Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Instrumentation being removed from songs.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:22 pm

A few songs on FTD releases have been mixed differently from when they were originally released, such as take 4 of "Love me, love the life I lead", originally released on FTD's "I sing all kinds", then a few months later released again on FTD's "Elvis (Fool)" reissUe, only this time with several key instruments mixed right down, ruining the song.
Last night, whilst listening to FTD's "Elvis country" package and "A hundred years from now - Essential Elvis" cd, I noticed a similar cock-up with take 1 of "Little cabin on the hill". On "Elvis country" FTD, the harmonica solo is now inaudible, so we now have Elvis saying "play it, Charlie" but now we don't hear him!?! If you want to hear this alternate take as it should be, you must buy or keep "A hundred years from now" CD where Charlie McCoy's harmonica solo is there where it should be. Does anybody know how or why these mixing / mastering mistakes keep on occuring???

Re: Instrumentation being removed from songs.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:27 pm

Tony.. wrote:A few songs on FTD releases have been mixed differently from when they were originally released, such as take 4 of "Love me, love the life I lead", originally released on FTD's "I sing all kinds", then a few months later released again on FTD's "Elvis (Fool)" reissUe, only this time with several key instruments mixed right down, ruining the song.

It is impossible to ruin a song as poor as "Love Me, Love The Life I Lead." ;-)

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:A few songs on FTD releases have been mixed differently from when they were originally released, such as take 4 of "Love me, love the life I lead", originally released on FTD's "I sing all kinds", then a few months later released again on FTD's "Elvis (Fool)" reissUe, only this time with several key instruments mixed right down, ruining the song.

It is impossible to ruin a song as poor as "Love Me, Love The Life I Lead." ;-)

That's odd, as I happen to find that one a belter. Sometimes I think many here expected total perfection of Elvis 100% of the time.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:46 pm

Yes ....this was mentioned at the time of release of "Fool"-FTD.
It was released over 3 years after "I sing all kinds"....little more than "few months" :lol:
I also prefer "I sing all kinds" version of take 4.("Love me, love the life I lead")
Similar thing with "jungle room" FTD vs "British songbook" version of "its easy for you"..........

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:31 pm

KingElvis wrote:

It was released over 3 years after "I sing all kinds"....little more than "few months" :lol:
I also prefer "I sing all kinds" version of take 4.("Love me, love the life I lead")
Similar thing with "jungle room" FTD vs "British songbook" version of "its easy for you"..........

Was some instrumentation 'airbrushed' out of "It's easy for you" too??

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Tony.. wrote:Last night, whilst listening to FTD's "Elvis country" package and "A hundred years from now - Essential Elvis" cd, I noticed a similar cock-up with take 1 of "Little cabin on the hill". On "Elvis country" FTD, the harmonica solo is now inaudible, so we now have Elvis saying "play it, Charlie" but now we don't hear him!?! If you want to hear this alternate take as it should be, you must buy or keep "A hundred years from now" CD where Charlie McCoy's harmonica solo is there where it should be.

You noticed? You mean I informed you:
viewtopic.php?t=74370

What's up with that?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:56 pm

Tony.. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It is impossible to ruin a song as poor as "Love Me, Love The Life I Lead." ;-)

That's odd, as I happen to find that one a belter.

True. Whoever contributed the song to that session should have been belted, early and often. ;-)

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:57 pm

KingElvis wrote:

As explained to Tony on more than one occasion, the outtake of this "top-tier song" is simply mixed aesthetically like the master take on the Fool FTD. Music has not been removed, which if it had is a different kettle of fish.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:02 am

I think the instrumentation adds more to the recordings than the master versions without. One song that comes to mind is the outtake of Heart Of Rome. Much better with the music break than without it.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:25 am

Matthew wrote:As explained to Tony on more than one occasion, the outtake of this "top-tier song" is simply mixed aesthetically like the master take on the Fool FTD. Music has not been removed, which if it had is a different kettle of fish.

