Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Songs I feel should have been hits but were not

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:43 am

Delboy wrote:Six responses and no 'My Boy' jokes??

I miss midnightx....

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:04 am

It Hurts Me
Edge of Reality (No 1 in Australia!)
If I Can Dream
Kentucky Rain
I'm Leaving
I Got A thing About You, Baby
Promised Land
TROUBLE
all deserved to be bigger hits.

Memories, however, is quite dull and doesn't appeal to me as a top 10 hit.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:19 am

Elvis' built in audience was large enough to guarantee a profit on anything single or LP so perhaps RCA saw no reason to push his records. Also perhaps RCA also saw a cap on Elvis' later sales that made promotion not profitable enough.

You really never know what's going to be a hit, particularly a Top Ten smash hit. For instance when RCA released "Crying in the Chapel" in 1965, they probably expected a fewe hundred thousand sales that would make this unreleased recording profitable. This was the map they had for Elvis' other vault releases and the prosperous and consistent, but unspectacular in their time, religious recordings. What they got was one of the biggest hits of the year and Elvis' biggest single since "Return to Sender." Seeing this, they basically tried to repeat this formula almost every year through 1972. They never made the Top 50. There was just something that spoke to a mass public in Elvis' version of "Crying in the Chapel" that there just wasn't in his rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone" no matter how good or impassioned that recording may have been.

Thanks "Rtn." In my experience KR was not only one of Elvis' best tracks but one of his most famous.

Elvis-fan- "Way Down" was a certified million seller, a platinum release according to modern standards. Airplay almost surely kept it down. Even though everyone and his brother bought it, not as many stations played it. Many stations when they paid tribute to Elvis played his '50s hits. Still, its presence was strong in the country and AC market.

"Clean Up Your Own Backyard" sold 500,000 copies enough for a gold certification today. This I think is an example of what Ernst meant when he said if left to sales, Elvis' numbers would be higher.

"If I Can Dream" moved 800,000 significantly more than enough for a Gold award but short of platinum status. It did make Top Ten in Cashbox. Same deal with "Ain't That Loving You Baby" although the A-side "Ask Me" was granted peak chart positions. Were the airplay not split between the two sides, this would have been in BB's Top Ten.

The other records did not meet the 500,000 mark domestically. The GR collections though were always based on a million sales internationally, a figure probably every Elvis single has now reached.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:34 am

Mister Mike wrote:

I miss midnightx....

Awww, that's sad.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:15 am

Mister Mike wrote:

I miss midnightx....

http://youtu.be/B2WcBi9mu6A

Maxell has a picture of midightx on their product too, (one of my favourite brands) so I was wondering why they use midnight's pic also? Seeing the VHS head cleaner reminded me of the video that midnightx starred in, I know that he just sat there basically, except for his hair blowing back, but it was a really cool video and the cleaner's work great!!!!! Midnightx can you supply an answer regarding your advertising for two competing companies?

I wonder if he's just too busy at work!?! Is it midnightx or is it? 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Mister Mike wrote:

I miss midnightx....

Maybe mostly because it was a top 20 hit in the US and a top 5 hit in GB, whatever we think of this song.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:29 pm

sylvain wrote:Life
It's only love
I'm leavin
moody blue

Moody blue reached a respectable 2nd position in Sweden winter 1976-1977.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:29 pm

dreambear wrote:
sylvain wrote:Life
It's only love
I'm leavin
moody blue

Moody blue reached a respectable 2nd position in Sweden winter 1976-1977.

After Elvis died, I heard Moody Blue more on the radio than Way Down here in the New York area. Maybe the semi-disco beat had something to do with that!

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:55 am

"A Little Less Conversation"... the original version in the first place. :wink:

Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:41 am

Tried to post this before, but I don't know what happened? Anyway my take is this for all it's worth?
It's the public that decides what a hit is! If it was left up to us elvis fans there would be no one else at no 1?
Now if your going to go into the charts you are going to get artists who have stupid hits because of the season or maybe a holiday dance or just a comedy song !but the public still buy them, and also at certain times bands or solo singers have huge sucess but we don't remember there names because they didn't hang about long enough such is the nature of music or should I say the charts.
Now in 77 I so enjoyed hearing way down and I never thought for a minute it wasnt going to be or shouldn't be no 1 but then I was only 15?
Unfortunately it was no 1 but for all the wrong reasons as I now know with hindsight and age.
Anyway hope I have explained my take on this great topic.
All the best mark
Ps if I have posted twice please forgive!

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:59 pm

A hit single is determined by sales and airplay.

Billboard has never to my knowledge come out and said exactly how they compile the charts and how much airplay a song needs versus how much sales it needs to be a top ten or a number one hit.

I got to thinking that all the other Memphis 1969 singles were million sellers except for ''Kentucky rain'' so maybe the song had enough airplay to get into the top ten but not quite enough sales.

