Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Rex Martin - "super fan" Has died

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:46 pm

RIP Rex!we think of you...

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:01 pm

I wanted to open this thread again in memory of Rex, he passed away in Jan 2013 here are a few pics I want to share.
Rex at his elvis shop in 1977
Rex with Vernon.

If anyone wants to check out rex interviews here is the link,you can go to the further interviews from the link page.
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/rexmartin.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:27 pm

That second photo looks like on the steps of Vernon's home on Dolan Drive...

Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:54 pm

elvis-fan wrote:That second photo looks like on the steps of Vernon's home on Dolan Drive...

Yes, you are right elvis-fan it is at Dolan drive.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:02 am

Nice to see the picture outside Rex's shop, as I never did visit the place.

Is the young lady "elvislady", perchance ?

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:05 am

Where does the time go? Four years already, wow. For some, Rex may've been too over the top in his fan worship, but we would be much poorer today had he not been so devoted (films, tapes, photos).

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:12 am

Steve Morse wrote:Nice to see the picture outside Rex's shop, as I never did visit the place.

Is the young lady "elvislady", perchance ?

Lol, no steve, I was about 13 back in 77 :) I did own a pair of bell bottoms tho. :P

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Where does the time go? Four years already, wow. For some, Rex may've been too over the top in his fan worship, but we would be much poorer today had he not been so devoted (films, tapes, photos).

I agree with you Doc, he lived and breathed elvis, he loved his forum and enjoyed making all the fantastic threads, he put his heart and soul into it, he shared lots of his pictures, he was devoted to his dogs Miffy and Muffy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:06 am

elvislady1964 wrote:
I agree with you Doc, he lived and breathed elvis, he loved his forum and enjoyed making all the fantastic threads, he put his heart and soul into it,

Absolutely...I got in contact with him and I wanted to talk with him about concerts on a private way but he wanted to do something on his website about it to which I gladly agreed...shortly after this .he died..really sad...

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks very much elvislady! A very nice gesture on your part helping all of us remember a very special man and great fan of Elvis. He was a kind man who shared much with the fans over the years. Thanks again.

rlj

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:31 am

A towering figure in the Elvis world. All fans owe him a great deal.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but does anyone know if the police ever got to the bottom of his missing collection? I remember at the time he died, there was a suggestion that someone had robbed his house just after he died and stolen a lot of tapes, films etc? I remember feeling so horrified at the idea, as it was basically inferred that it was someone in the Elvis world who knew Rex. But then I also recall something about essential elvis buying his collection from his estate but I just looked on their site and there is no follow up to that as far as I can see.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:43 am

timothy_sideburns wrote:A towering figure in the Elvis world. All fans owe him a great deal.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but does anyone know if the police ever got to the bottom of his missing collection? I remember at the time he died, there was a suggestion that someone had robbed his house just after he died and stolen a lot of tapes, films etc? I remember feeling so horrified at the idea, as it was basically inferred that it was someone in the Elvis world who knew Rex. But then I also recall something about essential elvis buying his collection from his estate but I just looked on their site and there is no follow up to that as far as I can see.

There was no missing collection apparently. He wasn't very organized. So it was a mess. They saw empty reels and thought film was stolen, but he had edited them together on bigger reels.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:47 am

Nothing was stolen which was 1st thought they found many super 8 empty boxes in which he kept but joined his films on bigger reels

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:37 pm

So, what happened to the (joined-up) films ? - many of which I saw at Rex's Elvis Film Festivals.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Steve Morse wrote:So, what happened to the (joined-up) films ? - many of which I saw at Rex's Elvis Film Festivals.

Essential Elvis

Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:24 pm

Thanks Robbie and Weibe for the replies. That's reassuring. The thought of a theft was horrific.

Does anyone know if Essential Elvis have done anything with it, or have plans to?

Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:36 pm

It don't look that way

Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:11 pm

timothy_sideburns wrote:Thanks Robbie and Weibe for the replies. That's reassuring. The thought of a theft was horrific.

Does anyone know if Essential Elvis have done anything with it, or have plans to?

Sold as much of his stuff at record fairs and events. its a real mess what they did compared to what they said they were going to do. Rex's sister did the deal with EE but with conditions, hence when EE tried selling some 8mm reels on e-bay without letting her know, it was very quickly removed, when she found out.
There is a lot more to this, but to sordid and not nice to put here.
Shame for Rex how it all ended for his collection in the end.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:24 pm

I know his film collection is in safe hands

Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:36 pm

rlj4ep wrote:Thanks very much elvislady! A very nice gesture on your part helping all of us remember a very special man and great fan of Elvis. He was a kind man who shared much with the fans over the years. Thanks again.

rlj

Thank you, rlj4ep, its great to see how much Rex was respected in the elvis world, in regards to his possessions I don't know where the story started about everything being at rex home, without going into to much detail When the Police discovered Rex, they did not find any personal items, as they had all gone by then. This was raised by the legal brief and the family in the very early days after Rex death.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments, I think it's nice that we remember someone who gave so much to elvis world in the way of his interviews, forum, help with anything he could.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:59 pm

cool...in the photo with Vernon I can see how Elvis would have looked...maybe at 70
His hair, nose, mouth and shape of his face looks like his son

Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:07 am

ale wrote:cool...in the photo with Vernon I can see how Elvis would have looked...maybe at 70

I, see a lot of elvis in Vernon with his mannerisms, I think elvis resembled his mother in his last year of life especially in his last concert.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:35 am

elvislady1964 wrote:
ale wrote:cool...in the photo with Vernon I can see how Elvis would have looked...maybe at 70

I, see a lot of elvis in Vernon with his mannerisms, I think elvis resembled his mother in his last year of life especially in his last concert.

That is an interesting observation, elvislady. You are so correct. In many of the 1977 concert pictures and especially the June 77 concert pics there was an uncanny resemblance of Elvis and his Mom.

rlj

Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:04 pm

Wiebe wrote:I know his film collection is in safe hands

Is it in the same vault as the Buffalo 72 footage that was auctioned off last year which none of us will see in our life time?

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:38 pm

lucio wrote:
Wiebe wrote:I know his film collection is in safe hands

Is it in the same vault as the Buffalo 72 footage that was auctioned off last year which none of us will see in our life time?

No not the same vault thats a different owner altogether