Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: "MINE" - The Lost Gem?

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:28 am

MaryAnn wrote:Amazingly, people can listen to a song and appreciate it for what it is.

They don't think about if it should have been released as a single, would have been better as a filler on a soundtrack album, or some bonus track.

Elvis liked it enough to perform it beautifully -- and I like it. If the song speaks to a person, it is a gem.

Sure, but Elvis performed "Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce" beautifully, too.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:Amazingly, people can listen to a song and appreciate it for what it is.

They don't think about if it should have been released as a single, would have been better as a filler on a soundtrack album, or some bonus track.

Elvis liked it enough to perform it beautifully -- and I like it. If the song speaks to a person, it is a gem.

Sure, but Elvis performed "Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce" beautifully, too.

And if that song speaks to you, doc, then it's a gem. Enjoy!

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:52 am

MaryAnn wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Sadly, both songs are ... mute. ;-)

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Mute? Moot? :?:

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:07 am

MaryAnn wrote:For me, it IS a lost gem.

If I hadn't accidentally become a fan due to other circumstances, I never would have found it -- and it is one of my very favorite Elvis songs.

It's a song I love to hear and I'll pull it up on YouTube or skip to that track on my CD quite often. It is another go-to song that I play for some of my more "romantic" friends who dismissed Elvis and "Hound Dog" long ago. Invariably, they love it. ("I never knew...")

I think the vocals on the song are amazing and it is a perfect vehicle for Elvis to use that intangible gift he had for communicating through song. The simplicy of the song is deceptive. In point of fact, that is exactly what makes it so unique.

I agree 100%

What separates Elvis from the rest is his ability to take certain lyrics and turn them into magic. I don't listen to Elvis songs, I feel Elvis songs.

Now corny lyrics and nursery rhymes are something different.

I'm just shocked with some of this negativity. People are fans for different reasons and maybe some of the others don't feel it like we do.

Try listening to it through a good pair of headphones. The song will speak to you through each lyric.
Last edited by ElvisTheKid on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:09 am

Blue River wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:If the song speaks to a person, it is a gem.

Some people just don't get it, Mary Ann... and they never will. For you and ElvisTheKid it's a gem and that's all that matters.

On this we agree. They have the right to adore this song.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Oh come on Doc. That's a little harsh! :|

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:25 am

I prefer '"Mine" to "I''m Yours", but that's just my opinion. Yours is yours. I think subconciously Elvis knew song titles such as this would spark fierce debate on internet forums decades later which is why he went on to record "This is OUR Dance" to bring some balance. He failed though as we all agree that song is crap.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:56 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:I'm just shocked with some of this negativity.

No reason to be shocked. It's not like the song and performance have been slammed. Most seem to think it's quite nice but nothing really special. I agree. The melody is pleasant, but fairly ordinary, and Elvis does just fine with it but doesn't knock my socks off in the way that he does on tracks such as "There's Always Me" and "Are You Lonesome Tonight?"

Don't sweat it. If you love it, that's what counts. I bet every member here has at least one fave track that most fans don't get all that excited about.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:13 am

Mine is no worse than I'm Yours but the vocal on the latter is far stronger.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:32 am

MaryAnn wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:And if that song speaks to you, doc, then it's a gem. Enjoy!

Mute? Moot? :?:

See highlights.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:38 pm

"Mine" is a beautiful song. "Big Boss Man"? You can keep that one...

Re:

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Matthew wrote:It is not a lost gem, but it is head and shoulders above Singing Tree!

That about sums it up. I cant see this one competing with Hey Jude or Mrs Robinson on the 1968 singes chart. Can anyone really believe it would? No radio appeal for those times.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Mine is a nice performance of a pretty-but-unexceptional song. It's a filler quality, old-fashioned sounding tune at a time when Elvis needed to record strong, top shelf contemporary material. Mine a hit single? No way. If Indescribably Blue (a much better song) couldn't crack the top 30 then there's no way Mine was going to be a hit single. Especially in 1968.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:15 pm

Best recordings of 1967:

Guitar Man
Big Boss Man
Hi-Heel Sneakers
You Don't Know Me (remake)
You'll Never Walk Alone
Let Yourself Go
All I Needed Was The Rain

Bubbling under:

Speedway
Suppose (Short Version)
Just Call Me Lonesome
Last edited by elvisalisellers on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:28 pm

ElvisTheKid wrote:I think this song could have been a huge hit for Elvis if it was released as a single.

Pete Dube wrote:Mine is a nice performance of a pretty-but-unexceptional song. It's a filler quality, old-fashioned sounding tune at a time when Elvis needed to record strong, top shelf contemporary material. Mine a hit single? No way. If Indescribably Blue (a much better song) couldn't crack the top 30 then there's no way Mine was going to be a hit single. Especially in 1968.

Good analogy... I agree with you, Pete. I was thinking the same thing about "Indescribably Blue".

However, in defense of ElvisTheKid and especially Mary Ann referring to "Mine" as a gem...
The song "Mine" is as well (or better) described as a "gem" than TIME-LIFE labeling some others as "Treasures".
Take a look ~

TREASURES 1964 - 1969 >> http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-elvis ... 0001167540
Hey Little Girl
Datin'
Anyone (Could Fall in Love With You)
Beyond the Reef
Beginner's Luck
Tender Feeling
Suppose
The Girl I Never Loved
Stay Away
Singing Tree

TREASURES 1960 - 1963 >> http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-elvis ... 0000962231
In My Way
I Feel That I've Known You Forever
Just for Old Time Sake
Sentimental Me
Summer Kisses, Winter Tears
Judy
It's a Sin
Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers
Whistling Tune
Relax

"Treasures" ?

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:40 pm

May not be a "gem" u guys, but it sure is a "diamond in the rough" ............

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:51 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Best recordings of 1967:
Guitar Man, Big Boss Man, Hi-Heel Sneakers, You Don't Know Me (remake), You'll Never Walk Alone, Let Yourself Go, All I Needed Was The Rain

Bubbling under: Speedway, Suppose (Short Version)

That's accurate, elvisalisellers. My "bubbling under" choices would also include "Mine", "We Call On Him", and "Just Call Me Lonesome".

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:56 pm

dennyelvis wrote:May not be a "gem" u guys, but it sure is a "diamond in the rough" ............

Indeed "dennyelvis". On a separate note, "Rough Cut Diamonds" remains one of the best Presley bootleg titles and products. Pity Ernst didn't get there first.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:08 pm

Blue River wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:Best recordings of 1967:
Guitar Man, Big Boss Man, Hi-Heel Sneakers, You Don't Know Me (remake), You'll Never Walk Alone, Let Yourself Go, All I Needed Was The Rain

Bubbling under: Speedway, Suppose (Short Version)

That's accurate, elvisalisellers. My "bubbling under" choices would also include "Mine", "We Call On Him", and "Just Call Me Lonesome".

I overlooked Just Call Me Lonesome from my personal preferences.

Think I prefer the more uptempo take [in both initial and remake versions] to the original cut, though.

1967 definitely showed signs of a return to greatness.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 pm

My ears don't hear "Mine" as a gem. More like a nice, pleasant song which Elvis sings well. My ears enjoy the song.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:44 am

JerryNodak wrote:My ears don't hear "Mine" as a gem. More like a nice, pleasant song which Elvis sings well. My ears enjoy the song.

Right, more of a gem would be Suppose. Still not hit single material, but it had a better chance than Mine.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:49 am

Wasn't it originally submitted to the paradise Hawaiian style soundtrack? Btw, I love elvis voice on those September 67 sessions.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:53 am

I like the song...true and sad love song

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:58 am

Only on a hardcore fan forum would a track like "Mine" receive so much love.

But it's OK. ;-)