Maybe that's why it stalled at #16 and had it gotten some more sales to reach a millon it might've been a top ten like the others were.

Likethebike made a good point about ''Ain't that loving you baby'' not making the top ten because of the split airplay with ''Ask me''.

That's a shame because to me ''Ask me'' was a rather bland song that's the very definition of a B side that didn't deserve any airplay.

The fact that it prevented ''Ain't that loving you baby'' from being a top ten hit disappoints me.
Last edited by brian on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Because Elvis was so successful beyond any conventional limits as his peak, I think we have a bit of a warped perspective on just what actually was a hit. Most of the time, a record breaking Top Twenty is a very successful record. Some chart positions on classic hits, signature tunes all "The Way You Do the Things You Do," the Temptations #11, "Wonderful World," Sam Cooke #12, "Ooh Baby, Baby", "The Tracks of My Tears" the Miracles both #16, ("My Girl is Gone" actually charted higher than either), "I Wonder Why" Dion and the Belmonts #22, "In the Still of the Nite," The Five Satins #24. You could go on and on. The charts are a snapshot in time nothing more, they measure popularity from week to week. Sales and airplay have to line up exactly to achieve a peak chart position. Sometimes that doesn't happen.

I'm sure Elvis' organization was far more pleased with say the 800,000 units moved by "If I Can Dream" than the chart positions. When a record's selling that many, chart spots are an accessory.
Last edited by likethebike on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:25 am

brian wrote:
Likethebike made a good point about ''Ain't that loving you baby'' not making the top ten because of the split airplay with ''Ask me''.

That's a shame because to me ''Ask me'' was a rather bland song that's the very definition of a B side that didn't deserve any airplay.

The fact that it prevented ''Ain't that loving you baby'' from being a top ten hit disappoints me.

A lot of other people went for Ask Me and maybe Ain't That Loving You Baby kept Ask Me from breaking the top ten. Ask Me is the track that moved all those units and charted so high. I never heard the dated sounding "Ain't" on the radio in that time period. Ask Me is lovely.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:00 am

brian wrote:A hit single is determined by sales and airplay.

Billboard has never to my knowledge come out and said exactly how they compile the charts and how much airplay a song needs versus how much sales it needs to be a top ten or a number one hit.

I got to thinking that all the other Memphis 1969 singles were million sellers except for ''Kentucky rain'' so maybe the song had enough airplay to get into the top ten but not quite enough sales.

Maybe that's why it stalled at #16 and had it gotten some more sales to reach a millon it might've been a top ten like the others were.

I agree - I thought Ask Me was a very boring song. Never saw the appeal of it , and even less in late '64 for a single. Althought I loved 'Ain't', it did have a dated 50's sound to it. I never understood that single coupling at all. Everything was wrong for it to be a top 10.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:28 am

Let Yourself Go had potential to be a hit.
Ask Me is dull.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:58 am

stevelecher wrote:
brian wrote:

A lot of other people went for Ask Me and maybe Ain't That Loving You Baby kept Ask Me from breaking the top ten. Ask Me is the track that moved all those units and charted so high. I never heard the dated sounding "Ain't" on the radio in that time period. Ask Me is lovely.

If that's true that is still a shame because it prevented Elvis from getting a top ten in 1964.

Also if so many people were buying the single for ''Ask me'' then that is one of the world's great mysteries.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:29 am

There are songs/singles I would have believed to be even bigger hits than they were. But, one cannot expect every record to be a # 1 record. I think a top 20 position is what one would call a hit, especially if you never hit that spot before. With Elvis is was somehow expected that his records should become hits. Kiss Me Quick was a big hit in Scandinavia. But, not so in the US or UK. Memphis Tennessee should have been a single and would have been a hit.
Most of Elvis' mid sixties soundtrack singles did fairly well. To me, I was surprised Indiscribably Blue didn't reach higher than it did. But, then again one need to put it in the timeframe it was released. Regarding Big Boss Man, Guitar Man and U S Male I would have hoped for more chart action. At least they made some promises for what were to come. I still rank those three among my personal favourite Elvis singles of all time. Let Yourself Go and A Little Less Conversation went surprisingly unnoticed. I liked those two also. If I Can Dream should at least have reached top 10 imo. Clean Up Your Own Back Yard did reasonably well in the US, while Memories had potential for something better. Into the 70's I'm Leaving, I've Got A Thing About You Baby and T-R-O-U-B-L-E had potential for something higher up the charts imo. Always On My Mind and Promised Land are two of the songs most of us think deserved more attention and chart actions than they got. Maybe the greatest suprise, at least in the U S, was that An American Trilogy went nowhere, stalling within top 70. One of Elvis' signature songs in the live segment of his career.
We also had the double sided single hits in the 50's and early 60's fighting each other off the top spot.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 am

As with a lot of things life got in the way, as we grew up priorities changed and unfortunately whether we like it or not there were just too many other pressing things; Family,money, health became more important. Now in my retirement years and thanks to the internet, I'm finding SOOOOOOOOO much Elvis stuff that I didn't know existed before, and the freedom to choose that I never had before.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:52 am

I know it was not on a single, but personally, "What Now, What Next, Where To" is one of my favorite early 60's tracks, one I think would have been very nice on 45, at very least as a B-side. Certainly to keep it under wraps until Separate Ways, a 70's budget LP, was crazy. I can hear it fitting in very nicely with the material on Gold Records Vol. 3 or 4.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:10 am

Brian In Atlanta wrote:I know it was not on a single, but personally, "What Now, What Next, Where To" is one of my favorite early 60's tracks, one I think would have been very nice on 45, at very least as a B-side. Certainly to keep it under wraps until Separate Ways, a 70's budget LP, was crazy. I can hear it fitting in very nicely with the material on Gold Records Vol. 3 or 4.

r&b means only singles that were released.

Not songs that could have been hits if they were released as singles.

r&b was also talking about songs that should have been top ten hits and ''What Now, What Next, Where To'' wouldn't fit that description if it had been released as an A or a B side.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:49 am

What Now What Next Where To was not kept under wraps until "Separate Ways." Don't forget the Double Trouble album. Come on, this isn't a top ten.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:14 pm

"Rainy Night In Georgia" :twisted:

All kidding aside, I think either "Reconsider Baby", "Stranger In My Own Home Town" or "Power Of My Love", IF issued as singles, probably wouldn't have made a very big impact on the charts ("Reconsider Baby" could have made the Top Ten back in 1960 though), but they should have deserved it. While "Stranger" isn't very commercial at all, "Power Of My Love" really had the potential to become a Top Ten hit.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:04 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:"Rainy Night In Georgia" :twisted:

All kidding aside, I think either "Reconsider Baby", "Stranger In My Own Home Town" or "Power Of My Love", IF issued as singles, probably wouldn't have made a very big impact on the charts ("Reconsider Baby" could have made the Top Ten back in 1960 though), but they should have deserved it. While "Stranger" isn't very commercial at all, "Power Of My Love" really had the potential to become a Top Ten hit.

I think that is a good discussion for another topic. Songs on albums that could have been hit singles. I agree with you about Pwer Of My Love. That song should have been a single, without doubt.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:28 pm

r&b wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:"Rainy Night In Georgia" :twisted:

I think that is a good discussion for another topic. Songs on albums that could have been hit singles. I agree with you about Pwer Of My Love. That song should have been a single, without doubt.

Ah okay, I slightly missed the real deal. It was about singles that weren't bigger hits than they should have been... :facep:

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:36 am

stevelecher wrote:What Now What Next Where To was not kept under wraps until "Separate Ways." Don't forget the Double Trouble album. Come on, this isn't a top ten.

Stevelecher, thanks for the correction. I actually looked the song up in Elvis The Complete Music Catalogue (De Medeiros,) and Double Trouble was listed last of four, and I missed it in the pages crease! It seems strange to me that they list the album occurrences neither by year or alphabetically. Oh well. Still, huh, Double Trouble soundtrack, that's no way to feature a smooth yet jaunty Don Robertson gem with Elvis vocals and Floyd Cramer piano to match. I'll bet more people heard it first on Separate Ways, one of the better Camden LP's and a far better value at $2-2.50 than a an especially dreary soundtrack at full price. On the same album as Old MacDonald and City by Night? Yikes (As for your comment about it not being a Top Ten, well, see my comment to Brian below. No offense but I think it applies.)

brian wrote:
Brian In Atlanta wrote:I know it was not on a single, but personally, "What Now, What Next, Where To" is one of my favorite early 60's tracks, one I think would have been very nice on 45, at very least as a B-side. Certainly to keep it under wraps until Separate Ways, a 70's budget LP, was crazy. I can hear it fitting in very nicely with the material on Gold Records Vol. 3 or 4.

r&b means only singles that were released.

Not songs that could have been hits if they were released as singles.

r&b was also talking about songs that should have been top ten hits and ''What Now, What Next, Where To'' wouldn't fit that description if it had been released as an A or a B side.

Brian, I just gotta say, your comment is unnecessary considering I immediately acknowledged the song was not on a single, hence a little off topic. So forgive me if I violated R&B's ground rules. Was it really that much a disruption to this heady exchange of ideas? If so, you may be taking this all a little too seriously. It's "gotcha" hall monitor behavior like this, the kind that adds no new information or clarification of anything, that IMO, clutters the board with too much snarky attitude and self importance. Cut a guy some slack for 2 seconds, maybe? Thanking you in advance.