All you can do is try...

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 am

Matthew wrote:
KingElvis wrote:

As explained to Tony on more than one occasion, the outtake of this "top-tier song" is simply mixed aesthetically like the master take on the Fool FTD. Music has not been removed, which if it had is a different kettle of fish.

So, who's decision was it to 'aesthetically' mix out Charlie McCoy's beautiful harmonica solo on LCOTH take 1?? And why bother to tamper with it at all?? If I were the musician involved, I would be angry that my work has been 'airbrushed' away.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:34 am

Tony.. wrote:So, who's decision was it to 'aesthetically' mix out Charlie McCoy's beautiful harmonica solo on LCOTH take 1?? And why bother to tamper with it at all?? If I were the musician involved, I would be angry that my work has been 'airbrushed' away.

How did you discover this Tony, when you 'noticed it' last night as stated in your opening post, or when you read about it in my post earlier this month? Or when you read about it 2 1/2 years ago when I pointed it out here: viewtopic.php?p=783120#p783120?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Matthew wrote:
Tony.. wrote:So, who's decision was it to 'aesthetically' mix out Charlie McCoy's beautiful harmonica solo on LCOTH take 1?? And why bother to tamper with it at all?? If I were the musician involved, I would be angry that my work has been 'airbrushed' away.

How did you discover this Tony, when you 'noticed it' last night as stated in your opening post, or when you read about it in my post earlier this month? Or when you read about it 2 1/2 years ago when I pointed it out here: http://elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewt ... 20#p783120?

I don't read ALL the postings here all the time, the same as I DON'T listen to every single different mix / mastering of the same tracks over and over again 24 hours a day, as there is a life beyond just comparing every Elvis track that has been released umpteen times on varying releases by varying 'masterers' 24/7. If I happen to notice something wrong whilst listening at leisure, I will make others aware of it as in this case.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Tony.. wrote:So, who's decision was it to 'aesthetically' mix out Charlie McCoy's beautiful harmonica solo on LCOTH take 1?? ...

"Don't look at me !

All I did was remove that silly mouth-organ !"

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:46 pm

robg wrote:Tony tut tut you don't read all of Matthews posts how could you not, when he is striving to take the good Doc's shoes, once he passes over to the great clouds above.
You have to remember these two Trotters were there, when old Noah built the ark, there is nothing in this old world they don’t know, or at least this time next year they will.

But its nice to see Matthew has all his posts catalogued for easy re-use when needed, wish I had the time for such trivialities.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:36 pm

robg wrote:Tony tut tut you don't read all of Matthews posts how could you not

You (of course) and Tony (conveniently) miss the point. In both given cases Tony has read and acknowledged my posts, the most recent being this very month! So to then come with this whole "I noticed last night" lie is a bit of a stretch. The fact remains that Tony has known about the Little Cabin On The Hill outtake for years! So one can't escape the conclusion that this thread harping on about very old news, that has been discussed at length exists only to stir the pot.

But if indeed TONY, er TONY. er, Tony..'s memory is so weak, it might explain so many login names in recent years!!

As for indexing posts, I guess you never heard of a search function, but I guess these things do take time to pickup ay Rob!

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:27 pm

Matthew wrote:As for indexing posts, I guess you never heard of a search function, but I guess these things do take time to pickup ay Rob!

robg.

No offense taken.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:32 pm

Rob wrote:
Matthew wrote:As for indexing posts, I guess you never heard of a search function, but I guess these things do take time to pickup ay Rob!

robg.

No offense taken.

:lol:

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:24 pm

ColinB wrote:
Tony.. wrote:So, who's decision was it to 'aesthetically' mix out Charlie McCoy's beautiful harmonica solo on LCOTH take 1?? ...

"Don't look at me !

All I did was remove that silly mouth-organ !"

"And I was 'busy' behind the conrol desk with Ernst at the time!!" :wink: