Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Edited vs Uncut Masters-Which are better?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:00 pm

For many years before the rise of FTD, I used to to hate the 'fade-outs' on so many of the masters and always wondered what I was missing. Now that we have lots of complete takes via the Collector Label or Import, I realize that in most cases RCA was correct in fading out the masters since the complete takes either ended abruptly (eg T-R-O-U-B-L-E) or Elvis repeated the chorus over and over almost to a point of boredom (eg Pledging My Love).
Some songs in my opinion could have benefited from 30-45 seconds of extension (eg Stranger In The Crowd/Shakin'/Moody Blue) while others were faded correctly (eg Blue Eyes Crying/For The Heart/Sound of Your Cry/Don't Think Twice).
In any respect, to this day I still prefer songs with concrete ends. Perhaps this is why I chose to listen more often to the live versions of Elvis hits for so many years even though most of the studio versions were superior performances.
Which songs do you think would have been more enjoyable with extended endings?
Lucio

Re: Edited vs Uncut Masters-Which are better?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:02 pm

lucio wrote:Which songs do you think would have been more enjoyable with extended endings?
Lucio

In my opinion songs like "Susan When She Tried" and "Talk About The Good Times" was way too short and Im very happy that the complete
masters are now available in great sound quality.Also "Thinking About You" should be longer on PL album.
I love "Stranger In The Crowd" and I think it was faded at the right time but great to have the complete version as well :)

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:08 pm

Sound Of Your Cry needed to be faded as EP goes off the track soon after they faded it. I think RCA did it about right. For commercial reasons, when these songs were first released, it was probably correct to fade them. Now, catering to a collector base, they're giving us some of the complete tracks, which can be interesting.

I do think, as an album cut on a short album, RCA could have included the long version of "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues," on the original Good Times album.

There are alternate masters of Echoes Of Love, one with a fade and one with a hard ending. They went with the concrete ending but both are outstanding.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:12 pm

KingElvis wrote:
lucio wrote:Which songs do you think would have been more enjoyable with extended endings?
Lucio

In my opinion songs like "Susan When She Tried" and "Talk About The Good Times" was way too short and Im very happy that the complete
masters are now available in great sound quality.Also "Thinking About You" should be longer on PL album.
I love "Stranger In The Crowd" and I think it was faded at the right time but great to have the complete version as well :)

I know a lot of people like "Thinking About You," but for me this slight song was plenty long enough when Promised Land debuted.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:23 pm

Merry Christmas Baby. I always wanted to know what happened after the fade, and we found out eventually on "Memories of Christmas".
I think the fade was probably about perfect for commercial release but I was glad to hear more.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:53 am

lucio wrote: Which songs do you think would have been more enjoyable with extended endings?

"Three Corn Patches" and "Fairytale"... no really, I'm serious. Please stop laughing!