Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

lp awards

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Heres some i never thought would go gold, or platinum or multi platinum
Girl happy-gold
Frankie and Johnny-platinum
Let's be friends-platinum
Almost in love-platinum
C;mon everybody-gold
Igot lucky-platinum
Elvis sings hits from his movies vol 1-Platinum
Elvis Fool-5x platinum
Double dynamite-platinum
Mahalo from Elvis-gold
Elvis sings for children and grownups-gold
His two best late 60s lps only went gold
Feim
From Memphis to Vegas
To see the rest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley_hit_albums

Re: lp awards

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:11 pm

Yeah.

I've often noticed that Elvis' best work almost always got outsold by his lesser work.

Still i think From Elvis in Memphis might be due for an upgrade to plantinum since it hasn't received any sale updates since 1969.

However when Sony re-releases old Elvis Lp's on CD they include more than four bonus tracks which according to the RIAA rules must then be counted as two separate releases.

So maybe FEIM isn't due an upgrade because of that.

Although the Elvis and Elvis Presley LP's from 1956 were finally given an upgrade to platinum recently.

You also have to wonder if Sony has the proper paperwork to get more updates on older releases and if they are willing to spend the money to get them.

Especially since the CD format is dead and everyone is either listening to music through electronic devices or the internet and physical sales of an album don't seem to matter as much as they did 10 to 15 years ago.

Re: lp awards

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:37 pm

I find it almost impossible to believe that Elvis (Fool) is 5xP. Must be a mistake. Perhaps in this case "Elvis" refers to the mail order album on Brookville Records which came out around '73 I think. That title could be around 5xP.

Re: lp awards

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:44 pm

JerryNodak wrote:I find it almost impossible to believe that Elvis (Fool) is 5xP. Must be a mistake. Perhaps in this case "Elvis" refers to the mail order album on Brookville Records which came out around '73 I think. That title could be around 5xP.


Right. Elvis Fool, 5x Platinum? No way. Cant be.

Re: lp awards

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:55 am

JerryNodak wrote:I find it almost impossible to believe that Elvis (Fool) is 5xP. Must be a mistake. Perhaps in this case "Elvis" refers to the mail order album on Brookville Records which came out around '73 I think. That title could be around 5xP.


It is a mistake.

Fool has never even been certified gold.

Re: lp awards

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:02 am

Fool was also one of the first Elvis albums to turn up in the cutout bins. The Camden albums sold in big numbers because you only had to fork over a couple bucks for them back in the 70's. My mom bought those for me - my parents never budgeted for music :roll:

Re: lp awards

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:10 am

ritchie valens wrote:Heres some i never thought would go gold, or platinum or multi platinum...

To see the rest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley_hit_albums

Wikipedia failed to include the 1978 5-LP box set titled Memories Of Elvis (RCA/Candlelite Music)
>> http://www.amazon.com/Memories-Elvis-La ... B00413BV8M
It was Candlelite Music's follow-up to their 1977 issue of The Elvis Presley Story (2X Platinum)
>> http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Presley-Sto ... B003CHQQGK

elvis.com has it wrongly listed as *Our Memories of Elvis >> http://www.elvis.com/about-the-king/mus ... lbums.aspx
......
Moody Blue, 2X Platinum
Elvis in Concert, 3X Platinum
He Walks Beside Me, Gold
Elvis, A Legendary Performer, Vol. 3, Gold
* Our Memories of Elvis, Gold
This Is Elvis, Gold
Elvis Aron Presley, Platinum
Memories of Christmas, Gold ......

Wikipedia is also wrong having Our Memories of Elvis listed as "Gold".

Re: lp awards

Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:20 pm

JerryNodak wrote:I find it almost impossible to believe that Elvis (Fool) is 5xP. Must be a mistake. Perhaps in this case "Elvis" refers to the mail order album on Brookville Records which came out around '73 I think. That title could be around 5xP.


