Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 am

In 1980 the Blues foundation started a blues hall of fame and it is considered the major hall for blues singers and blues musicians.

Despite having a track record of introducing the blues to many musician's and helping increase the popularity of it Elvis has continually been stubbed by this organization.

I feel that Elvis should have been inducted at some point during the 1990s or early 2000's and to me it's unfair that he hasn't been.

I believe it's too late to start a campaign to try to get Elvis inducted this year but maybe we can start one this year with an eye toward getting him inducted in 2014.

1. Who is with on this?

2. Do you have any additional thoughts on Elvis being repeatedly snubbed by the Blues foundation blues hall of fame?

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 am

Elvis cut a few great R&B records but c'mon, he was not a bluesman. You think he should stand shoulder-to-shoulder with all the pioneers of blues music? Really?

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:52 am

Elvis cut a few great R&B records but c'mon, he was not a bluesman. You think he should stand shoulder-to-shoulder with all the pioneers of blues music? Really?

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:52 am

brian wrote:In 1980 the Blues foundation started a blues hall of fame and it is considered the major hall for blues singers and blues musicians.

Despite having a track record of introducing the blues to many musician's and helping increase the popularity of it Elvis has continually been stubbed by this organization.

I feel that Elvis should have been inducted at some point during the 1990s or early 2000's and to me it's unfair that he hasn't been.

I believe it's too late to start a campaign to try to get Elvis inducted this year but maybe we can start one this year with an eye toward getting him inducted in 2014.

1. Who is with on this?

2. Do you have any additional thoughts on Elvis being repeatedly snubbed by the Blues foundation blues hall of fame?


So many questions abound, such as:

1. Which blues artists are in the "blues hall of fame"?
2. Which blues artists have been nominated but are not yet inducted?
3. What is the criteria required for nomination?
3. How is a nominated artist selected?
4. What exactly is Elvis Presley's "track record of introducing the blues to many musician's [sic] and helping increase the popularity of it"?

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:09 am

Eric Clapton arguably has contributed more to the field of blues music in his long career and he's not even in the hall of fame yet. Neither the likes of John Mayall, another stable of the mid-60s British blues boom. The question is: should they be in there? They certainly did more for blues music than Elvis did. Right? And what of Jimi Hendrix? Do all these guys qualify?

Elvis.. snubbed..

Hmm.

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:03 pm

Is Chuck Berry in the blues hall of fame?

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:58 pm

The biggest injustice of all is not in this, but rather in the lack of 'Grammy' awards (other than for his sacred recordings, of course).

There should at least be some posthumous/lifetime award and the Estate should produce a video presentation, perhaps fronted by some luminary from the music world, in order to achieve this. Maybe in 2015.

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Is Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi in it yet?

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:44 pm

brian wrote:Despite having a track record of introducing the blues to many musician's and helping increase the popularity of it...

I'm sorry, he did what?

My question is... and is probably more appropriate... when will Elvis be inducted into Cooperstown???

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Elvis cut some nice blues songs but that doesnt warrent HOF membership. He was not associated with that genre. Thats a stretch even for an Elvis fan.

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:44 pm

But I certainly agree on the Grammy point. In fact I think he is woefully undervalued as an artist by any of the awarding groups in the USA who might acknowledge him. You see comparative nobodies receiving loads of awards after a couple of OK years of heavy plugging.

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:00 pm

If Elvis had focused on Blues music he may well have come up with some really outstanding tracks. The blues songs he actually recorded evidence that.
However, he leaned more towards country over blues. The Blues Hall Of Fame inductees are:-
Luther Allison (GEMA), Dave Bartholomew, Chuck Berry, Bobby “Blue” Bland, Bruce Bromberg, Lonnie Brooks, Big Bill Broonzy, Roy Brown, Charles Brown
Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown, Ruth Brown, Paul Butterfield, Gus Cannon and Cannon’s Jug Stompers, Vivian Carter and Jimmy Bracken, Ray Charles
Clifton Chenier, Albert Collins, Robert Cray, Arthur “Big Boy” Crudup, Bo Diddley, Willie Dixon, Fats Domino,Champion Jack Dupree, David “Honeyboy” Edwards
Sleepy John Estes, Lowell Fulson, Buddy Guy, John Hammond, Slim Harpo, Billie Holiday,John Lee Hooker, Lightin’ Hopkins, Big Walter Horton, Son House
Mississippi John Hurt, J. B. Hutto, Little Walter Jacobs, Elmore James, Etta James, Skip James, Dr. John, Robert Johnson, Tommy Johnson, Lonnie Johnson
Eddie “Guitar Slim” Jones, Louis Jordan, B.B. King, Freddy (Freddie) King, Albert King, Denise LaSalle, Leadbelly, J.B. Lenoir, Robert Lockwood Jr,
Percy Mayfield, Jimmy McCracklin, Brownie McGee, Amos Milburn, Sonny Boy Williamson #2, Little Milton, Roy Milton, Charlie Musselwhite, Johnny Otis
Little Junior Parker, Charley Patton, Pinetop Perkins, Jimmy Reed, Jimmy Rogers, Otis Rush, Bobby Rush, Magic Sam, Son Seals, Mississippi Sheiks
Johnny Shines, Memphis Slim, Sunnyland Slim, Otis Spann, Hubert Sumlin, Roosevelt Sykes, Taj Mahal, Hound Dog Taylor, Koko Taylor, Sonny Terry
Irma Thomas, Big Mama Thornton, Ike Turner, Big Joe Turner, T Bone Walker, Dinah Washington, Muddy Waters, Johnny “Guitar” Watson, Junior Wells
Peetie Wheatstraw, Bukka White, Johnny Winter and Howlin’ Wolf.

Not many "white boys" - so, The Rolling Stones, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix have more licence to appear here more than Elvis if they eventually get to the white influence.

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Matthew wrote:Elvis cut a few great R&B records but c'mon, he was not a bluesman. You think he should stand shoulder-to-shoulder with all the pioneers of blues music? Really?


As you know to be in any music hall of fame you don't have to be the most groundbreaking or influential person to be inducted.

There are the great pioneers of the blues in the blues hall of fame and then there are people that weren't as influential that have been inducted.

You really only have to have made a big positive contributution to blues music to be inducted and i think Elvis has done that.

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
brian wrote:Despite having a track record of introducing the blues to many musician's and helping increase the popularity of it...

I'm sorry, he did what?

My question is... and is probably more appropriate... when will Elvis be inducted into Cooperstown???


You being sarcastic is unappreciated and it isn't a stretch at all to say Elvis should be inducted.

Also you should know about Elvis' contributions to the popularity of blues music since you are a die hard fan.

For instance Robert Plant has said that after hearing Elvis sing ''Hound dog'' and ''One night'' he later went and got the original versions by Big Mama Thorton and Smiley Lewis.

So Elvis did introduce Robert Plant and others to blues music and that helped increase the awareness of it among the white audiences.

As i said to Matthew you don't have to be the most influential artist to be inducted into a music hall of fame.

You should know that.

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:38 pm

Are my queries too difficult? ;-)


drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:In 1980 the Blues foundation started a blues hall of fame and it is considered the major hall for blues singers and blues musicians.

Despite having a track record of introducing the blues to many musician's and helping increase the popularity of it Elvis has continually been stubbed by this organization.

I feel that Elvis should have been inducted at some point during the 1990s or early 2000's and to me it's unfair that he hasn't been.

I believe it's too late to start a campaign to try to get Elvis inducted this year but maybe we can start one this year with an eye toward getting him inducted in 2014.

1. Who is with on this?

2. Do you have any additional thoughts on Elvis being repeatedly snubbed by the Blues foundation blues hall of fame?


So many questions abound, such as:

1. Which blues artists are in the "blues hall of fame"?
2. Which blues artists have been nominated but are not yet inducted?
3. What is the criteria required for nomination?
3. How is a nominated artist selected?
4. What exactly is Elvis Presley's "track record of introducing the blues to many musician's [sic] and helping increase the popularity of it"?

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:44 pm

XXXXXX
Last edited by brian on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:52 pm

QUOTES:

Joe Cocker: "ELVIS IS THE GREATEST WHITE BLUES SINGER IN THE WORLD TODAY."

Howlin’ Wolf: When interviewed in 1966, Howlin’ Wolf commented on the white blues singers. He liked Paul Butterfield, he said, also "that other boy - What's his name? Somewhere out in California, that "Hound Dog Number". He was talking about Elvis Presley. But surely Elvis couldn't be considered strictly a blues singer, somebody pointed out. Maybe not, conceded Wolf in the great hoarse growl of his, but "he started from the blues. If he stopped, he stopped. It's nothing to laugh at. He made his pull from the blues."

Little Richard: "He was an integrator, Elvis was a blessing. They wouldn't let black music through. He opened the door for black music."

Jimi Hendrix, who saw Elvis live in 1957, aknowledge him "As a fine blues singer."

Robert Plant: [...] If you can hear Elvis singing ' Love Me', then that's a great introduction to the blues."

Robert Plant (during a concert in 2007): "[...] Ok, who was the King of the Blues? Muddy Waters? Maybe even Elvis Presley. I think he had so much contact, when he was a kid at school, he was listening to Memphis radio, in the early Fifties [...]"

Chris Bailey (The Saints) on "That's all Right": "My ultimate favourite. Whatever you say about Elvis, he very much liked black blues music. His music was black before he went off to Hollywood or wherever. The pureness of sound all these years later... I put that on and go, 'Why am I even trying? I can never better this.' He does three Arthur Crudup songs and they're all works of art."

Trevor Cajiao: "Don't let anyone tell you the blues is strictly for the black man. The passion and feel in El's version of 'One Night' transcends all musical boundaries. Apart from, maybe, Duane Eddy's 'Peter Gunn'', has there ever been a dirtier sounding record?"

Alan McGee: "Elvis had the blues. He was a black guy with white skin."

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f148/e ... 17817.html

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:In 1980 the Blues foundation started a blues hall of fame and it is considered the major hall for blues singers and blues musicians.

Despite having a track record of introducing the blues to many musician's and helping increase the popularity of it Elvis has continually been stubbed by this organization.

I feel that Elvis should have been inducted at some point during the 1990s or early 2000's and to me it's unfair that he hasn't been.

I believe it's too late to start a campaign to try to get Elvis inducted this year but maybe we can start one this year with an eye toward getting him inducted in 2014.

1. Who is with on this?

2. Do you have any additional thoughts on Elvis being repeatedly snubbed by the Blues foundation blues hall of fame?


So many questions abound, such as:

1. Which blues artists are in the "blues hall of fame"?
2. Which blues artists have been nominated but are not yet inducted?
3. What is the criteria required for nomination?
3. How is a nominated artist selected?
4. What exactly is Elvis Presley's "track record of introducing the blues to many musician's [sic] and helping increase the popularity of it"?


2. I don't think that has been announced as far as i know but they have another ceremony this year.
3. influence and helping to increase the popularity of blues music.
4. By a panel much like the Rock n' roll hall of fame.
5. Elvis had an influence of introducing helping introduce blues music to a number of people such as Robert Plant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_Hall_of_Fame

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Elvis introduced Robert Plant to rock 'n' roll, not blues.

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:43 pm

Elvis IS in the Blues Hall of Fame. He was inducted sometime around 2002-2005. Can't remember the date but it was newsworthy back then and Priscilla accepted in his honor for his induction. It's the Rhythm & Blues Hall Of Fame that he has yet to be inducted into but it's relatively new and only has 9 members.

Elvis has been inducted into at least 7 Hall Of Fames now.

Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame (1987)
Country Music Hall Of Fame
Gospel Music Hall Of Fame
Blues Hall Of Fame
Pop Music Hall Of Fame
Grammy Music Hall Of Fame
Memphis Music Hall Of Fame

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Steve Morse wrote:The biggest injustice of all is not in this, but rather in the lack of 'Grammy' awards (other than for his sacred recordings, of course).

There should at least be some posthumous/lifetime award and the Estate should produce a video presentation, perhaps fronted by some luminary from the music world, in order to achieve this. Maybe in 2015.


yep, agree there

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:19 pm

In the mid '50's Elvis was regarded as the best white blues singer. Elvis indruduced the blues to countless people, myself included. George Harrison once said that Elvis had a great blues voice.

I notice from the list that Chuck Berry has been inducted, I have never thought of him as being a blues singer?

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:22 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:Elvis IS in the Blues Hall of Fame. He was inducted sometime around 2002-2005. Can't remember the date but it was newsworthy back then and Priscilla accepted in his honor for his induction. It's the Rhythm & Blues Hall Of Fame that he has yet to be inducted into but it's relatively new and only has 9 members.


No.

Elvis isn't and never has been inducted into the Blues Foundation's blues hall of fame.

As i said in my original post that's the most important and the major blues hall of fame there is.

I mentioned all of this in my opening post.
Last edited by brian on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:26 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis introduced Robert Plant to rock 'n' roll, not blues.


Elvis introduced or helped introduce Robert Plant to both.

There is an interview floating around on the internet where Robert Plant talks about Elvis helping to introduce him to the blues.

I'll see if i can dig it up.

Re: Elvis has been snubbed by the Blues hall of fame.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:39 pm

brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Elvis IS in the Blues Hall of Fame. He was inducted sometime around 2002-2005. Can't remember the date but it was newsworthy back then and Priscilla accepted in his honor for his induction. It's the Rhythm & Blues Hall Of Fame that he has yet to be inducted into but it's relatively new and only has 9 members.


No.

Elvis isn't and never has been inducted into the Blues Foundation's blues hall of fame.

As i said in my original post that's the most important and the major blues hall of fame there is.

I mentioned all of this in my opening post.


You're right. It was an award he received from the Blues Hall Foundation in 1984 for keeping the blues alive in Rock & Roll.