Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis and Queen

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:21 am

elmonstro wrote:
I love Queen, but they did do their fillers. Depending of taste of course, but "Hot space" from 1982 have quite a few. Even "News of the world", "A kind of magic", "The works" and The miracle" have one or two less inspired tracks on them

Hot Space was a direct result of the success Queen had with Another One Bites The Dust in 1980. Number 1 in the USA and their biggest hit worldwide, bigger than Bohemian Rhapsody if you can believe that. Freddie wanted to go down the black/funk route for a whole album and dragged the rest of the unconvinced band with him. Brian May was certainly not keen! Bugger all guitar on Hot Space! Brian, Roger and Freddie's personal assistant have since stated that Freddie was being influenced in a very bad way at the time by another personal assistant called Paul Prenter. If you want to see how this influence manifested itself just check out the video for Queen's Body Language which came from the Hot Space album. It's basically a solo recording and the video was 100& Freddie. You can imagine how the rest of the band felt about appearing in it.... I think egos were out of control with the band and the band were not getting along throughout the recording of Hot Space and a substandard album was the result. Having said that I don't mind the album and certainly prefer it to The Miracle which IS a bad album full of nasty drum machines, lacklustre song writing and terrible 80's production. Freddie had less input into this album than any other as he was concentrating on Barcelona at the time and had also recently been diagnosed with full blown AIDS. :( His mind was on other things. When he got his focus and commitment to the band back he was able to end his career on a high with the vastly superior Innuendo album. When Freddie really showed up for work Queen's music really shone. I really miss his presence in the world. By the way Peter Freestone recently said in his blog that Freddie Mercury put two singers on a pedestal - John Lennon and Elvis.

Great post :smt023

Brain & rodger talk about hot space in the Documentary - Days Of Our Lives it makes great viewing.must admit i do like the The Miracle album remember buying all the 12 inch singles and waiting for the video's on top of the pops,those were the days lol.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:38 am

Great post

Brain & rodger talk about hot space in the Documentary - Days Of Our Lives it makes great viewing.must admit i do like the The Miracle album remember buying all the 12 inch singles and waiting for the video's on top of the pops,those were the days lol.

Thanks. I got into Queen in the summer of 1986 when I was 14 and a friend played me his A Kind of Magic album which had just come out. I loved the guitar on One Vision and the vocals on Magic and everything else on the album. Well maybe not Pain is so close to pleasure! LOL. But then there was nothing from them for almost three years which was an agonisingly long wait for me at the time. Then in May 1989 I Want It All was released which was just what the doctor (though not OUR good doctor perhaps!) ordered. Couldn't wait for the album and then...sheesh. Disappointment really and worst of all no tour!! I don't know what it was like for Elvis fans in the sixties not being able to see the great man live but for me even just a couple of years after becoming a Queen fan and watching their live videos and hearing Live Killers etc.. it was unbearable. Well I was just a kid so please indulge my lack of perspective, ha! Shoot forward two more years and almost out of the blue Freddie ups and dies. One of the first things I remember thinking at the time was how could this happen to me again. I loved Elvis, well as much as a five year old can, and I was distraught when he died - "not MY Elvis" was the very specific thought I had when I heard ther news on the radio. And now, having finally found a new artist that I felt just as passionate about, just as I thought I'd be able to hear all these new albums, see them on tour and follow their career, Fred gets wheeked away.Absolutely gutting.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:48 am

Did Elvis meet any of the band members of Electric Light Orchestra ?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:29 am

rocknroller wrote:
elmonstro wrote:
I love Queen, but they did do their fillers. Depending of taste of course, but "Hot space" from 1982 have quite a few. Even "News of the world", "A kind of magic", "The works" and The miracle" have one or two less inspired tracks on them

