Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:In the mid '50's Elvis was regarded as the best white blues singer. Elvis indruduced the blues to countless people, myself included. George Harrison once said that Elvis had a great blues voice.

I notice from the list that Chuck Berry has been inducted, I have never thought of him as being a blues singer?

Yeah, that's interesting. Chuck is known for his great rock 'n' roll records, but he also cut some great blues sides like Wee Wee Hours, Blues for Hawaiians, Things I Used to Do....so I'd say if Berry belongs in the blues hall, so does Elvis. I see Fats Domino's name in that list, too, and I don't think of him as a bluesman.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:37 pm

Ray Charles is what the blues is all about. None of these other 50's guys came close to that.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:42 pm

r&b wrote:Ray Charles is what the blues is all about. None of these other 50's guys came close to that.

I don't even think of Ray as a pure bluesman. He was all over the map musicially - jazz, rhythm and blues, country and western, pop, hard to confine him to any one genre. A bit like a certain guy from Tupelo.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:56 pm

brian wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
brian wrote:Despite having a track record of introducing the blues to many musician's and helping increase the popularity of it...

I'm sorry, he did what?

My question is... and is probably more appropriate... when will Elvis be inducted into Cooperstown???

You being sarcastic is unappreciated and it isn't a stretch at all to say Elvis should be inducted.

Also you should know about Elvis' contributions to the popularity of blues music since you are a die hard fan.

For instance Robert Plant has said that after hearing Elvis sing ''Hound dog'' and ''One night'' he later went and got the original versions by Big Mama Thorton and Smiley Lewis.

So Elvis did introduce Robert Plant and others to blues music and that helped increase the awareness of it among the white audiences.

As i said to Matthew you don't have to be the most influential artist to be inducted into a music hall of fame.

You should know that.

First of all... relax, I was kidding around. Second of all, I would disagree that Elvis should be inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame. While he did record what some would consider Blues songs, he was not a blues artist. Also, Elvis' versions of Hound Dog and One Night are not Blues... because someone decided to track down the original recordings does not make Elvis an influence with regard to Blues... that would be BMT and SL.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:14 am

elvis-fan wrote:
brian wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
brian wrote:Despite having a track record of introducing the blues to many musician's and helping increase the popularity of it...

I'm sorry, he did what?

My question is... and is probably more appropriate... when will Elvis be inducted into Cooperstown???

You being sarcastic is unappreciated and it isn't a stretch at all to say Elvis should be inducted.

Also you should know about Elvis' contributions to the popularity of blues music since you are a die hard fan.

For instance Robert Plant has said that after hearing Elvis sing ''Hound dog'' and ''One night'' he later went and got the original versions by Big Mama Thorton and Smiley Lewis.

So Elvis did introduce Robert Plant and others to blues music and that helped increase the awareness of it among the white audiences.

As i said to Matthew you don't have to be the most influential artist to be inducted into a music hall of fame.

You should know that.

First of all... relax, I was kidding around. Second of all, I would disagree that Elvis should be inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame. While he did record what some would consider Blues songs, he was not a blues artist. Also, Elvis' versions of Hound Dog and One Night are not Blues... because someone decided to track down the original recordings does not make Elvis an influence with regard to Blues... that would be BMT and SL.

If it wasn't for Elvis' recording those songs those future artists never would have tracked down the originals in the first place.

That's the whole point he contributed to the popularity of those artists and to Blues music by doing that.

That is helping the genre and that is a contribution.

He was also a great blues singer and he did record some blues.

You don't have to be strictly a blues artist to be inducted as they have inductees that aren't.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:15 am

Yep - Bo Diddley is on their hall, and although he did many great blues tracks, he is mostly remembered for his pioneering contributions to rock 'n' roll. Ditto for Fats Domino and Chuck Berry.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:22 am

It's a travesty.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:30 am

Matthew wrote:It's a travesty.

But ... is it a snub?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:56 am

What really surprised me is that Elvis made it into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame. I assumed that honor was reserved for full time gospel singers (is Johnny Cash in it?), and that their lives had to be spotless. Considering all the stuff that has been said about Elvis and his drug addiction, womanising, etc, I would've thought the Christian music biz would wanna stay as far away from Elvis as possible. I'm not endorsing that attitude - there are plenty of full-time gospel singers with scandal in their personal lives; but the church tends to disown their wounded, rather than try to help them.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:20 am

Lonely Summer wrote: but the church tends to disown their wounded, rather than try to help them.

Aha, right.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:26 am

brian wrote:
robg wrote:your on a loosing battle with Matthew, he is very blinkered in his view on everything.

This is what i hate about FECC is when you try to to have a serious discussion about something some individual comes on here and makes a comment such as this.

I think i debated Matthew rather well and and for robg to just dimiss it like that is rather disturbing.

But I've got a blinkered view and i'm crazy for thinking Elvis should be in the blues hall of fame according to the genius poster named robg :roll:

If you don't think Elvis should be in the Blues hall of fame fine but good grief.

Um, wasn't rob siding with you and calling Matthew's view "blinkered"?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:28 am

Who knows, you never can tell what MrsG's going to do next.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:34 am

brian, I don't agree with you.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:51 am

TJ wrote:
brian wrote:
robg wrote:your on a loosing battle with Matthew, he is very blinkered in his view on everything.

This is what i hate about FECC is when you try to to have a serious discussion about something some individual comes on here and makes a comment such as this.

I think i debated Matthew rather well and and for robg to just dimiss it like that is rather disturbing.

But I've got a blinkered view and i'm crazy for thinking Elvis should be in the blues hall of fame according to the genius poster named robg :roll:

If you don't think Elvis should be in the Blues hall of fame fine but good grief.

Um, wasn't rob siding with you and calling Matthew's view "blinkered"?

oops i'm sorry i read that wrong.

My apologies to Robg.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 am

Is Elvis in the Balladeer's Hall of Fame ?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:15 pm

Robt wrote:Is Elvis in the Balladeer's Hall of Fame ?

They don't have a balladeer's hall of fame.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:25 pm

They should, and Elvis would be first!

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:40 pm

brian wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

I'm sorry, he did what?

You should know that.

I agree with you Brian, there is a case to be made for inclusion for various reasons, unfortunately at present political reasons will deny Elvis consideration. The unjust racism tag and the stolen music issue are still peddled and believed by some misinformed people. It would take some same major grade A African Americans to promote Elvis for him to get consideration.
Here is a link to an interesting article on Elvis and the blues

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/blues.html

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:47 pm

If only Elvis had done that 1973 blues album.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:24 am

He is in the Rock and Roll hall of fame,the Rockabilly hall of fame,the Country hall of fame and the Gospel hall of fame.These are the genres Elvis had a major influence and impact on and can be considered a seminal artist in these categories and he deserves his place in their illustrious Halls Of Fame but blues i'm not so sure.He cut some cool blues tunes,some of his best material in fact, but not enough to merit a place in their hall of fame IMO.

norrie

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:31 pm

Steve Morse wrote:The biggest injustice of all is not in this, but rather in the lack of 'Grammy' awards (other than for his sacred recordings, of course). There should at least be some posthumous/lifetime award and the Estate should produce a video presentation, perhaps fronted by some luminary from the music world, in order to achieve this. Maybe in 2015.

Elvis received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1971 ("Bing Crosby Award"). Source: http://www.grammy.org/recording-academy ... ime-awards.

Here's an interesting blog entry about Elvis from 2011 on Grammy.com: http://www.grammy.com/news/king-for-a-week