Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"MINE" - The Lost Gem?

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:38 pm

Mine - Recorded 9-10-67 Roy C. Bennett and Sid Tepper - Speedway Soundtrack

I think this song could have been a huge hit for Elvis if it was released as a single. It does have a 50's feel to it so maybe it was considered dated for 1967. The vocals are so chilling; this could have been proof that Elvis never lost it.

I'd like to know who the girl is with that operatic voice?

Take 4
phpBB [video]

Take 9
phpBB [video]

Re: "MINE" - The Lost Gem?

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:43 pm

That's Millie Kirkham

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:12 pm

I agree its a fine song with a sublime performance. Not sure about it being a single choice but would have made a fine album track on a non-soundtrack album of the era.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:14 pm

Listening now, when u think there was very little "studio tech" involved in these, WHAT A VOICE !!!!!!!!!!!! imagine in todays studios, what could they produce ?

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:22 pm

The song is very pedestrian and Elvis' vocal is far beneath the sublime singing he did between 1960 - 1964. IMO, the song is right where it belongs, filler on a bad soundtrack album.
Last edited by stevelecher on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:24 pm

I can't say it's one of my favourites. Elvis's singing is just fine, by the song is a bit wet, I think. And really quite insubstantial - four lines repeated twice.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:30 pm

stevelecher wrote:The song is very pedestrian and Elvis' vocal is far beneath the sublime singing he did between 1960 - 1964. IMO, the song is right where it belongs, filler on a bad soundtrack album.

Agree. It's not a "lost gem."

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:36 pm

I like the song but it's an album track it wasn't singles material.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:43 pm

It is not a lost gem, but it is head and shoulders above Singing Tree!

Re:

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:59 pm

Matthew wrote:It is not a lost gem, but it is head and shoulders above Singing Tree!

Well now that's saying something.

Re:

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:52 pm

Matthew wrote:It is not a lost gem, but it is head and shoulders above Singing Tree!

You only say that 'cause you ain't never had a tree sing to you.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:The song is very pedestrian and Elvis' vocal is far beneath the sublime singing he did between 1960 - 1964. IMO, the song is right where it belongs, filler on a bad soundtrack album.

Agree. It's not a "lost gem."

How can you both say that! Are we listening to the same voice? That is a beautiful song.

Considering what was being released as singles during that time, Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby & Let Yourself Go, this is a hidden gem on that Soundtrack. It's the simplicity that makes it what it is. Listen to it again with headphones!

Let me guess, "Suppose" was no good either? I just don't get the bitterness during that period.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:44 am

Elvis voice is superb on "Mine".

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:56 am

I prefer Suppose but Mine is quite nice and well delivered

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:19 am

Mine is "quite nice", but certainly no gem. Suppose is also "quite nice", I suppose, but is no gem either.

It's nice when fans root for the underdog songs but really, calling some of them "gems" is a bit misplaced.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:30 am

It's a nice song, but a "gem" or a "lost hit single"?

No way.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:16 am

I like it for what it is,a nice song well sung but as others have said I wouldn't call it a lost gem or a song that could have been a potential hit single.

norrie

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:15 am

Let Yourself Go is a better song and better sung. Compare Mine to Anything That's Part of You and tell me that both vocals are "sublime." They don't compare.

Suppose is better and EP seemed to care about it but it too ended up where it deserves.

There are a lot of great recordings from this time of experimentation by Elvis. You Don't Know Me/Big Boss Man is a tremendous single by him and are performances that are far more exciting than Mine or Suppose.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:26 am

For me, it IS a lost gem.

If I hadn't accidentally become a fan due to other circumstances, I never would have found it -- and it is one of my very favorite Elvis songs.

It's a song I love to hear and I'll pull it up on YouTube or skip to that track on my CD quite often. It is another go-to song that I play for some of my more "romantic" friends who dismissed Elvis and "Hound Dog" long ago. Invariably, they love it. ("I never knew...")

I think the vocals on the song are amazing and it is a perfect vehicle for Elvis to use that intangible gift he had for communicating through song. The simplicy of the song is deceptive. In point of fact, that is exactly what makes it so unique.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's not a "lost gem."

That's right... it's a "found gem".

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:46 am

Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It's not a "lost gem."

That's right... it's a "found gem".

Nah,It just ain't a gem.

norrie

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:03 am

It ain't lost and it ain't a gem.
It's a nice ballad album track bonus song.

It actually sounds and comes off like a movie song.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:06 am

MaryAnn wrote:For me, it IS a lost gem.

If I hadn't accidentally become a fan due to other circumstances, I never would have found it -- and it is one of my very favorite Elvis songs.

Wow. If I compiled 100 of the finest Elvis Presley studio recordings, "Mine" would not be there.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:10 am

Amazingly, people can listen to a song and appreciate it for what it is.

They don't think about if it should have been released as a single, would have been better as a filler on a soundtrack album, or some bonus track.

Elvis liked it enough to perform it beautifully -- and I like it. If the song speaks to a person, it is a gem.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:15 am

MaryAnn wrote:If the song speaks to a person, it is a gem.

Some people just don't get it, Mary Ann... and they never will. For you and ElvisTheKid it's a gem and that's all that matters.