Hot Space was a direct result of the success Queen had with Another One Bites The Dust in 1980. Number 1 in the USA and their biggest hit worldwide, bigger than Bohemian Rhapsody if you can believe that. Freddie wanted to go down the black/funk route for a whole album and dragged the rest of the unconvinced band with him. Brian May was certainly not keen! Bugger all guitar on Hot Space! Brian, Roger and Freddie's personal assistant have since stated that Freddie was being influenced in a very bad way at the time by another personal assistant called Paul Prenter. If you want to see how this influence manifested itself just check out the video for Queen's Body Language which came from the Hot Space album. It's basically a solo recording and the video was 100& Freddie. You can imagine how the rest of the band felt about appearing in it.... I think egos were out of control with the band and the band were not getting along throughout the recording of Hot Space and a substandard album was the result. Having said that I don't mind the album and certainly prefer it to The Miracle which IS a bad album full of nasty drum machines, lacklustre song writing and terrible 80's production. Freddie had less input into this album than any other as he was concentrating on Barcelona at the time and had also recently been diagnosed with full blown AIDS. :( His mind was on other things. When he got his focus and commitment to the band back he was able to end his career on a high with the vastly superior Innuendo album. When Freddie really showed up for work Queen's music really shone. I really miss his presence in the world. By the way Peter Freestone recently said in his blog that Freddie Mercury put two singers on a pedestal - John Lennon and Elvis.

I agree great post.
I bought all the 12" singles from Under Pressure onwards ( i don't think it was even extended and had the same B side as the 7"-bit of a rip off) Queen were the be all and end all for me for a long time and it was great rushing to my local independent record store on the Monday of release while the guy was getting them out the box and I could get the ltd edition picture disc 12",those were the days.I can now look back with a bit more objectivity and I think it's fair to say that from Jazz onwards the albums while still having some great tracks there was a fair bit of filler-A Kind Of Magic in particular and The Miracle.The Miracles opening tracks were terrible unlike their top albums that always had killer openers that were almost a statement of intent for the album like Brighton Rock,Tie Your Mother Down or my favourite opening track ever-Death On two Legs-great nasty piano from Freddie and sharp biting guitars from Brian and a bitchy opening line.Brilliant.I think the invention went when synthesizers and drum machines came in,some of the backing especially the last three in Freds lifetime are pretty bland even some good songs could have been better if they had kept with piano and guitar instead of bland keyboard backing-Don't Try So Hard springs to mind.
Still love the band though and continue play the albums often-bought most of the deluxe remasters (still to get-surprise surprise-A Kind Of Magic,Innuendo,Flash and Made In Heaven)
As for Crazy Little Thing Called Love I've no doubt Freddie had Elvis in mind with his vocal delivery.His popular music heroes were probably Aretha Franklin,Jimmi Hendrix and John Lennon but Elvis would have been someone Freddie and the rest of the band would have admired.

norrie

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:00 am

elmonstro wrote:
Great post

Thanks. I got into Queen in the summer of 1986 when I was 14 and a friend played me his A Kind of Magic album which had just come out. I loved the guitar on One Vision and the vocals on Magic and everything else on the album. Well maybe not Pain is so close to pleasure! LOL. But then there was nothing from them for almost three years which was an agonisingly long wait for me at the time. Then in May 1989 I Want It All was released which was just what the doctor (though not OUR good doctor perhaps!) ordered. Couldn't wait for the album and then...sheesh. Disappointment really and worst of all no tour!! I don't know what it was like for Elvis fans in the sixties not being able to see the great man live but for me even just a couple of years after becoming a Queen fan and watching their live videos and hearing Live Killers etc.. it was unbearable. Well I was just a kid so please indulge my lack of perspective, ha! Shoot forward two more years and almost out of the blue Freddie ups and dies. One of the first things I remember thinking at the time was how could this happen to me again. I loved Elvis, well as much as a five year old can, and I was distraught when he died - "not MY Elvis" was the very specific thought I had when I heard ther news on the radio. And now, having finally found a new artist that I felt just as passionate about, just as I thought I'd be able to hear all these new albums, see them on tour and follow their career, Fred gets wheeked away.Absolutely gutting.

I remember the wait between magic & the The Miracle it did seem a long time and havin no tour was a let down as we found out later it was because freddie was ill.i guess im just lucky as i go back to bohemian rhapsody it was the first record i ever bought.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:03 am

norrie wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
elmonstro wrote:

I agree great post.
I bought all the 12" singles from Under Pressure onwards ( i don't think it was even extended and had the same B side as the 7"-bit of a rip off) Queen were the be all and end all for me for a long time and it was great rushing to my local independent record store on the Monday of release while the guy was getting them out the box and I could get the ltd edition picture disc 12",those were the days.I can now look back with a bit more objectivity and I think it's fair to say that from Jazz onwards the albums while still having some great tracks there was a fair bit of filler-A Kind Of Magic in particular and The Miracle.The Miracles opening tracks were terrible unlike their top albums that always had killer openers that were almost a statement of intent for the album like Brighton Rock,Tie Your Mother Down or my favourite opening track ever-Death On two Legs-great nasty piano from Freddie and sharp biting guitars from Brian and a bitchy opening line.Brilliant.I think the invention went when synthesizers and drum machines came in,some of the backing especially the last three in Freds lifetime are pretty bland even some good songs could have been better if they had kept with piano and guitar instead of bland keyboard backing-Don't Try So Hard springs to mind.
Still love the band though and continue play the albums often-bought most of the deluxe remasters (still to get-surprise surprise-A Kind Of Magic,Innuendo,Flash and Made In Heaven)
As for Crazy Little Thing Called Love I've no doubt Freddie had Elvis in mind with his vocal delivery.His popular music heroes were probably Aretha Franklin,Jimmi Hendrix and John Lennon but Elvis would have been someone Freddie and the rest of the band would have admired.

norrie

Great post cheers :smt023

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:09 am

rocknroller wrote:
elmonstro wrote:
Great post

I remember the wait between magic & the The Miracle it did seem a long time and havin no tour was a let down as we found out later it was because freddie was ill.i guess im just lucky as i go back to bohemian rhapsody it was the first record i ever bought.

As far as first singles bought goes that is a great place to start.I always tell folks that Olviers Army by Elvis Costello was my first but if truth be told it was Under The Moon Of Love by Showaddywaddy! Not cool but i still love it!

norrie

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:21 am

norrie wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
elmonstro wrote:
Great post

As far as first singles bought goes that is a great place to start.I always tell folks that Olviers Army by Elvis Costello was my first but if truth be told it was Under The Moon Of Love by Showaddywaddy! Not cool but i still love it!

norrie

Your right about Showaddywaddy not being cool but i loved them too,i used to get dogs abuse for liking them at school.i remember gettin there greatest hits 2 the red cover for xmas 78 i think it was and playing pretty little angel eyes all the time ! happy days lol

phpBB [video]

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:50 am

Your right about Showaddywaddy not being cool but i loved them too,i used to get dogs abuse for liking them at school.i remember gettin there greatest hits 2 the red cover for xmas 78 i think it was and playing pretty little angel eyes all the time ! happy days lol

Same here mate.We were allowed one day to bring in an album at Primary school and everyone (well the boys anyway) ,brought in Boomtown Rats,The Jam,Wings,Blondie etc and I brought in the very album you're talking about.I got a right slagging off.Immature they said.They must have grown up faster than me as we were all 11 yrs old.
Still hurts when I think about it and If I see "fatty" Jenkins again I'm going to tell him!

norrie

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:01 am

norrie wrote:

Same here mate.We were allowed one day to bring in an album at Primary school and everyone (well the boys anyway) ,brought in Boomtown Rats,The Jam,Wings,Blondie etc and I brought in the very album you're talking about.I got a right slagging off.Immature they said.They must have grown up faster than me as we were all 11 yrs old.
Still hurts when I think about it and If I see "fatty" Jenkins again I'm going to tell him!

norrie

We had a tough childhood mate :lol: but i would do it all over again !!!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:31 am

elmonstro wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Some say Elvis enjoyed blasting "Bohemian Rhapsody" while riding around Memphis in his Stutz.

THIS has just made my day. :D

It apparently made Elvis' day too. ;-)

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:37 am

I can just imagine Elvis and the boys having a "Waynes World" moment.Funny as fu.....well you know the rest!

norrie

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:58 pm

elmonstro wrote:

Regarding "Hot space", there are some good tracks on side 2 of the LP (the less funky side) including Life is real (Lennon tribiute), Las Palabras De Amor and of course Under pressure.

On "The miracle", the rockers are the best ones like Party, Kashoggi´s ship and I want it all. But one of my all time favourites is hidden at the end: Was it all worth it. That song has everything like quiet passages and heavy riffing. But most of all are the lyrics very interesting, regarding Freddies health at the time. In the end; "Yes it was a worthwhile experience!" The rest of the album is a bit to much machines on it.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 am

Gotta say my favourite Queen album would be The Miracle...with Breakthru' ,Scandal and Was It All Worth It my favourite tracks. I love the Breakthru video on the train and although Freddie is pretty ill during the filming,he looks good and the whole band appear to be having a whale of a time. I have all Queen's albums and videos/DVDs. In Peter Freestone's book he mentions a meeting between Freddie and Lisa Marie in which LMP gave FM a scarf that had belonged to her dad. Freestone adds that it would have been a dream come true for Freddie to have met EP.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:18 am

sundial77 wrote:Gotta say my favourite Queen album would be The Miracle...with Breakthru' ,Scandal and Was It All Worth It my favourite tracks. I love the Breakthru video on the train and although Freddie is pretty ill during the filming,he looks good and the whole band appear to be having a whale of a time. I have all Queen's albums and videos/DVDs. In Peter Freestone's book he mentions a meeting between Freddie and Lisa Marie in which LMP gave FM a scarf that had belonged to her dad. Freestone adds that it would have been a dream come true for Freddie to have met EP.

The miracle does have some good songs,the ones you mention in particular but it does have more than it's fair share of duffers-Party,khashoggi's Ship,Rain Must Fall and My Baby Loves Me.That's nearly half an album of rotten material (IMO of course)

norrie

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:37 am

norrie wrote:
sundial77 wrote:Gotta say my favourite Queen album would be The Miracle...with Breakthru' ,Scandal and Was It All Worth It my favourite tracks. I love the Breakthru video on the train and although Freddie is pretty ill during the filming,he looks good and the whole band appear to be having a whale of a time. I have all Queen's albums and videos/DVDs. In Peter Freestone's book he mentions a meeting between Freddie and Lisa Marie in which LMP gave FM a scarf that had belonged to her dad. Freestone adds that it would have been a dream come true for Freddie to have met EP.

The miracle does have some good songs,the ones you mention in particular but it does have more than it's fair share of duffers-Party,khashoggi's Ship,Rain Must Fall and My Baby Loves Me.That's nearly half an album of rotten material (IMO of course)

norrie

Absolutely. Those tracks you mentioned, in particular My Baby Does Me, are my least favourites. A much better song than all the ones you have mentioned,Too Much Love Will Kill You,was recorded at the sessions for this album but because there was some kind of problem with publishing rights(Brian wrote it with two people not associated with Queen) it was not included. Brian released his version in 1992 and Freddie's vocal version was finally released on Made In Heaven in 1995. Although this posthumous album was touted as being songs recorded by Freddie in his final months,only three of the songs - A Winter's Tale,Mother Love and You Don't Fool Me-were recorded post-Innuendo in 1991. The rest all come from various sessions during the 80's...it's A Beautiful Day dates back as far as "The Game" sessions in 1979/80,whilst Let Me Live was intended to be a duet between Freddie and Rod Stewart, recorded in Los Angeles in 1983.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Robt wrote:Did Elvis meet any of the band members of Electric Light Orchestra ?

I don´t think so. Jeff Lynne often talks about Tom Petty, The Beatles guys, Roy Orbison, Del Shannon, Bob Dylan and so on. Well aware of that he worked with those guys, he´s never mentioned meeting Elvis.