Correct. From the RIAA Website showing release and award dates:

PRESLEY, ELVIS ELVIS August 01, 1973 December 01, 2010 RCA/BROOKVILLE MARKETING Standard 5.00x MULTI PLATINUM ALBUM SOLO

Brian

Re: lp awards

Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:39 pm

EPE show Elvis as having 90 Albums that have achieved either Gold, Platinum, Multi-Platinum or Diamond with the Recording Industry Association Of America. Out of that 90 only 45 (half) are currently available on CD from Amazon.com (and presumably other retailers) that could possibly help Elvis further increase his Awards. Some of those not available on CD are available on MP3 and some from private sellers but very few.

The RIAA ruling is that if an original album is re-released with more than four additional tracks then it is given a new Catalog Number and sales cannot be added to the original. This is what has been happening to many of Elvis' original albums with the Legacy Releases and others. Further, two soundtracks or two different albums on one disc are again treated as a new release whose sales cannot be added to the originals. Whilst SONY are doing the fans and general public proud with these new releases by giving them better value for money they are also depriving Elvis from increasing his RIAA tally. From SONY's perspective such awards are not important as they do not increase record sales but from the fan's perspective many want Elvis to get his due.

Suffice it to say that the following albums (in their ORIGINAL format) are not now generally available on CD:

Elvis Presley
Elvis
Loving You
King Creole
Elvis' Golden Records (Vol.1
Elvis Is Back
Something For Everybody
Blue Hawaii
Elvis' Gold Records (Vol.4)
From Elvis In Memphis
Elvis - From Memphis To Vegas - From Vegas To Memphis
Elvis' Christmas Album (1970 Package)
Elvis, That's The Way It Is
Elvis Country
Elvis: The Other Sides - 50 Gold Award Hits (Vol.2)
Elvis Sings The Wonderful World Of Christmas
Aloha From Hawaii
Elvis: A Legendary Performer (Vol.1)
Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis
Pure Gold
Elvis: A Legendary Performer (Vol.2)
Welcome To My World
Moody Blue
He Walks Beside Me
Elvis: A Legendary Performer (Vol.3)
Our Memories Of Elvis
This Is Elvis
Elvis Aron Presley
Memories Of Christmas
Elvis: The King Of Rock 'n' Roll - The Complete 50's Masters
Elvis: His Greatest Hits (Readers Digest Compilation)
Amazing Grace
Elvis: Walk A Mile In My Shoes: The Essential 70's Masters
50 Years - 50 Hits
The Elvis Presley Story
Elvis Gospel Treasury
The Complete Sun Sessions
The Rock 'n' Roll Era
The Legend Lives On
Double Dynamite
Love Me Tender (1987 Compilation)
C'mon Everybody
Elvis In Hollywood
Elvis - Brookville Marketing (1973)
Mahalo From Elvis.

Some fans will say that the Awards do not really matter and that SONY's policy of giving value for money is paramount. Others will disagree and wish Elvis to get his due from the RIAA. It is strongly rumoured that the CD format will disappear within the next few years and give way to downloading. This may then provide the opportunity for all of Elvis' albums to be re-released in their original format, albeit digitally, as well as the new formats. In this way Elvis could increase his RIAA Award tally. Of course I feel that SONY, in such a scenario, should have a major digital launch of the Presley back catalog, which in my opinion is well overdue.

I would be interesting to hear fan's thoughts on this matter.

Brian

Re: lp awards

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:22 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:EPE show Elvis as having 90 Albums that have achieved either Gold, Platinum, Multi-Platinum or Diamond with the Recording Industry Association Of America. Out of that 90 only 45 (half) are currently available on CD from Amazon.com (and presumably other retailers) that could possibly help Elvis further increase his Awards. Some of those not available on CD are available on MP3 and some from private sellers but very few.

The RIAA ruling is that if an original album is re-released with more than four additional tracks then it is given a new Catalog Number and sales cannot be added to the original. This is what has been happening to many of Elvis' original albums with the Legacy Releases and others. Further, two soundtracks or two different albums on one disc are again treated as a new release whose sales cannot be added to the originals. Whilst SONY are doing the fans and general public proud with these new releases by giving them better value for money they are also depriving Elvis from increasing his RIAA tally. From SONY's perspective such awards are not important as they do not increase record sales but from the fan's perspective many want Elvis to get his due.

