Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Blackhawk - Pic

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:05 am

The very first Blackhawk sold was purchased by Elvis Presley on October 9, 1970 for US$26,500. This was the 2nd Blackhawk prototype, as built by Carrozzeria Pad...ane near Modena (Italy)- (the first one, built by Ghia, was driven by James O'Donnell himself the New York Banker who revived the Stutz Motor Company.).The picture shows distributor Jules Meyers on the delivery of the car to Elvis on Oct. 9th 1970.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Blackhawk - Pic

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:17 am

Those were two beautiful cars Elvis owned. It's funny you mention this car because I was watching the History Channel's new show Counting Cars and they had Barry White's 1979 Stutz Bearcat that they had restored. What a beautiful car... it had a white fur-lined trunk!! It was something like this one below... except the copper color was pearl white with the brown...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:39 am

That is a beautiful machine. They don't make them like that anymore

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:40 am

Is Elvis holding a cane? I never knew he walked with a cane

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:38 am

I seem to remember a story that the first Blackhawk was scheduled to go to Frank Sinatra, Elvis heard about it did some wheeling and dealing and ended up with it.

Burning Love

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:35 am

I thought Elvis' 1970 Blackhawk was white and the 1975 one black?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:Is Elvis holding a cane? I never knew he walked with a cane

It's not a cane; it's a walking stick. For a brief time, EPE sold "TCB" walking sticks, and I bought one; it's made by a golf club company. If you take the rubber bumper off the bottom, it's sharp - like for hiking. Very cool.

rjm

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:10 pm

rjm wrote:

It's not a cane; it's a walking stick. For a brief time, EPE sold "TCB" walking sticks, and I bought one; it's made by a golf club company. If you take the rubber bumper off the bottom, it's sharp - like for hiking. Very cool.

rjm

IIRC he took it with him to see President Nixon.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:29 pm

It was an accessory. Like the flashlight, and the capes.
Our guy was pretty fly... (for a white guy) :wink:

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:22 pm

WMarkJ wrote:I thought Elvis' 1970 Blackhawk was white and the 1975 one black?

His other Stutz was a '73 I believe... and they were both black...

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:54 pm

He had at least one other Stutz, and it was white.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:01 pm

Here's some info posted on wikipedia and a link to some further info on the Stutz cars Elvis owned/leased...

The very first Blackhawk sold was purchased by Elvis Presley on October 9, 1970 for US$26,500. This was the 2nd Blackhawk prototype, as built by Carrozzeria Padane (the first one, built by Ghia, was driven by James O'Donnell himself). Frank Sinatra had vied with Presley for the car. Sinatra was offered the 2nd prototype on the condition that the distributor, Jules Meyers, could show the car at the L.A. Auto show and got publicity photos with Sinatra at delivery. Sinatra declined but Presley accepted and ended up with the car. Presley had it customized by George Barris after purchase. In January 1971 Presley had a mobile telephone installed for US$1,467.50. In July 1971 a hired driver totaled the car. Distributor Jules Meyers offered US$1,000 for the wreck but Presley declined and put the wrecked car in storage. It was only restored, with non-original parts, after his death and can now be seen at the Graceland museum. Presley bought at least three more Blackhawks and leased one other (he bought a black 1971 for himself and a white 1971 for his Las Vegas doctor Elias Ghanem, and leased a white 1972 and a black 1973, his favorite Blackhawk, which car he purchased at the end of the lease; this 1973 car is also on display at Graceland).

http://thethrottle.thechive.com/2011/01/09/if-its-good-enough-for-elvis%E2%80%A6well-heres-the-stutz-blackhawk/

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:29 pm

I like the BLACKHAWK but never saw it as a real EXOTIC auto like a MASERATI etc. Because it has other (GM) engine platform plus Italian body. No real heritage (except name) with other auto makers including American ones. Don't get me wrong..one of a kind type thing fit for a King.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Bruce Springsteen owns one of his walking sticks now

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Those who want to learn more and see pictures of the 4 Stutz Blackhawks that Elvis obtained during the early 70's would do well to read the Norwegian Fan Magazine FLAMING STAR , No.68 from December , 2011. In it there is an excellent article in Norwegian on the subject , written by former journalist Karl H. Brox and with pictures supplied by Kenny Kjohl . Marvellous stuff!