Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

norrie
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Re: 2 new ftd books

Post by norrie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
norrie wrote:The CD's in A Boy From Tupelo did turn out to more than just a bonus but the book was still the major reason to purchase it.
Correct.

Most are aware Ernst did not spend over ten years and a lot of personal time and expense on the CDs included with A Boy From Tupelo.
Thanks Doc and the proof is in the pudding.The time and effort that Ernst put into the book is there in each and every page.

norrie

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by sweetangeline »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Most are aware Ernst did not spend over ten years and a lot of personal time and expense on the CDs included with A Boy From Tupelo.
and quite simply one of the best FTD products of all time, crank the cd`s up and relax with the book, "one of the things you must do before you die" enough said.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Matthew wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:No dvd = no chance i goin to buy summer of '61. for 60$ a book + cd + something unreleased (dvd) is ok but a book + cd is a no goer
The book is the main event.
Not for me, If i spend 60$ and could have a cd & dvd with it, then i think its worthwhile to spend 60. But for a book & cd i find it a bit to expensive.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by ekenee »

norrie wrote:The CD's in A Boy From Tupelo did turn out to more than just a bonus but the book was still the major reason to purchase it.
A Boy From Tupelo was a bit of a one off anyway,an FTD release that wasn't really an FTD release.

norrie
Yeah, I knew they would. I couldn't imagine the Book without the cd's.
You needed both to tell the story proper.
Why isn't the book in the mainstream?
That's what I ask myself.

James27

Post by James27 »

Whether or not a book within a book-cd combo ultimately is the main event is for each individual customer to decide. A certain project can be meant to be perceived by the record company as such or such, but the final word is always up to the individual buyer.

Some people don't care about books and bought the Boy From Tupelo set for the cd's only. Others are not particularly interested in music they for the most part already have. And still others, the largest group I presume which includes me, is very much interested in both. But I wouldn't conclude that this group per definition sees the book as the main event of the two elements: music and visuals.

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

davide wrote: I am sorry to say, that for clearance and various other reasons, there won't now be a DVD included with the Summer of '61 book/CD.
So how much is the price being reduced by?

Steelback
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by Steelback »

Shame about the DVD but I'm still interested. I enjoyed the two 1960 books, despite the various technical problems.
In fact it's the HMV book I'm having second thoughts about. If its an interesting, enjoyable read I'm in, but if its more of a dry reference book aimed at collectors of early vinyl its probably not really for me.

svallen

Post by svallen »

If you see the Whole thing that FTD has released from the beginning and all that is gonna be released as a Whole.
It is the biggest Music Collection ever sold in history.
So if you dont buy it all you will not be the owner of the biggest musiccollection ever released. :smt003 :smt006 :smt007

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The Pirate wrote:
davide wrote: I am sorry to say, that for clearance and various other reasons, there won't now be a DVD included with the Summer of '61 book/CD.
What price is there to reduce? Pricing does not appear to have been released yet.

garry100

Post by garry100 »

Having a quick look I see that

Essential Elvis have priced the Summer of '61 book at £49.99+ £10.00pp which for what it's worth is the same price as From Memphis To Hollywood book.
http://www.essentialelvis.com/offers-books.php

The Elvis Shop has priced TBA
https://www.theelvisshoplondon.com/index.php

While Now Dig This are advertising the HMV book but not the Summer of 61 book...for whatever reason there holding back on that one.
https://www.nowdigthismagazine.co.uk/shop/books.html

Never say never

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thanks. I could not find it on Now Dig This and on The Elvis Shop London it said TBA as you note.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Matthew wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
What price is there to reduce? Pricing does not appear to have been released yet.
It was a question to which I admit I will never know the answer, but I suspect that a price has already been decided on, and it would be interesting to know whether any adjustments will now be made behind the scenes. Really, the announcement shouldn't have been made about the DVD without checking basic things such as whether they were allowed to use the footage in the first place.

garry100

Post by garry100 »

the announcement shouldn't have been made about the DVD without checking basic things such as whether they were allowed to use the footage in the first place.

I agree that all details should have been ironed out before any announcements were made. The excitement generated by the news of a DVD has now been replaced by some real disappointment. Other things that should have been confirmed are the contents of the CD...by just stating in the blub that "detail about the accompanying disc will be provided as soon as possible" Is that really good enough? and considering that behinge the scenes the DVD contents still had'nt gotten clearance. This is turning out to be a bit of a shambles to say the least.

