Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"Don't Think Twice, It's All Right"

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:26 am

I really dig Elvis version despite he apparently doesnt know the lyrics very well......cant stand Dylan`s voice :oops: so havent heard that one.
Playing the take2 (11:20) that was released for the first time on Fool_Ftd and I find it very poor compared to the complete master (9:20)that was on
the Now_Ftd,......strange that the IMO poor version was recorded AFTER the superior master take 1 :shock:
I guess most fans dont like the long versions as the lyrics are repeated over and over again but the original 2:40 is way too short.
Anyway made a edit of the "Our Memories Of Elvis" version that runs for 5 minutes and thats the one I usually play......and Burton really shines on guitar :smt007

TAKE 1:
phpBB [video]

TAKE 2:
phpBB [video]

Original Master
phpBB [video]

Re: "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right"

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:51 am

I cannot get over the lifetime of comments I've heard/read about Bob's voice. Granted, it's pretty much gone now, but in earlier times, I think he was just fantastic as a singer. Maybe not pretty, but he got his message across. And there are many who've come along since that sound much worse.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:04 am

Lonely Summer wrote:I cannot get over the lifetime of comments I've heard/read about Bob's voice. Granted, it's pretty much gone now, but in earlier times, I think he was just fantastic as a singer. Maybe not pretty, but he got his message across. And there are many who've come along since that sound much worse.

Yeah, just when I was all mad at Bob, too: now I'll defend him. First of all, many people who "can't stand his voice" have only heard a bit of it. If you go through the catalog, there's much to discover! (I would have posted the outtake to "Every Grain of Sand," but "Web Sheriff" took it down, bespoiling my account. :twisted: ) But there are many fine vocals, and he worked with quite a few different vocal styles. There's one called "I Just Can't Leave Her Behind," sung in a little place in a hotel somewhere, Scotland, Spain, I don't remember. Anyway, it's his "real" voice. Nice sweet high tenor.

phpBB [video]

And there are other ones with different vocal styles. He wasn't just Kristofferson. He had something special going there. Now, it sounds like his voice is truly injured. Seriously.

As to Elvis's version(s), I think he sang whatever lyrics he felt like singing. It's easy to forget lyrics that you never wanted to sing in the first place, is the way I look at it.

This verse was from a suggestion to Bob; don't think Elvis would have touched it:

"I once loved a woman, a child I'm told/
I gave her my heart, but she wanted my soul"

rjm

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:35 am

Lonely Summer wrote:I cannot get over the lifetime of comments I've heard/read about Bob's voice. Granted, it's pretty much gone now, but in earlier times, I think he was just fantastic as a singer. Maybe not pretty, but he got his message across. And there are many who've come along since that sound much worse.

Agree 100%.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:43 am

quite simply a legend

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:I cannot get over the lifetime of comments I've heard/read about Bob's voice. Granted, it's pretty much gone now, but in earlier times, I think he was just fantastic as a singer.

I fully respect others who like him....he has written some really great songs.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:05 pm

His voice has grown on me over the years. At his best he could draw you in and make you connect with the material - his own recording of 'Don't Think Twice, It's All Right' is actually a good example of that.

He has no voice at all now.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:18 pm

Count me in as one who enjoys Dylan's singing.
Last edited by WildStyle on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:42 pm

WildStyle wrote:Count me in as one who enjoy's Dylan's singing.

For me, his strength lies in his songwriting.

Other singers often do a better job of singing his songs than when he does them himself.

Rather like Chuck Berry............

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:08 pm

Lousy voice by normal standards, but that can be applied to many great blues singers as well. I love it though, even now when its pretty much shot.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:24 pm

great post.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:10 pm

Thanks to Lonely Summer, rjm, The Doc, keninlincs, etc. for their constructive comments on Dylan's unfairly maligned voice.

For me, Dylan's August 1963 studio version of Moonshiner says it all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RiZhejroXU
He didn't write it; he just sings it. (Sound familiar?) But I can't believe that anyone with ears to hear could listen to this and fail to be moved by it.

If this isn't good singing, then I don't know what is. (This being an Elvis forum, I should have some idea!)

To misquote a 1965 marketing CBS/Columbia marketing campaign: No-one sang Dylan like Dylan.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:34 pm

ColinB wrote:
WildStyle wrote:Count me in as one who enjoy's Dylan's singing.

For me, his strength lies in his songwriting.

Other singers often do a better job of singing his songs than when he does them himself.

Rather like Chuck Berry............

I disagree with that, too. There are many good versions of Berry classics, but the only one I've heard that surpasses the original is Elvis' Promised Land.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:21 pm

Bob Dylan's songwriting is outstanding and he's a great vocalist. He may not have the prettiest voice in the world, but that's not what he's all about. His voice can express some unbelievable deep emotions and his phrasings are fabulous. I think Desire from 1975 is almost equal in quality to From Elvis in Memphis.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:40 pm

NumberEight wrote:

For me, Dylan's August 1963 studio version of Moonshiner says it all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RiZhejroXU
He didn't write it; he just sings it. (Sound familiar?) But I can't believe that anyone with ears to hear could listen to this and fail to be moved by it.

If this isn't good singing, then I don't know what is. (This being an Elvis forum, I should have some idea!)
[/b].

Heard it now but for me this was just boring :roll:
Never heard of a song that EVERYBODY likes anyway :)

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:52 am

The best edited version of "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" is on the 1995 70's box set Walk A Mile In My Shoes, imo.

It's 4 minutes long (if I'm not mistaken)... not too short... not too long.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:33 pm

Blue River wrote:The best edited version of "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" is on the 1995 70's box set Walk A Mile In My Shoes, imo.

It's 4 minutes long (if I'm not mistaken)... not too short... not too long.

I don`t like when a song is faded in.