Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Mike Kelina on Pittsburgh '76

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:28 am

It's reported that Mike Kelina, a then 34-years old music writer, wrote an article for the 'Pittsburgh Post-Gazette' named "Elvis Rings In '77 At the Civic Arena". Was he the same 'Mike Kelina' who comitted suicide in January 1992?

Re: Mike Kelina on Pittsburgh '76

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:39 am

I think he was... it's Kalina btw:

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/08/us/pi ... all&src=pm

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:40 am

Joern wrote:It's reported that Mike Kelina, a then 34-years old music writer, wrote an article for the 'Pittsburgh Post-Gazette' named "Elvis Rings In '77 At the Civic Arena". Was he the same 'Mike Kelina' who comitted suicide in January 1992?

Years ago, I inquired the archives of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about a copy of this review and they kindly mailed me a photocopy of it. Somewhere I have that photocopy of Kalina's review of Elvis' show. If I remember correctly, right beside it was the TV listings for that day.
Last edited by Daryl on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Daryl wrote:
Joern wrote:It's reported that Mike Kelina, a then 34-years old music writer, wrote an article for the 'Pittsburgh Post-Gazette' named "Elvis Rings In '77 At the Civic Arena". Was he the same 'Mike Kelina' who comitted suicide in January 1992?

Years ago, I inquired the archives of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about a copy of this review and they kindly mailed me a photocopy of it. Somewhere I have that photocopy of Kelina's review of Elvis' show. If I remember correctly, right beside it was the TV listings for that day.

I got a link for that article today in the Google archives and must admit that your memory works well. The TV listings are on the same page.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Joern wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Years ago, I inquired the archives of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about a copy of this review and they kindly mailed me a photocopy of it. Somewhere I have that photocopy of Kelina's review of Elvis' show. If I remember correctly, right beside it was the TV listings for that day.

I got a link for that article today in the Google archives and must admit that your memory works well. The TV listings are on the same page.

Could one of you please post it here?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:05 pm

Tony.. wrote:
Joern wrote:I got a link for that article today in the Google archives and must admit that your memory works well. The TV listings are on the same page.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/music/elvis-played-pittsburgh-on-a-new-years-eve-months-before-death-497436/

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:08 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
Joern wrote:I got a link for that article today in the Google archives and must admit that your memory works well. The TV listings are on the same page.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/music/elvis-played-pittsburgh-on-a-new-years-eve-months-before-death-497436/

In the words of Karlos...TY. :smt002

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 pm

Here's my copy of Mike Kalina's honest look at the famous Pittsburgh '76 performance:

770103_Pittsburgh Post-Gazette p24.JPG
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Monday, January 3, 1977
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:07 am

Besides his later career as the "Travelin' Gourmet" food critic, in December 1972 Kalina issued a "cut-in" single in support of the Pittsburgh Steelers run to Super Bowl VII.

phpBB [video]

With Mike Kalina & Friends, "Steelers '72" (Fox Records, December 1972)

Unfortunately, it was not enough, as the team fell a game short, losing to the Miami Dolphins in the AFC Championship game on December 31.

The Dolphins would complete a perfect season, 17-0, by winning Super Bowl VII in Los Angeles on January 14, 1973, the same day as the "Aloha From Hawaii" performance. To date it is the only perfect season in the history of the NFL. Pittsburgh would nab its first Super Bowl trophy two years later.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Here's my copy of Mike Kalina's honest look at the famous Pittsburgh '76 performance:

This really is one of the most all-around accurate reviews of later Elvis ever written. Kalina obviously stayed for the entire show, and gave credit where it was due. Unlike many of his contemporaries, he saw beyond the carnival atmosphere and conveyed his appreciation of the music and the talent on the stage.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:56 am

elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

This really is one of the most all-around accurate reviews of later Elvis ever written. Kalina obviously stayed for the entire show, and gave credit where it was due. Unlike many of his contemporaries, he saw beyond the carnival atmosphere and conveyed his appreciation of the music and the talent on the stage.

Totally agree. I'm just glad he didn't see Elvis in Omaha or Rapid City six months later.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:46 am

After the horrible year he had (in 1976) and the next 6 months to come... I agree, that's a pretty impressive review.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:13 am

Here's a story Kalina did back in July, 1973 about Elvis' appearances in Pittsburgh a few days earlier.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=lQ ... urgh&hl=en

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:48 am

Here are a few other articles Kalina wrote about Elvis:

Review of "A Legendary Performer Vol. 1"

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=L5 ... lina&hl=en

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=oM ... lina&hl=en

"The Sun Sessions" album:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Sk ... lina&hl=en

Here's a year-end review of the acts to perform in Pittsburgh, 1973:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=lM ... lina&hl=en

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:04 pm

One last Elvis note: On last Tuesday afternoon, Elvis went sunbathing in Point Park. Not a soul recognized him.

I find this comment a little unusual for two reasons...
1) Elvis would go sunbathing in a public park in Pittsburgh?
2) Elvis wasn't recognized in July of 1973? And only shortly following the NBC broadcast of Aloha From Hawaii in April... one of the mostly widely watched television events of that year? I mean, who didn't know who Elvis Presley was???
Perhaps I'm missing something...

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:08 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
One last Elvis note: On last Tuesday afternoon, Elvis went sunbathing in Point Park. Not a soul recognized him.

I find this comment a little unusual for two reasons...
1) Elvis would go sunbathing in a public park in Pittsburgh?
2) Elvis wasn't recognized in July of 1973? And only shortly following the NBC broadcast of Aloha From Hawaii in April... one of the mostly widely watched television events of that year? I mean, who didn't know who Elvis Presley was???
Perhaps I'm missing something...

It's actually possible Elvis slipped out to Point State Park prior to his show on Tuesday evening, June 26. It's 36 acres, there could well have been private areas for VIPs to access, and he was rocking a pretty good tan on that tour. It's not like he went to lay out by the Allegheny and Monongahela riverside with a towel and some Coppertone.

Point State Park
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_State_Park

730626_Pittsburgh_Toli.JPG
On stage with Gordy, Tutt, Guercio and Burton, Pittsburgh Arena, Tuesday, June 26, 1973
Photo: Steve Toli | Tan: Elvis Presley
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:18 pm

Below are my copies of Mike Kalina's coverage of Elvis in Pittsburgh on June 25/26, 1973. He saw the show on Monday night, and didn't mince words about the lack of "warmth" from the singer. Still, it's clear Kalina was a fan who cared about the guy causing all the commotion.

A week later he spoke of how Elvis apparently lost one of his tooth caps, flying in a Vegas dentist to help, and went out for shot of sunshine before his second gig on Tuesday. It was a weird year that was only going to get weirder for our hero.

730627_Pittsburgh Post-Gazette p35.JPG
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Wednesday, June 27, 1973

730704_Pittsburgh Post-Gazette p39.JPG
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Wednesday, July 4, 1973