Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New Gravel Road CD released

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:19 pm

Star-Spangled Spectacular Bicentennial ‘76
A look at what you get for your £24.99 - £29.99 + £4.00 post and packaging (as on e-bay buy now)

This is promoted as the best thing since sliced bread, but is it?
The CD states a LIMITED EDITION with EXTRA DISC the newly re-mastered April 9th 1972 Hampton Roads show? Well “Gravel" may have re-mastered it from scratch but that was also done by the “Triangle Label” and the packaging from them was like the sound out-standing, which led the “Madison Label” to leave it alone as they thought it could not be bettered, with the series they were doing “Red Hot In Richmond” & “Greensboro Revolution” and fair play to them.

But here comes Mr Gravel with the boast of superior sound, well sorry no between this and “Triangle” I would give the edge to the older release. (if you don’t have the triangle release this is a fair substitute).
CD 2.jpg

The CD its self boasts this is a Bonus CD, well that’s OK if it is a bonus, but its far from a bonus at the price expected to pay for this set, everyone is paying standard 2 CD set prices so NO ITS NOT A BONUS.

Anyway back to the main CD of this release, the old “Fort Baxter” Bicentennial Elvis Experience”, forget the performance itself and Elvis voice, lets just focus on the sound. The original sounds less muffled, yes it’s been cleaned up but in doing that it’s also lost a bit of clarity, what normally happens when you tinker too much.
Personally this is just not worth the asking price, as it’s a long way from an upgrade in my eyes, more an excuse to make money for nothing.
inner book.jpg

What would have made it worth getting well the answer there is easy, if you don’t have either release then yes it’s probably worth it.
Also if the BONUS disc was a real bonus disc in it having the missing tracks that are available lifted from the Blue-ray disc and masterfully edited into their rightful place. (but that’s where the problems lie, “Masterfully” something “Gravel Roads” has failed to do so far, just listen to “Closing Night Feb 1970 on “Gravels” alt label “Graceland Records” it’s a dreadful patch up job and a track was forgotten about too.

And A bonus Disc should be exactly that a bonus (No charge) unlike here where the emphasis is on money making rather than what is said.
But as usual so much spin turns this into a joke release.
The Digi pack is that of what we have been accustomed to seeing, here nothing special, the text on the back cover is very small and hard to read especially the text down the side next to James Burton,
Project1.jpg

brail may have been a better option, when you open the front fold again text that if you wish to read it, your going to have a job as it’s not easy.
The booklet that comes with this is a failing grasp at justifying this release and a whole load of bull on how “Gravel” found a discarded MGM tape.
Good grief who does he think he is, all this rubbish just adds to the discredit of this release, it this was a “Venus/Madison/Fort Baxter/DAE” release they would not have added such ludicrous text, as they are/were a little more professional in what they produced. Also each of the mentioned labels have all done one major thing different to “Gravel” and that is release something “UNRELEASED” not just come along scrap up the old releases and re-hash release them making boasting comments that don’t read true.
iner front.jpg

You can read it better here as its been blown up and lightened

This is just another example, yes I have no time for the person behind this label as I think he is a clown, but his artistic flair for making covers has been on the whole very good, although again of late he has been slipping there too, and the text if your going to put any, you need to make it readable, and preferable not a fairy story either.

So
Buy it if you haven’t the original discs, otherwise it’s not worth it. I know I bought it. And I have the originals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by E-1 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:51 pm

thank you for your review E-1! I have been torn on getting this release or not, I have the Triangle release of the 72 show, but i do not have this 76 concert in my collection... but i think i shall pass as I have plenty of summer of 76 soundboards already & I already have the 76 version of "Return to Sender" on my New Haven 76 FTD and frankly imo its one of the saddest listening experiences.

JEFF d
EP fan

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Excellent 'review' of this release and CONFIRMS my absolute need NOT to waste my money on it!~ :wtf:

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:16 pm

E-1 wrote:Buy it if you haven’t the original discs,....

I second this... ::rocks

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:42 pm

haha~! i have the original discs!~ :wtf:

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:44 pm

I missed the 1976 show.. :oops: ..only had a cdr..

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:03 pm

E-1 wrote:... yes I have no time for the person behind this label as I think he is a clown ...

And yet you had enough time to scan and upload images, and post an extensive review. ;-)

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:28 pm

Yes I did didn’t I Doc, as I like to COLLECT ELVIS CD’s good with the BAD, so that I can give an honest opinion on what I have bought.
As it would be unfair of me to call him a clown otherwise. But nice to see selective reading by yourself and nice colourful text as usual I bet you loved crayons at school.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:35 pm

E-1 wrote:Yes I did didn’t I Doc, as I like to COLLECT ELVIS CD’s good with the BAD, so that I can give an honest opinion on what I have bought.

:lol:

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 pm

Once again nothing but a stupid smile and colourful text to highlight, come on your better than that, even your lap dog does better.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:08 am

Ciscoking wrote:I missed the 1976 show.. :oops: ..only had a cdr..

That is quite sufficient for this show + on the NEW HAVEN FTD we had a bonus of 'return to sender ' track from this same show... funny thing is the night b4 show Hampton Roads was a much better show...only for Elvis to go down with bad FLU for last 5 days of this tour. :?