Never say never

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

garry100 wrote:This is turning out to be a bit of a shambles to say the least.
"Shambles" might be a bit overboard, but sadly it's the kind of thing which is becoming the norm with the majority of the FTD book range. The CDs, in particular the Classic Albums, are enormous fun, and taken as a whole the series has been a magnificent success, but whenever I see an announcement about yet another book I'm afraid I immediately expect to be disappointed.

nod3million
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by nod3million »

The 61 book and the botched announcment of the dvd and no tracklisting cd seem to have delay written all over it. It doesnt seem to be ready at all. Why was it announced if it was still a work in progress, if the dvd wasnt cleared etc. Does anyone know why the dvd is not cleared to be released?

r&b

Post by r&b »

Such is life in the Elvis world

bajo

Post by bajo »

FTD: "Here today, gone tomorrow...or something like that". I really can't see any problem with these kind of releases! It's there if YOU want it. If not, well....... It's almost like a bootleg, "if you REALLY want it"... 8)

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

garry100 wrote:I agree that all details should have been ironed out before any announcements were made. The excitement generated by the news of a DVD has now been replaced by some real disappointment. Other things that should have been confirmed are the contents of the CD...by just stating in the blub that "detail about the accompanying disc will be provided as soon as possible" Is that really good enough? and considering that behinge the scenes the DVD contents still had'nt gotten clearance. This is turning out to be a bit of a shambles to say the least.
Cut out the bs, please.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

E-1
Banned - Multiple User Names

Post by E-1 »

What bs, the information is on the back cover of the book? As presented on this web site under the SONY NEWS. That information can be read by anyone. If it has changed for whatever reason, there should be an explanation, and they should not just release pictures depicting what’s on or in it, and expect no flack! If they announce a change to what’s happening.

But common sense seems to elude you on certain topics, but that’s you through and trough.

Believe in yourself not some jumped up fool, who thinks he’s better than you.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I'm not really bothered about the whole DVD thing, the actual announcement never mentioned it. Was the leaked cover-art an official doing or did someone get it out there when they shouldn't have? Anyway - the design looks rather nifty.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

nod3million wrote:The 61 book and the botched announcment of the dvd and no tracklisting cd seem to have delay written all over it. It doesnt seem to be ready at all. Why was it announced if it was still a work in progress, if the dvd wasnt cleared etc. Does anyone know why the dvd is not cleared to be released?
I say MGM is at fault for FTD not allowed to release the footage.
After all its screentest footage of Follow that dream, which is from MGM

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

drjohncarpenter

E-1 wrote:What bs, the information is on the back cover of the book? As presented on this web site under the SONY NEWS. That information can be read by anyone. If it has changed for whatever reason, there should be an explanation, and they should not just release pictures depicting what’s on or in it, and expect no flack! If they announce a change to what’s happening.

But common sense seems to elude you on certain topics, but that’s you through and trough.
The release date on FECC's "Sony News" page is noted as April 2013, and if one looks very carefully at the Summer of '61 cover art, it is clearly a mock-up, not the final design. FECC is getting a "sneak peek" at the product because their hard core members understand the development process.

The page also includes the following, which most are able to read and assimilate:

The book presents original newspaper articles, new exclusive interviews from the cast, the crew, and local residents, and also details about scenes deleted from the final print. The book includes over 200 stunning unpublished photos taken from the original negatives + a CD (detail about the accompanying disc will be provided as soon as possible).
Update January 29, 2013
As may be seen, no "official DVD announcement" was made. That said, there will be some intriguing tracks on the CD.

At the end of the day, Summer of '61 will be an essential purchase for the serious Presley collector.

No bs! ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

E-1

Post by E-1 »

No Doc your right and the worlds wrong again, you carry on with your BORG terminology. The facts are its there for all to read, mock up or not, I did not hear of any one saying it wasn't a mock up of the cover, but it was still put on there, as the thought must have been there at the start, or at least at the MOCK UP STAGE.
And to be released to people to post! So yes sloppy in that instance.

Yes the page does have that little bit of text, again forwarded from FTD/Producers, but that does not take away the FACT its there. Unlike your post you don't want seen, it’s not just deleted from view. If it’s a mistake it’s a mistake, these things happen and yes Doc they don’t always just get deleted from view.

Your final point the Summer of '61 book will be an essential purchase for the serious Presley collector. Again you are wrong, it is only essential if you want it and can afford it. If the book holds no interest for a serious Presley collector, then it’s far from essential.

But once again before you flap your wings too hard I will be getting it DVD or NO DVD, and was getting it before, I along with everyone else saw the back cover, the DVD was only ever going to be a BONUS addition and hopefully in the not to distant future we will see it.

So you can step down from that oh so high horse now.

Believe in yourself not some jumped up fool, who thinks he’s better than you.

r&b

Post by r&b »

garry100 wrote:
the announcement shouldn't have been made about the DVD without checking basic things such as whether they were allowed to use the footage in the first place.

I agree that all details should have been ironed out before any announcements were made. The excitement generated by the news of a DVD has now been replaced by some real disappointment. Other things that should have been confirmed are the contents of the CD...by just stating in the blub that "detail about the accompanying disc will be provided as soon as possible" Is that really good enough? and considering that behinge the scenes the DVD contents still had'nt gotten clearance. This is turning out to be a bit of a shambles to say the least.

Excitement? I will be excited when a real DVD project is announced for real and it has a website and info about it. Until then, its all a yawn. No longer care about a book or another outtake CD either, so the whole thing was about a exciting as Clambake.

drjohncarpenter

E-1 wrote:Your final point the Summer of '61 book will be an essential purchase for the serious Presley collector. Again you are wrong ...
Am I?

:lol:

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.