Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Did the Colonel use payola?

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:00 am

Did the Colonel and or RCA ever use payola to get Elvis's records played?

Re: Did the Colonel use payola?

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:52 am

eligain wrote:Did the Colonel and or RCA ever use payola to get Elvis's records played?

Possible, but I doubt there was any need especially in the 50's - early 60's.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:16 am

I would doubt that such a method would be needed.RCA's pulling power and Elvis' popularity would ensure radio play.No need really for the Colonel to go that far.

norrie

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:25 am

eligain wrote:Did the Colonel and or RCA ever use payola to get Elvis's records played?

If they had, we'd know about it by now.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:20 am

Actually i would bet my life there was payola for Heartbreak Hotel. Too much at stake for RCA on his contract purchase. And let's face it was standard procedure and widely done. After that breakthrough, it would have been like burning $100 bills. No evidence just an opinion.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:28 am

fn2drive wrote:Actually i would bet my life there was payola for Heartbreak Hotel. Too much at stake for RCA on his contract purchase. And let's face it was standard procedure and widely done. After that breakthrough, it would have been like burning $100 bills. No evidence just an opinion.

I'd think twice about that bet. ;-)

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:10 am

There's just no evidence whatsoever - including HH. And there would have been, considering what went on during and after that time period. There was a huge payola scandal, and I'd think they'd have just loved to nab an Elvis hit or two! But I have never heard anything.

rjm

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:33 am

There was not much need for a major like RCA to use payola. The major labels had leverage over DJs and radio stations that indies, who most often indulged in payola, did not. They could hold back releases from major artists, skip a station on a promotional tour etc. If you don't give so and so some spins, you'll be the last to get the new Sinatra. Plus perks on the other side, getting early releases, stops on promotion from major artists, tie ins to local stage shows etc. Plus the majors often corporate tie ins with the owners of radio stations. When the indies were trying to break an artist, they had none of these advantages. There was no guarantee that the label would be around for another record let alone the artist. Payola, in its 50s incarnation, was a way of evening the scales. This is also why some hit records would often break little labels. Without the guarantee of a second hit, middle men would often just refuse to pay them what they owed. The majors always had the threat of holding back the latest hit from their superstars, the indies often were only as good as that record.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:58 pm

As has been said Elvis and RCA would not have needed to use payola.

Payola was the reason for the very sad end of 'The King of Rock'n'Roll' - Alan Freed!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:16 am

Well it sure didn't work for Guitar Man, or Big Boss Man singles, which SHOULD have been huge hits.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:38 am

Payola was a dusty memory by the time those tracks came out although there would be a new scandal in the late 1970s. Arguably with "services" that suggest all the records, through playlists that determine everything played on Top 40 today, today's entire industry is built on legalized payola. If you don't pay the services, you're record doesn't get played.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 pm

Yes he did use Peyote....

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm

A secondary argument against management using payola to further the success of a record release: money. Rare was the occasion when Tom Parker would pry open his wallet and use his own money away to promote talent.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:37 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:As has been said Elvis and RCA would not have needed to use payola.

Payola was the reason for the very sad end of 'The King of Rock'n'Roll' - Alan Freed!

True ! freed was made the scapegoat for all payola,most DJ's where doing it including mr clean dick cark.sad ending to a great man !!!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 am

A sort of payola perhaps.
In The Netherlands RCA a.k.a. Inelco in the 1970's placed advertisements for an Elvis release in a certain magazine and the record would get played on the radio station connected to that magazine and it would be inserted in the tipparade and end up in the hitparade.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
fn2drive wrote:Actually i would bet my life there was payola for Heartbreak Hotel. Too much at stake for RCA on his contract purchase. And let's face it was standard procedure and widely done. After that breakthrough, it would have been like burning $100 bills. No evidence just an opinion.

i agree,about thinking twice

Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:20 am

Imo, absolutely yes. RCA had to make sure that Heartbreak Hotel was a hit after the contract purchase from Sun. Steve Sholes would have sold his soul to the devil himself if that's what it took. After that, no need. But I do believe money also exchanged hands so that Suspicious Minds hit number 1-only one week iirc correctly on the billboard chart. Payola was a fact of life.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:30 am

fn2drive wrote:Imo, absolutely yes. RCA had to make sure that Heartbreak Hotel was a hit after the contract purchase from Sun. Steve Sholes would have sold his soul to the devil himself if that's what it took. After that, no need. But I do believe money also exchanged hands so that Suspicious Minds hit number 1-only one week iirc correctly on the billboard chart. Payola was a fact of life.

It's not a matter of opinion either they did or they didn't.

Do you have evidence that they did or is it just a hunch of yours?

I'm sorry but if it's hunch it doesn't matter.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:54 pm

A very common practice in the later 50's. It was used by almost every agent or mgr to get their artists records played. However, I have never heard that of the Col. I think payola really took off after Elvis & rock and roll hit big, when every one who cut a rock and roll song wanted it to be a hit, thus the payola scandal.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:21 pm

If only RCA had employed "payola" during the '70s, maybe My Boy would have been a hit in the U.S.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:12 am

memphismemories wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

i agree,about thinking twice

Easy bet when you're of limited value. This is just informed speculation. Practice was very common and the stakes were high personally for Sholes and politically for RCA in the industry so it would seem a modest insurance policy using a practice that few thought wrong. No way to prove and no evidence to suggest.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:34 am

midnightx wrote:If only RCA had employed "payola" during the '70s, maybe My Boy would have been a hit in the U.S.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:A secondary argument against management using payola to further the success of a record release: money. Rare was the occasion when Tom Parker would pry open his wallet and use his own money away to promote talent.

I think this hits the nail on the head perfectly!