Some fans will say that the Awards do not really matter and that SONY's policy of giving value for money is paramount. Others will disagree and wish Elvis to get his due from the RIAA. It is strongly rumoured that the CD format will disappear within the next few years and give way to downloading. This may then provide the opportunity for all of Elvis' albums to be re-released in their original format, albeit digitally, as well as the new formats. In this way Elvis could increase his RIAA Award tally. Of course I feel that SONY, in such a scenario, should have a major digital launch of the Presley back catalog, which in my opinion is well overdue.

I would be interesting to hear fan's thoughts on this matter.

Brian


The RIAA Awards has been a signature and reflection of success for a number of notable artists.

I think it's a combination of Elvis should get his due from the RIAA and some Awards do not really matter.

How many awards for releases are great and well worth having?

Elvis should get his due for his original albums with the legacy releases... 50's, 60's and 70's Complete Masters. But if your presenting a list of Awards that include "Elvis Sings for Children and Grownups Too" I'd say, no. But others would strongly disagree.

Image

Re: lp awards

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:14 am

I think the RIAA's rules are unfair, but maybe this is why the Beatles never allow their original albums to be released with bonus tracks.

Re: lp awards

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:51 am

Elvis should get his due from RIAA. I don't care what the album or single is or whether I personally count the album or single amomg my personal faves or not. Sales are sales and Elvis should get his due credit for the award achieved.

Re: lp awards

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:04 am

I agree - and I wonder how many other artists sales have been under-reported?

Re: lp awards

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:43 am

I agree - and I wonder how many other artists sales have been under-reported?
i bet a lot of artists have.

Re: lp awards

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:41 am

Lonely Summer wrote:I think the RIAA's rules are unfair, but maybe this is why the Beatles never allow their original albums to be released with bonus tracks.

I disagree with this interpretation. The Beatles have consistently maintained the integrity (in every sense) of their original releases - to the extent that, when releasing the albums on CD, the original UK releases (plus the US version of Magical Mystery Tour) were used as the definitive version of each album. To these, they added two volumes of singles and non-album tracks to complete their recorded output.

No bonus tracks were available, nor were they necessary.

This philosophy has carried through to the 2010 CD remasters and 2012 vinyl versions. And I'm sure that most Beatles fans would agree that, fascinating though much of the Anthology and Live At The BBC are, to append any of this previously unreleased material as bonus tracks to the original albums would spoil the listening experience. These are Beatles albums, after all.

Re: lp awards

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:06 pm

Wouldn't spoil it for me - how could it? The bonus tracks are by defination IN ADDITION TO, not IN PLACE OF any songs off the original album.

Re: lp awards

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:26 pm

This whole issue with Elvis not having the awards that he should have can not only be blamed on the rules of the RIAA, but also by RCA's handling of the catalog. However, the huge update of awards in the 1990s was a great start and a show of respect from both label and association.

Re: lp awards

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:I agree - and I wonder how many other artists sales have been under-reported?


Maybe not as many as you'd think.

As you know most artists from the 50s and 60s were singles artists that didn't even bother to put out very many albums.

The RIAA doesn't bother to count singles sales.

Re: lp awards

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:13 pm

brian wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:I agree - and I wonder how many other artists sales have been under-reported?


Maybe not as many as you'd think.

As you know most artists from the 50s and 60s were singles artists that didn't even bother to put out very many albums.

The RIAA doesn't bother to count singles sales.

That is sad. 45's were the medium of choice from the mid 50's up till sometime in the 60's.

Re: lp awards

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:38 am

Lonely Summer wrote:45's were the medium of choice from the mid 50's up till sometime in the 60's.


The year 1968 was the first year, when LPs sell more than singles.

Re: lp awards

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:02 am

PetriTCB wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:45's were the medium of choice from the mid 50's up till sometime in the 60's.


The year 1968 was the first year, when LPs sell more than singles.

I'd be very interested in seeing the sales figures for artists single releases. We know Elvis and the Beatles would be at the top, but I would guess The Beach Boys, Fats Domino, Rick Nelson and the Supremes would rank very high on that list, too. And if we include 78's, probably a lot of non-rock artists, too.

