Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

How accurate is Keith Flynn's Elvis Presley pages is?

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:33 pm

I wish someone could help me about a problem I am concern about. Last night, I notice when I was trying to find dates and location when a certain Elvis' song was performed or find a certain take of a song during one of Elvis recording sessions, I notice that Keith Flynn's website site says one thing and the CD information that was programed on the disc says another. Which one is right? For instants, On the FTD Jungle room session, The CD claims that Moody Blue is take 3 but Keith Flynn's website say it is (take 7, 8 part, 4 part, & 5). Another example is the FTD Long Lonely Highway album, they say It Feels So Fight and I'm Yours is take one, but Keith Flynn's website claims it is take 2.

What should I believe? If I go with Keith's information, I may have to change all my information on each CD's in my iTunes. Thank you in advance for your advice and opinions.

Re: How accurate is Keith Flynn's Elvis Presley pages is?

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:03 pm

If you look up 'Accuracy' in The Oxford Dictionary, you will see a picture of Keith Flynn.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Keith Flynn did a lot of research, so I rather believe the information on his site than something iTunes or RCA-Victor states.
RCA-Victor has been known to have the wrong information and even the wrong "master" here and there.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Usually a wrong take number on a cd gets mentioned..(listed as take..)

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Accurate enough that when Keith got his (old) site completely functional, I discontinued my own elvissessions web site.

On the exceedingly rare occasion I or others have noticed mistakes, Keith has corrected things quickly, so if you do confirm an error I encourage you to contact him.

To be honest, these days I just take whatever he says on faith, so I guess I can't say line-by-line what his current batting average is. But without a doubt he's the Ted Williams of the Elvis sessionographers. (Apologies to those overseas unschooled in baseball.)

[Edit: In reply to queries: Please remember, I am elvissessions. Elvisrecordings is something else entirely -- and entirely better, for sure. Also, I am not anyone else notable or influential in the Elvis world. I'm flattered some people still seem to be confusing me with others, though I can't understand why they do because I've never been anywhere close to those others' league. Not ... even ... close ...]
Last edited by elvissessions on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:47 pm

Justintoelvis wrote:What should I believe?

In general, the site is accurate on those details. So update your iTunes with impunity.

In other areas, it is not spot-on.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:51 am

Since you’re so knowledgeable care to point out these faults, instead of trying to put him down!!

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:56 am

elvissessions wrote:Accurate enough that when Keith got his (old) site completely functional, I discontinued my own elvissessions web site.

On the exceedingly rare occasion I or others have noticed mistakes, Keith has corrected things quickly, so if you do confirm an error I encourage you to contact him.

To be honest, these days I just take whatever he says on faith, so I guess I can't say line-by-line what his current batting average is. But without a doubt he's the Ted Williams of the Elvis sessionographers. (Apologies to those overseas unschooled in baseball.)

[Edit: In reply to queries: Please remember, I am elvissessions. Elvisrecordings is something else entirely -- and entirely better, for sure. Also, I am not anyone else notable or influential in the Elvis world. I'm flattered some people still seem to be confusing me with others, though I can't understand why they do because I've never been anywhere close to those others' league. Not ... even ... close ...]

What an honest, reliable fan you are. I love your "discontinued" site and still visit it from time to time.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:37 am

E-1 wrote:Since you’re so knowledgeable care to point out these faults, instead of trying to put him down!!

Err...I didn't see anyone putting anyone else down. I just saw someone acknowledging that nothing's perfect.

Myself, I've noticed that the list of releases containing unique mixes/edits of the songs isn't always entirely accurate (for example, some of the tracks on The Memphis Record are marked as being equivalent to the tracks on FEIM, even though they're different mixes). But as others have said, the batting average is still remarkably high.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:54 am

Keith has a great site.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:00 am

Thanks!!! This is great information for me to know. I got a lot of work to do tonight and I don't think I am going to edit all my FTD collections tonight.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:16 am

I just heard a good example on why the information that was programed on the disc was wrong and Keith Flynn's site is correct. As I was listening to the Song "Stand by Me" on the FTD ablum Elvis Easter Special, you can hear the guy say take 7. On the album, it states it is take 3. All is takes is good ears and Keith Flynn's website.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:47 am

Eggrert wrote:
E-1 wrote:Since you’re so knowledgeable care to point out these faults, instead of trying to put him down!!

Err...I didn't see anyone putting anyone else down. I just saw someone acknowledging that nothing's perfect.

Myself, I've noticed that the list of releases containing unique mixes/edits of the songs isn't always entirely accurate (for example, some of the tracks on The Memphis Record are marked as being equivalent to the tracks on FEIM, even though they're different mixes). But as others have said, the batting average is still remarkably high.

Thank you. As is clear, I am not the one with an "agenda."

Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:41 am

Eggrert wrote:

Sadly Eggrert, this "person" has nothing better to do... when will we see him next and under which login??? It's anyone's guess...

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:34 pm

His site is very accurate; when errors turned up his site is immediately updated. I have not find a better site with recording information elswhere.

colonel snow

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:53 pm

I think the site is great, and one of the very few to provide such vast information on Presley's recording account.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:57 pm

Great site and very accurate. He's doing a fantastic job, one of my favourite sites!

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:52 am

colonel snow wrote:His site is very accurate; when errors turned up his site is immediately updated.

This is actually not true.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
colonel snow wrote:His site is very accurate; when errors turned up his site is immediately updated.

Explain.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:40 am

The site is terrific and so is Keith. He doesn't contribute here due to past issues, but does occasionally comment on another board and is very polite and helpful.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:26 am

When I have contacted him about errors or whatever he immeditaly amended the bugs when it was necessary.
Last edited by Ciscoking on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:37 pm

He's site is the best guide on the web, Quite extraordinary that it is made ​​by a fan and not by a record company who normaly has all infomations available.
I look daily on his site, Keith has invested a lot of time researching.
imagine if that site is gone.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:16 pm

ColinB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Explain.

And then comes the silence.............

Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:21 pm

I just think that Keith should consider a complete-as-possible Elvis Presley The Complete Recordings (excluding audience tapes) book, perhaps if Ernst decides that he isn't going to update his excellent A Life In Music book which is now about 15 years old.

I printed the whole thing, from Keith Flynn's website, and ended up with an arm thick of printed paper, including all studio and live stuff, and it is impractical to handle to say the least. Better than nothing.

But the ultimate Elvis recordings book by the leading expert (next to Jorgensen), who wouldn't want that?

Of course, I have never have gotten the Tunzi books?

Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:58 pm

James27 wrote:Of course, I have never have gotten the Tunzi books?

it`s my understanding that his definitive sessions book is coming this year, but it will be expensive and I for one will be getting it