Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Renaming Memphis Airport 'ELVIS PRESLEY INTERNATIONAL AIRPOR

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 am

pretty cool! Lets vote Elvis Fans!

::rocks

Memphis City Council: Renaming Memphis Airport 'ELVIS PRESLEY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT'

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/t ... al-airport

Re: Renaming Memphis Airport 'ELVIS PRESLEY INTERNATIONAL AI

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:20 am

As much as we would love to see this happen people have been trying to get the name changed for years but to no avail.Apparently those in charge refuse to do it because Elvis was not the only major artist to come out of Memphis.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:44 am

Gary1 wrote:As much as we would love to see this happen people have been trying to get the name changed for years but to no avail.Apparently those in charge refuse to do it because Elvis was not the only major artist to come out of Memphis.

There was Elvis and then everyone else. No one comes close to Elvis for generating publicity and income to Memphis

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:17 pm

steve in SC wrote:
Gary1 wrote:As much as we would love to see this happen people have been trying to get the name changed for years but to no avail.Apparently those in charge refuse to do it because Elvis was not the only major artist to come out of Memphis.

There was Elvis and then everyone else. No one comes close to Elvis for generating publicity and income to Memphis
I agree with you.I'm just saying what their reasons for changing the name of the airport is I didn't say I agreed with them.I've signed numerous petitions about this but that is the reason they always come back with for not changing the name.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:28 pm

They won't do that.

It's not like he was as famous as John Lennon, is it ?

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:49 pm

Apparently one of the problems is that Memphis is more than 50% black, so naming the airport after Elvis might be perceived as a failure to represent majority interests. "Three Kings Airport" was a suggestion, wasn't it, in recognition of Elvis, BB, and Dr Martin Luther King who was killed in Memphis. Seems quite a good idea to me.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:13 pm

chris j wrote:"Three Kings Airport" was a suggestion, wasn't it, in recognition of Elvis, BB, and Dr Martin Luther King who was killed in Memphis. Seems quite a good idea to me.

I like that idea :D

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:54 pm

It's deserving and in my own opinion, needed. But the powers that be in Memphis don't think that way. It really pisses me off too at how the minorities (blacks) there treat Elvis and act as if he's just some random guy. They would rather us "Elvis freaks" as they label us, to stop going to their city and just disappear for good. But if that were to ever happen, they would be worse off than they are now with us "freaks" spending money in their economy. Memphis is one of the poorest cities in America.

As Lennon once said, before Elvis there was nothing. I'd like to make that, "before Elvis and without Elvis, Memphis would be nothing".

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:01 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:It's deserving and in my own opinion, needed. But the powers that be in Memphis don't think that way. It really pisses me off too at how the minorities (blacks) there treat Elvis and act as if he's just some random guy. They would rather us "Elvis freaks" as they label us, to stop going to their city and just disappear for good. But if that were to ever happen, they would be worse off than they are now with us "freaks" spending money in their economy. Memphis is one of the poorest cities in America.

As Lennon once said, before Elvis there was nothing. I'd like to make that, "before Elvis and without Elvis, Memphis would be nothing".

Brilliant statement!

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:45 pm

steve in SC wrote:

I vote for "Justin Timberlake International Airport & cafe".

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:14 pm

Unfortunately, don't see it happening. The city doesn't want to be known just for Elvis and some think it would probably be a very controversial move for Memphis, given Elvis' past.

Not sure what company, might have been a healthcare or pharmaceutical company had the picture with Elvis and Nixon on billboards. What were they thinking choosing that photo? In some areas, due to a strongly negative public backlash they had to be removed. All this did was bring up discussions about Elvis and drugs, Elvis fans are freaks, Nuttiest Elvis Fans callers talked about meeting and not wanting anything to do with a company associated with Elvis.

As for renaming Memphis Airport, if the people around there are not in favor of the idea, it's not going to happen.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 pm

chris j wrote:Apparently one of the problems is that Memphis is more than 50% black, so naming the airport after Elvis might be perceived as a failure to represent majority interests. "Three Kings Airport" was a suggestion, wasn't it, in recognition of Elvis, BB, and Dr Martin Luther King who was killed in Memphis. Seems quite a good idea to me.

Hey, how 'bout "Four Kings Airport"? - Elvis, B.B. King, Martin Luther King Jr., and Jerry Lawler. :roll:

SuspiciousMind, what's your source of information for writing the following? -
jurasic1968 wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:... It really pisses me off too at how the minorities (blacks) there treat Elvis and act as if he's just some random guy.
They would rather us "Elvis freaks" as they label us, to stop going to their city and just disappear for good.

Brilliant statement!

:shock: Brilliant statement? Oh, really?

Start at the 0:34 mark - Memphis Mayor A.C. Wharton, January 8, 2013
phpBB [video]

Start at the 3:40 mark - Memphis Mayor A.C. Wharton, January 8, 2012
phpBB [video]

Start at the 2:30 mark - Memphis Mayor A.C. Wharton, January 8, 2011
phpBB [video]

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:20 pm

Suspicious Mind wrote: As Lennon once said, before Elvis there was nothing. I'd like to make that, "before Elvis and without Elvis, Memphis would be nothing".

I liked that quote very much.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:22 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Suspicious Mind wrote: As Lennon once said, before Elvis there was nothing. I'd like to make that, "before Elvis and without Elvis, Memphis would be nothing".

I liked that quote very much.

:D

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59 pm

Don't ever recall seeing or reading about Memphis Mayor A.C. Wharton saying anything negative about Elvis and/or his fans… all strictly positive comments from Mayor Wharton. But saw a few news clips of Memphis City Council members at City Hall press conference being questioned about renaming Memphis Airport... although nothing negative was said about considering Elvis, didn't see anyone excited about it either. They spent more time talking about renaming it after Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. I believe the Council Members know it's not a popular choice with voters renaming airport after Elvis and they are not going to push for it.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:21 am

EPA4368 wrote:Don't ever recall seeing or reading about Memphis Mayor A.C. Wharton saying anything negative about Elvis and/or his fans… all strictly positive comments from Mayor Wharton. But saw a few news clips of Memphis City Council members at City Hall press conference being questioned about renaming Memphis Airport... although nothing negative was said about considering Elvis, didn't see anyone excited about it either. They spent more time talking about renaming it after Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. I believe the Council Members know it's not a popular choice with voters renaming airport after Elvis and they are not going to push for it.

It's not the leaders who have a problem with Elvis or his fans. They understand the importance and the impact on their city when we go there and spend money there. It's the naive rap loving teenage crowd who thinks the rap stars are more important than some "dead fat racist white man". That's how they view him there, too. And they see us as racist for loving him.