Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Rex Martin - "super fan"

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Ciscoking wrote:R.I.P Rex..I found my words again..

Just recently I signed in on his site..we wanted to start a new project about 1969 Vegas shows..he would add special infos
from his magazines..we wanted to uncover some mysteries about concert dates etc..eye witnesses..an interesting project..now it`s history..he was a true gentleman.It`s so sad..anybody knows about how old he got and why he died..?

Rex would have been 66 or 67, as he was 1-to-2 years older than me and I have just turned 65. I have no information on cause of death - possibly just 'natural causes'.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:38 pm

He was a true fan, God bless him

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:50 pm

I didn't know Rex very well, but I do have fond memories of visiting his shop in Blackpool back in the late '70's/early '80s on a number of occasions when I first started collecting.

The shop was an absolute treasure trove for a young fan, with some super cool imported records on sale, but the real highlights were the tapes that Rex had recorded himself, whilst following Elvis on tour and in Las Vegas.

Every one of these shows had a story behind it, and Rex was always happy to oblige with details about the show itself, and how he managed to capture the recording. This was during a period when the mainstream RCA releases were very short on new material, so to get tapes that featured Elvis singing songs live that hadn't appeared on official releases was a big deal, and a real buzz for this young fan.

Something else I've never forgotten is that the music played in the shop was never a standard greatest hits type of collection. All of the tapes were sequenced to feature those lesser know gems that fans rave about and the general public haven't heard, so anybody visiting the shop would be left in no doubt that there was far more to Elvis Presley than the hit records that they'd heard on the radio. I always thought that this was a really nice touch.

I also recall going to a couple of conventions in Manchester, and I'm pretty sure that Rex was involved with these as well. We were treated to some wonderful live '70's super 8 footage on the big screen (it looks far better than any of the video transfers), and this was back in the day when seeing "TTWII" or "On Tour" was a big deal! They had stalls there full of boots and RCA releases from around the world too. Happy times.

R.I.P. Rex. You made a massive contribution to the world of Elvis collecting.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:02 pm

RIP Rex ..

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:21 pm

Wow, this is very sad news. Rex Martin loved Elvis and his music, and he kept the faith for years and years. He will be missed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Tony Trout wrote:I am shocked and saddened by this news as I, too, found Rex to be a very nice man.

I wonder what will happen to his website now that he's gone??

Also, To the OP:

Is it ok to post this news to other forums?

Tony

That may not be prudent given that Police say they are still trying to trace next of kin. A silent period of rememberence may be better in order.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:31 pm

I love being a member of his website. A lovely man.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:32 pm

He really looked very dedicated. His magazines were and are filled up of good information even now.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:38 pm

This is terrible news, I bought him many of his legendary magazine "the elvis news service" a few years ago directly from him
He was extremely kind, courteous.....A very nice guy. This is very very sad. A great loss for the elvis world

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Delboy wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:I am shocked and saddened by this news as I, too, found Rex to be a very nice man.

I wonder what will happen to his website now that he's gone??

Also, To the OP:

Is it ok to post this news to other forums?

Tony

That may not be prudent given that Police say they are still trying to trace next of kin. A silent period of rememberence may be better in order.

The police have already informed his mother.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:45 pm

I am shocked too! He gave me some great photos while Elvis was in Germany. Will miss him! :(

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:23 am

TERRIBLE NEWS,
rlj4ep wrote:I am deeply saddened by this news. Rex was such a great friend to the Elvis fans and world. He was so generous with his wealth of Elvis information. My prayers for his family and friends. RIP Rex, and thank you!!
rlj

Indeed, Thanks Rex - and our condolences to his family and friends.

Nigel (who has also been in the Elvis World for near 40 years!) spent a fair while tracking down Rex Martin - back in mid 2000's - when Rex had somewhat dropped out of the scene.
It was great that the two of them got together and Nigel did a LONG interview with Rex and helped get Rex back into the excitement of sharing Elvis stories with friends worldwide.

You can read Nigel's REX MARTIN 2008 interview here.>>
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/rexmartin.html

It's yet another sad day in the Elvis World,
Piers

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:43 am

It's good to read that interview again - thanks, Piers.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:52 am

Very sad to hear about Rex┬┤ passing away. He was a true and sincere fan of Elvis and will be missed in the Elvis-World as well as among his friends and family.
I only got to know him throug letters back in the 70s and got in touch with him again through his website.

R.I.P Rex.

Sincerely
Brian

Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:20 am

I just got a phonecall to tell me about Rex sad passing, The world of collecting and loving Elvis has lost another Super fan RIP Rex you were a gentleman and a wonderful source of information on our man Sad day indeed :cry:

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:00 am

RIP REX.
Very sad news!!

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:03 am

yES VERY SAD INDEED!~ :cry:

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:08 am

I'm unsure if it was Rex I seen in Blackpool or not,maybe someone can help me...on a few occasions I visited a little shop, a few streets back from the seafront . It was a general "souvenir shop" like many in Blackpool,but this had many Elvis souvenirs and concert photos. Some photos were for sale,some weren't .I asked the shop owner about the photos and he was happy to chat, informing me he had seen several concerts and had taken a great deal of the photos himself. I remember him telling me he was at shows in Vegas '74(including the "Desert Storm"closing show)and a few shows during the summer of '76,I think maybe the Jul/Aug tour...I cannot recall the gentleman's name. Would that have been Rex?

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:08 am

I never was in correspondence with him but I did read many of his amazing posts on another site and he seemed real genuine. I am sorry to hear of his passing. RIP Rex.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:23 am

Rest in peace!
Another loss in this terrible year 2013...

O.S. ::rocks

Re: Rex Martin - "super fan" Has died

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:52 am

RIP Rex and best wishes to your loved ones.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:54 am

OMG this is indeed very sad news!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have known Rex since '69 when we started corresponding when I got the Red Robinson '57 Vancouver interview..................we did many many trades with tapes and pictures over the years but over the years with kids and grandkids and all we sort of lost touch............but we rekindled our friendship about 5 years ago...................I am so shocked to hear this terrible news...........what a terrible loss for the Elvis World................his site was just excellent with many rare and unseen photos and great articles written by Rex..............it was a fabulous site for Elvis fanatics such as I and a great find for any new fans of Elvis.......................I wonder what will happen to his spectacular Elvis collection..............one year I had hoped to meet Rex in person but unfortunately that will not happen now..........a very sweet and kind man......RIP Rex you will be so missed................... :sosorry:

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:31 am

What very very sad news! If it wasn't for Rex's weekly newsletter in the early 70's I doubt very much if I would have ended up collecting and then selling Elvis vinyl worldwide. I met him once in New York at Lichter's convention (1978 or 1979) and he was a very nice guy. God, it's just so hard to believe. RIP Rex my friend.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:54 am

So sorry to hear. Now we will never know what happened with some of those 1969 Vegas shows, among other treasures that must have been a part of his great collection.

Rex will be sadly missed.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:57 am

R.I.P Rex and very sad news. I loved reading his accounts of seeing Elvis in Vegas. My thoughts and prayers to his family.