Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Did Carol Kaye Ever Play A Presley Session?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:27 pm

Just curious as Elvis recorded with most of the famous Wrecking Crew in the 60s.

Re: Did Carol Kaye Ever Play A Presley Session?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:45 pm

According to Ernst Jorgenson ,Carol Kaye never did an Elvis session.
She was scheduled to do one but it got cancelled. She did NOT do A Little Less Conversation & Suspicious Minds (as she claimed),

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 pm

There are a number of examples of Carol Kaye's memory of what she played on not matching other people's recollections.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:35 pm

londonflash wrote:Just curious as Elvis recorded with most of the famous Wrecking Crew in the 60s.

Well, for some odd reason Carol Kaye falsely claims to have played on many Presley hits.

Electric Bass Hits
SOME RECORD HITS (from Union contracts, logs) ...

What'd I Say, A Little Less Conversation, Suspicious Minds etc. - Elvis Presley

http://www.carolkaye.com/www/library/basshits.htm

One wonders what Ray Siegel, Larry Knechtel and Mike Leech were doing at those respective sessions, making coffee?

That said, there is apparently documentation Kaye DID tape a post-production bass overdub on "Change Of Habit" (M-601), listed on Universal's Studio's orchestra manager's report for September 3, 1969. This is the only recorded instance of her on a Presley cut.

If you locate a copy of Memphis Tennessee, you'll find the movie take of "Change of Habit":

830000_Memphis Tennessee_Audifon.JPG
Memphis Tennessee (Audifon AFNS 67670, 1983)

You can also hear her bass on the DVD release of "Change of Habit," as the opening titles roll.

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:15 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
londonflash wrote:Just curious as Elvis recorded with most of the famous Wrecking Crew in the 60s.

Well, for some odd reason Carol Kaye falsely claims to have played on many Presley hits.

Electric Bass Hits
SOME RECORD HITS (from Union contracts, logs) ...

What'd I Say, A Little Less Conversation, Suspicious Minds etc. - Elvis Presley

http://www.carolkaye.com/www/library/basshits.htm

One wonders what Ray Siegel, Larry Knechtel and Mike Leech were doing at those respective sessions, making coffee?

That said, there is apparently documentation Kaye DID tape a post-production bass overdub on "Change Of Habit" (M-601), listed on Universal's Studio's orchestra manager's report for September 3, 1969. This is the only recorded instance of her on a Presley cut.

If you locate a copy of Memphis Tennessee, you'll find the movie take of "Change of Habit":

830000_Memphis Tennessee_Audifon.JPG
Memphis Tennessee (Audifon AFNS 67670, 1983)

You can also hear her bass on the DVD release of "Change of Habit," as the opening titles roll.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Doc, great info as always. I understand she has also claimed to have played on a lot of Motown hits (it's thought she actually only played on LP tracks recorded in LA, wheras the hits were cut in Detroit).

Her definite credit list is mighty impressive whatever the dubious claims.

Thank you TJ and Johnny too.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:19 am

I'm posting too much tonight, but it's been interesting. Well, the bass line on "Change of Habit" is excellent; it's a shame she claimed those other songs, especially an American Sound one. That's weird. Thank you, Doc. Good to know who played that bass on that record.

Now, when I went to the October showing in Orange (the film played in L.A. tonight, I believe), they seemed to indicate that the Wrecking Crew WERE indeed "The Corporation" on the J-5's records. There was a bit of a line asking questions, so I didn't ask, and I wasn't sure if I'd get the correct answer, anyway. So does anyone here know if they were, indeed, "The Corporation"?

Or, is it a mixed bag: some of them, and some of others?

rjm

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 pm

No, the Corporation were the writers/producers for the J-5 material, not the session musicians, although Freddie Perren played keyboards on some of the big ones. Don Peake and Louie Shelton were Wrecking Crew guitarists who were on the J-5 hits. I imagine there were others.
Last edited by TJ on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:03 pm

I've never been able to tell the difference between the master of "Change of Habit" and the version that is on the LP that 'the doc' posted a picture of. I always assumed it was just the same take from an acetate?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:25 pm

Carol Kaye has made many false claims...most notably claiming that she was the bassist on many of the Motown hits when clearly it was the great James Jamerson.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:12 pm

nyelvfan wrote:Carol Kaye has made many false claims...most notably claiming that she was the bassist on many of the Motown hits when clearly it was the great James Jamerson.

She did play the iconic intros on "Witchita Lineman" and "Galveston" though. And what Elvis songs did Glen Campbell REALLY play guitar on? Varying session books list different songs at various sessions. And a recent G.C. documentary said that he played the guitar licks on the song "Viva Las Vegas".

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:03 am

I was playing Galveston whilst washing up about ten minutes ago, cos I'm rock 'n' roll like that.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:08 am

londonflash wrote:I was playing Galveston whilst washing up about ten minutes ago, cos I'm rock 'n' roll like that.

I was playing it too!!! It's an anti-Vietnam war song apparantly.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:11 am

londonflash wrote:Thanks Doc, great info as always. I understand she has also claimed to have played on a lot of Motown hits (it's thought she actually only played on LP tracks recorded in LA, wheras the hits were cut in Detroit).

Her definite credit list is mighty impressive whatever the dubious claims.

You're welcome. It's just so strange Kaye feels the need to make those claims.

Click this link to hear Carol Kaye's bass overdubs on 1969's "Change of Habit" -->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHLm4qB6Weg#t=1m16s

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:32 am

Tony.. wrote:
londonflash wrote:I was playing Galveston whilst washing up about ten minutes ago, cos I'm rock 'n' roll like that.

I was playing it too!!! It's an anti-Vietnam war song apparantly.

Not necessarily as written ("canons flashing"); certainly as interpreted (during the time of its release). As I understand it, the conflict was a much earlier one, but Webb certainly intended it as an anti-war song during the time of the Vietnam war, and used the Spanish-American war as a literary device to convey the anguish of the soldier. But yes, it is most certainly an anti-war song. Campbell didn't necessarily wish to convey that meaning (but it happened whether he liked it or not).

rjm

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:27 am

Glen Campbell + lager and shots before you've had that last too many = one happy man.