Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Spinout - Another Lost Gem?

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:Back in 1966, I was almost giving up hope of ever liking an Elvis soundtrack again when along came Spinout. Elvis was moving and grooving again to some good rock tunes. Even the silly songs ‘Beach Shack’ and ‘Smorgasbord’ were miles ahead of Queenie Wahini. To round the album out we had some fine bonus songs. Spinout as a single didn’t really click (were car songs passé by then?), but I thought it had a go-go driving beat and when I played it for my son 10 years ago, he said it could be another ALLC # 1 hit, he liked it that much. So do we have another lost gem here that needs a new life? Thoughts?

There are no good rock tunes on the "Spinout" soundtrack, and no remix in the 21st century would make the title song a hit.

Most people would have made the same comment about A Little Less Conversation, which didn't even make the charts upon its 1968-ish release in the UK. So your arrogant response is uncalled for.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:43 pm

I love the film - one of my top five Elvis movies.

The title song was the track that started me out as an Elvis fan - i walked in on the movie being shown on TV - he was singing "Spinout" shortly followed by "Smorgasbord". I thought he looked and sounded terrific and I really dig the title song.

Adam and Evil is good, so is Stop Look And Listen - one of the best 60s beat tracks he did. Never Say Yes is a cracking little track, All That I Am and Am I Ready are both quite beautiful. Smorgasbord is interesting and enjoyable, I'll Be Back is groovier than a ... a groovy thing.

I have no problems with it. I actually am a Spinout fan in many ways.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:36 pm

likethebike wrote:With the highlighting of the organ and the intense drumming, several writers have commented that these tracks are an interpretation of the L.A. rock sound that was prominent in the year or so prior to the film's immediate release.

Please provide the several quotes you're referring to here.

likethebike wrote:The standout, the rip roaring, stop on a dime, "Stop, Look and Listen" would be worshiped today had a band like the Rolling Stones or the Kinks recorded it.

Extreme hyperbole.

It's nice that Elvis wanted more uptempo material but unfortunately, again, he was furnished with rubbish. He tried, but you cannot polish turds. And that is what the Spinout soundtrack is.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Steve Morse wrote:Most people would have made the same comment about A Little Less Conversation, which didn't even make the charts upon its 1968-ish release in the UK. So your arrogant response is uncalled for.

Are you suggesting A Little Less Conversation and Spinout are similar material in quality? A Little Less Conversation tanked not because it was a bad, 2nd rate song, but because Elvis' musical career was in the toilet at time of release. It was yet-another movie soundtrack release. Previously releases like Spinout contributed to this response of indifference from the music buying public. It's the same reason singles like Guitar Man, Big Boss Man, and the like met with little reaction. A 21st remix of Spinout would never generate a hit for Elvis now, or even 10 years ago. Conversation had all the right ingredients for a hit single - a great bass line, guitar hook, and smouldering, sexualised, tongue-in-cheek lyrics. Elvis' delivery could have been better, more edgy, more sexy and authoritative - and it would be with the NBC-TV Special revisit. Spinout has none of these things. It's a limp parody of classic rock 'n' roll car songs.

The 2002 remix of Conversation was an unexpected smash and no-one expected it to go where it went. It was a club hit before it even came out for purchase. I remember hearing it in UK night-clubs way back then and the response was very "what is this?" It wasn't played in nostalgia sets either, not at first anyway. It just had something, all the ingredients of the original plus Elvis' amped up vocal from the TV Special sessions. It was the right song (and the only song) in Elvis' catalogue that truly fit the criteria for a successful dance re-mix. It was lightning in a bottle.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:08 pm

Spinout a gem? No. But it is one of a handful of movie title songs that I haven't grown tired of over the years. I never hit the skip button.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:51 pm

When I was younger I thought the album rocked compared to what had come immediately before. Now, not so much. It's ok, but not something I go out of my way to listen to.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:18 pm

I apologize, as I just noticed there was a similar topic posted in 2010(I wasnt a member then). Thanks for your feedback. I certainly am not a fan of Elvis' movie soundtracks, its just that this one made me feel he at least tried to be with it in 1966 compared to what came before and after and my son thought the title track grooved! Maybe not a gem, but it is IMO his best 60's soundtrack LP since GI Blues. I am not a fan of any Hawaiin songs! I loved Viva but it was not an LP!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:21 pm

sweetangeline wrote:
skatterbrane wrote: And I think one could take the best 12 songs from Double Trouble and Clambake and make a very good LP too.

hence the problem, it doesn`t stand on it`s own

I was refering to Double Trouble and Clambake. I think Spinout DOES stand on its own. It is my second favorite Elvis soundtrack LP of all time

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:34 pm

And I prefer how Elvis voice was recorded very dry and upfront on the 60s soundtracks. But I do not care for the entire band on one channel and the backing vocals on the other (ala Beatles early LPs) however. As much as I love the songs and general sound of Elvis is Back, I find the echo put on Elvis' voice very irritating and distracting. Even though it is my 2nd favorite Elvis album, and I love the generals sound Bill Porter created in the 1960-63 period. Elvis is Back suffers from too much echo. I would have preferred the more dry treatment on the vocals that the 60s soundtracks typically presented.

I guess it is obvious by now I rather hate echo and reverb, especially on lead vocals. The only echo I want to hear on a voice is the natural room ambience. A perfect example of a properly recorded album would be Sheffield records Amanda McBroom LP, listen to The Rose. Or any of the Reference Recordng albums. One stereo mic directly into a 30ips analog tape recorder. No mixing board! Talk about resolutions and dynamics! Most of them are 1/2 speed mastered on 45 RPM discs. The Sheffield Labs are direct to disc, no tape involved. Screw up one, you have to start the entire side of the LP over again!

A properly recorded stereo album should have the instruments placed in the soundstage in their natural places and space, and depicted in the proper size proportion. A drum kit should not take up the entire sound stage (for example) a drummer's arms are not long enough to do so.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:22 pm

likethebike wrote:Save the novelty "Smorgasboard" all the uptempo tunes from Spinout deserve rediscovery or flat out discovery. With the highlighting of the organ and the intense drumming, several writers have commented that these tracks are an interpretation of the L.A. rock sound that was prominent in the year or so prior to the film's immediate release. And in exceution, they're all pretty tough. The band really crackles and Elvis sings with more commitment than he did on most of the surrounding LPs and films. The standout, the rip roaring, stop on a dime, "Stop, Look and Listen" would be worshiped today had a band like the Rolling Stones or the Kinks recorded it. It would be held in flat out higher esteem even if it had been done in a studio setting. (And no one cares that Ricky Nelson released an inferior version two years before.) The title song is strong but flawed. Hal Blaine's drumming is amazing and Elvis is in good form. The lyric though drives the sexual/racing metaphor into the ground, but Elvis' phrasing overcomes that. The biggest problem on single release was the lack of a commercial hook. It still generated a very nice response though that belied its modest chart listing. The 400,000 this record moved pretty much matched "Love Letters" which charted over 20 spots higher.

I'm not sure you're serious (ha ha), but I definitely a fan of this soundtrack ...

It's peppy, has variety, and is just fun.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Saw Spinout when it was released at theaters in '66. Spinout was better than Paradise Hawaiian Style. It had a better plot and better songs imo. I thought "I'll Be Back", "All That I Am" and the title tune are done well.

After Spinout, only other Elvis film except for TTWII and EOT I would see the theater filled and most fans staying to watch it through, would be Speedway.

I was surprised later to learn that it was co-scripted by Theodore J. Flicker. Who, soon after, would write and direct The President's Analyst with James Coburn.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Matthew wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:Most people would have made the same comment about A Little Less Conversation, which didn't even make the charts upon its 1968-ish release in the UK. So your arrogant response is uncalled for.

Are you suggesting A Little Less Conversation and Spinout are similar material in quality? A Little Less Conversation tanked not because it was a bad, 2nd rate song, but because Elvis' musical career was in the toilet at time of release. It was yet-another movie soundtrack release. Previously releases like Spinout contributed to this response of indifference from the music buying public. It's the same reason singles like Guitar Man, Big Boss Man, and the like met with little reaction. A 21st remix of Spinout would never generate a hit for Elvis now, or even 10 years ago. Conversation had all the right ingredients for a hit single - a great bass line, guitar hook, and smouldering, sexualised, tongue-in-cheek lyrics. Elvis' delivery could have been better, more edgy, more sexy and authoritative - and it would be with the NBC-TV Special revisit. Spinout has none of these things. It's a limp parody of classic rock 'n' roll car songs.

The 2002 remix of Conversation was an unexpected smash and no-one expected it to go where it went. It was a club hit before it even came out for purchase. I remember hearing it in UK night-clubs way back then and the response was very "what is this?" It wasn't played in nostalgia sets either, not at first anyway. It just had something, all the ingredients of the original plus Elvis' amped up vocal from the TV Special sessions. It was the right song (and the only song) in Elvis' catalogue that truly fit the criteria for a successful dance re-mix. It was lightning in a bottle.

Nice post, and a note-perfect refutation of a very superficial analogy by Steve Morse.

And there was nothing "arrogant" about my reply to the OP, it was a succinct statement of fact. It seems such posts do not sit well with Steve Morse, so he opts to mischaracterize my words rather than have a discussion.

That's his problem, not mine. ;-)

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:28 am

Didn't the Rubberneckin' remix also enjoy a pretty good run?

A Little Less Conversation was my second Elvis single, US Male was my first. I bought all the Elvis singles and EPs that had songs not available on LP. When the Almost In Love LP came out, I was shocked by the alternate take of A Little Less Conversation and wonder why they put Stay Away, Joe on again, after having been on the Let's Be Friends LP and the did NOT include Stay Away!

When the C'Mon Everybody and I Got Lucky LPs came out, it allowed me to eliminate 4 EPs from my collection, and one single.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:35 am

I had to keep the Jailhouse Rock EP, and the Any Way You Want Me EPs for a LONG time! As well as the Love Letters single. Actually, I forgot, I bought the South African LP Jailhouse Rock which allowed me to get rid of the Jailhouse Rock and the Anyway You Want Me EPs. (it also had I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine on it)

Worldwide Gold Award Hits volume 2 allowed me to get rid of a few more 45s. (can you tell I did not like 45s?)