Re: lp awards

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:50 am

Lonely Summer wrote:
PetriTCB wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:45's were the medium of choice from the mid 50's up till sometime in the 60's.


The year 1968 was the first year, when LPs sell more than singles.

I'd be very interested in seeing the sales figures for artists single releases. We know Elvis and the Beatles would be at the top, but I would guess The Beach Boys, Fats Domino, Rick Nelson and the Supremes would rank very high on that list, too. And if we include 78's, probably a lot of non-rock artists, too.


Elvis is number one with 50 million.

I have heard that Elton John is #2 with 21 million.

Re: lp awards

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:29 am

The 1973 full priced Lp, "Elvis" sold 191,000 albums and 93,000 Tapes, and that is fact !

Sometimes Ernst, maybe for dramatic effect, has a way of underscoring actual sales figures when mentioning them in his books, and/or interviews.

The main problem with the 1973 Lp was, originally, not only a lousy choice of timing release, (June), "Aloha" had just peaked at #1 in May, song selection, but it's lame artwork
made it look cheap, cheaper than the budget releases on Camden.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen and heard people say, or mention, that they bought an album simply because of it's great artwork, and/or packaging, etc etc ...

If a little more thought and planning had gone into play when releasing an Elvis Presley Lp in the 1970's, he would have had much more "Unit" sales than the usual 300,000 hardcore fanbase.

Re: lp awards

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:07 am

minkahed wrote:The 1973 full priced Lp, "Elvis" sold 191,000 albums and 93,000 Tapes, and that is fact !

Sometimes Ernst, maybe for dramatic effect, has a way of underscoring actual sales figures when mentioning them in his books, and/or interviews.

The main problem with the 1973 Lp was, originally, not only a lousy choice of timing release, (June), "Aloha" had just peaked at #1 in May, song selection, but it's lame artwork
made it look cheap, cheaper than the budget releases on Camden.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen and heard people say, or mention, that they bought an album simply because of it's great artwork, and/or packaging, etc etc ...

If a little more thought and planning had gone into play when releasing an Elvis Presley Lp in the 1970's, he would have had much more "Unit" sales than the usual 300,000 hardcore fanbase.

I thought the same thing when I bought the "Elvis" album. "What, no title? The songs aren't listed in order on the back cover, no timings"...in fact, the back cover is mostly just an ad for the MSG and Aloha albums. The way this record was presented LOOKED like a budget album. And in the early days of Elvis on Camden, this was what they were releasing (i.e, Almost in Love, Let's Be Friends), before it became the dumping ground for old movie songs.

Re: lp awards

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
minkahed wrote:The 1973 full priced Lp, "Elvis" sold 191,000 albums and 93,000 Tapes, and that is fact !

Sometimes Ernst, maybe for dramatic effect, has a way of underscoring actual sales figures when mentioning them in his books, and/or interviews.

The main problem with the 1973 Lp was, originally, not only a lousy choice of timing release, (June), "Aloha" had just peaked at #1 in May, song selection, but it's lame artwork
made it look cheap, cheaper than the budget releases on Camden.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen and heard people say, or mention, that they bought an album simply because of it's great artwork, and/or packaging, etc etc ...

If a little more thought and planning had gone into play when releasing an Elvis Presley Lp in the 1970's, he would have had much more "Unit" sales than the usual 300,000 hardcore fanbase.

I thought the same thing when I bought the "Elvis" album. "What, no title? The songs aren't listed in order on the back cover, no timings"...in fact, the back cover is mostly just an ad for the MSG and Aloha albums. The way this record was presented LOOKED like a budget album. And in the early days of Elvis on Camden, this was what they were releasing (i.e, Almost in Love, Let's Be Friends), before it became the dumping ground for old movie songs.


"Having Fun With Elvis On Stage" RCA Released in '74. I've heard many fans and DJs say to be the worst Elvis album RCA put out. Hard to believe it managed to make it up to #130 on the Billboard album charts, and even as high as #9 on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart.

Image
pic http://www.elvisrecords.us/category/long-play/