promised Land
Susan When She Tried
I Can Help
His Latest Flame (was that a #1?)

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:15 am

Brian In Atlanta wrote:Double Trouble soundtrack, that's no way to feature a smooth yet jaunty Don Robertson gem with Elvis vocals and Floyd Cramer piano to match. I'll bet more people heard it first on Separate Ways, one of the better Camden LP's and a far better value at $2-2.50 than a an especially dreary soundtrack at full price.

I heard it on "Separate Ways" first.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:21 pm

JimmyCool wrote:
Brian In Atlanta wrote:Double Trouble soundtrack, that's no way to feature a smooth yet jaunty Don Robertson gem with Elvis vocals and Floyd Cramer piano to match. I'll bet more people heard it first on Separate Ways, one of the better Camden LP's and a far better value at $2-2.50 than a an especially dreary soundtrack at full price.

I heard it on "Separate Ways" first.

Yup, me too.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:52 pm

brian wrote:
Brian In Atlanta wrote:
stevelecher wrote:What Now What Next Where To was not kept under wraps until "Separate Ways." Don't forget the Double Trouble album. Come on, this isn't a top ten.

Stevelecher, thanks for the correction. I actually looked the song up in Elvis The Complete Music Catalogue (De Medeiros,) and Double Trouble was listed last of four, and I missed it in the pages crease! It seems strange to me that they list the album occurrences neither by year or alphabetically. Oh well. Still, huh, Double Trouble soundtrack, that's no way to feature a smooth yet jaunty Don Robertson gem with Elvis vocals and Floyd Cramer piano to match. I'll bet more people heard it first on Separate Ways, one of the better Camden LP's and a far better value at $2-2.50 than a an especially dreary soundtrack at full price. On the same album as Old MacDonald and City by Night? Yikes (As for your comment about it not being a Top Ten, well, see my comment to Brian below. No offense but I think it applies.)

brian wrote:
Brian In Atlanta wrote:I know it was not on a single, but personally, "What Now, What Next, Where To" is one of my favorite early 60's tracks, one I think would have been very nice on 45, at very least as a B-side. Certainly to keep it under wraps until Separate Ways, a 70's budget LP, was crazy. I can hear it fitting in very nicely with the material on Gold Records Vol. 3 or 4.

r&b was also talking about songs that should have been top ten hits and ''What Now, What Next, Where To'' wouldn't fit that description if it had been released as an A or a B side.

Brian, I just gotta say, your comment is unnecessary considering I immediately acknowledged the song was not on a single, hence a little off topic. So forgive me if I violated R&B's ground rules. Was it really that much a disruption to this heady exchange of ideas? If so, you may be taking this all a little too seriously. It's "gotcha" hall monitor behavior like this, the kind that adds no new information or clarification of anything, that IMO, clutters the board with too much snarky attitude and self importance. Cut a guy some slack for 2 seconds, maybe? Thanking you in advance.

No.

My comments were necessary because you were not following the thread which isn't polite.

please follow the topic as written and intended by the person that started the thread.
I grow tired of threads easily getting off topic on this board by certain posters so i reminded you what the topic was about.

You've a f*****g cheek!!
In a topic I started about someone in the US organising a petition to deport Piers Morgan.
You came on with a ridiculous and imbecilic reply blaming me for starting this petition!!!!(quite funny) all I did was post an article about it!!. Remember that old boy?
Another poster replied soon after, asking you to re-read my post again and was quite bemused by your post.
Unsurprisingly the thread was deleted. Probably at your request because you had made yourself look like a right hamshank. :smt023

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:14 pm

daylon wrote:
brian wrote:
Brian In Atlanta wrote:

brian wrote:

No.

You've a f*****g cheek!!
In a topic I started about someone in the US organising a petition to deport Piers Morgan.
You came on with a ridiculous and imbecilic reply blaming me for starting this petition!!!!(quite funny) all I did was post an article about it!!. Remember that old boy?
Another poster replied soon after, asking you to re-read my post again and was quite bemused by your post.
Unsurprisingly the thread was deleted. Probably at your request because you had made yourself look like a right hamshank. :smt023

That was a mistake on my part and i apologize.

I should have read the article more carefully but those things happen.

I still stand by my comments that the people organizing a petition to deport Piers Morgan were ridiculous and it was stupid.

I didn't ask for that thread to be removed.

As for my comments to Brian in Atlanta he did exactly what i said he did.

Now can we please get back on topic.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:25 am

rickeap wrote:
Edge of Reality (No 1 in Australia!)

Research indicates this in fact to be a long-held myth.
It was the Beatles' Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da that actually stopped it in it's tracks.

Check out this terrific thread for more detailed and hitherto unknown chart information and analysis > "Two" good ! - The songs prevented from reaching No. 1" viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73494&start=25&hilit=edge+of+reality

Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:47 am

Regarding "Ain't That Loving You Baby"....I think if they had released the fast version, they might have had something. It was closer to the rock combo/British invasion sound than what was released, and, to my ears, closer to that sound that Elvis' singles during that time.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:28 am

Never cared too much for the slow version of "Ain't That Loving You, Baby", as the Jordanaires really annoy me on that track. :)

Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:49 pm

brian wrote:
daylon wrote:
brian wrote:
Brian In Atlanta wrote:

brian wrote:

No.

You've a f*****g cheek!!

That was a mistake on my part and i apologize.

I should have read the article more carefully but those things happen.

I still stand by my comments that the people organizing a petition to deport Piers Morgan were ridiculous and it was stupid.

I didn't ask for that thread to be removed.

As for my comments to Brian in Atlanta he did exactly what i said he did.

Now can we please get back on topic.

OK Brian. I agree with you about the petition. :wink: