Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Rex Martin - "super fan" Has died

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:37 pm

I have just had a telephone call from Anne Nixon, well known and long-time Elvis fan, and writer on Elvis topics.

It is with regret that I have to report that she informed me that Rex was found dead by the police in his home in the Blackpool area, yesterday. The police are trying to trace next of kin.

I knew Rex personally from the early 1970s and visited him about 5 years ago. He had established a website, Elvis - Moments In Time, in recent years and had a vast collection of first generation tapes and cine-film, mostly originated by himself from his many visits to the USA in the 1970s. From the late 1960s, he styled himself as "The Elvis Fanatic" and it was 100% true.

He was a friendly guy with a vast knowledge of the Elvis world. RIP, Rex.

Steve Morse

Re: Rex Martin - "super fan"

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Very sad to hear this he was a nice guy RIP Rex

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Very sadden to read this may he RIP

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:05 pm

Sad news for his family and sad news for the Elvis world, in that his collection may now be lost, as he informed me of his plans for his collection were. but thats for another time.
He was a real gentleman

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:13 pm

Cisco, sorry to hear that you got your answer.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:30 pm

Steve Morse wrote:I have just had a telephone call from Anne Nixon, well known and long-time Elvis fan, and writer on Elvis topics.

It is with regret that I have to report that she informed me that Rex was found dead by the police in his home in the Blackpool area, yesterday. The police are trying to trace next of kin.

I knew Rex personally from the early 1970s and visited him about 5 years ago. He had established a website, Elvis - Moments In Time, in recent years and had a vast collection of first generation tapes and cine-film, mostly originated by himself from his many visits to the USA in the 1970s. From the late 1960s, he styled himself as "The Elvis Fanatic" and it was 100% true.

He was a friendly guy with a vast knowledge of the Elvis world. RIP, Rex.

Steve Morse

what sad sad sad news this is. I'm devastated and this is a total shock.. At the end of last year I had many times contact with Rex who helped us with the FTD 3000 south Paradise Road, enad he dit put a lot of energy in our project. The liner-notes were written on his memories and those memorys are priceless.

Is it officially confirmed yet? The last contact we had was around january 10th, didn't hear from him again since.

Steve can you please pm me

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:36 pm

stayawayjoe001 wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:
Is it officially confirmed yet? The last contact we had was around january 10th, didn't hear from him again since.

Steve can you please pm me

The police called me today to inform myself and Jeanette (elvislady) that Rex was indeed found dead at his home.
Very sad news

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:41 pm

That is sad to hear.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:50 pm

I`m very saddened to read this, Rex was a really nice guy and I will never forget how nice and patient he was with me at his film shows in Leeds and how fortunate I was that he took the time to describe his experiences of seeing Elvis in concert to me, R.I.P Rex :( .

Alan.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Very sad to hear this - he was always courteous and friendly when I inquired about details on his adventures when seeing Elvis in concert in the 1970s. :cry:
Last edited by Scott Hayward on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm

No one did more for the fans in England. Rex produced a regular newsletter which included up to the moment reviews of Elvis's concerts, as well as the new tour dates as soon as they were announced. He brought us genuine candid photos when this was an unknown thing in the 60s, and his regular meetings showed British fans film of Elvis at Vegas and on tour. Without him most of this would have remained a mystery to fans in Britain. He made sensational Japanese books on Elvis available to us, with incomparable photos. Rex and I and other fans saw Elvis together for the first time in 72. There is no doubt that he was among the most loyal and devoted of Elvis's fans. It's very sad news. They were magical days in the 70s when we all found Elvis all over again and he became REAL to us. Thanks, Rexy, for so much.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:08 pm

I am deeply saddened by this news. Rex was such a great friend to the Elvis fans and world. He was so generous with his wealth of Elvis information. My prayers for his family and friends. RIP Rex, and thank you!!

rlj

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:21 pm

I am shocked and saddened by this news as I, too, found Rex to be a very nice man.

I wonder what will happen to his website now that he's gone??

Also, To the OP:

Is it ok to post this news to other forums?

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:38 pm

Ironically, I had a "we've missed you" message, possibly automatically generated, from his website on 30th January.

The early 1970s were indeed magical times for UK fans. Though I never got to see Elvis myself, I attended many of Rex's Elvis Film Festivals in Cheltenham and helped out on his table of Elvis items for sale. These events were sometimes 3 days long.

Out of interest, Rex had convincing evidence that the infamous Aloha Press Conference in Vegas ("it's very hard to comprehend") was after the midnight show and not between shows, and that is why Elvis seemed, shall we say, 'sleepy'. Rex knew, because he was in Vegas at the time. But that is a topic that should be discussed elsewhere and at another time, if at all.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:40 pm

Really shocked and saddened to hear this. I spent a lot of time talking Elvis with Rex when he had his shop in Blackpool in the 1980`s. Learned a lo t about his exploits following and filming Elvis and I always hoped to meet up with Rex again one day. Yet another Elvis name gone.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:41 pm

Oops! Sorry. Duplicate post.
Last edited by R2-D2 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Very sad to hear this news. Rex and I go back a long way to the 1960's. He was a real gent and a super Elvis fan. A real loss to the Elvis World, he will be greatly missed.

R.I.P. Rex.

Brian :(

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Very sad news indeed. Never knew Rex personally but always found Rex to be very friendly when chatting with him on his forum. He was always willing to help you with any query you may have had.

R.I.P. Rex.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:20 pm

O sh*t..I am shocked...

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:21 pm

This is so sad - R.I.P. Rex.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:27 pm

Rest in peace Rex
He was a pearl in the Kings Crown.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:29 pm

R.I.P. our Elvis brother

JEFF d
EP fan

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:04 pm

R.I.P. old friend

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:14 pm

R.I.P Rex..I found my words again..

Just recently I signed in on his site..we wanted to start a new project about 1969 Vegas shows..he would add special infos
from his magazines..we wanted to uncover some mysteries about concert dates etc..eye witnesses..an interesting project..now it`s history..he was a true gentleman.It`s so sad..anybody knows about how old he got and why he died..?

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:18 pm

I'm so, so sad to hear this news. He did a remarkable work on his forum and he was such a kind man. RIP Rex. :cry: