Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis Dance Moves

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:25 am

TJ wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Wilson's "public" admissions are unknown to me, as well as the absurd suggestion of "a lot of African-American entertainers" studying and taking cues from Presley.


SuspiciousMind is presumably referring to this quote that has been attributed to Wilson:

"A lot of people have accused Elvis of stealing the black man's music, when in fact, almost every black solo entertainer copied his stage mannerisms from Elvis."

Wilson was overstating things of course ...


And it's not at all what was claimed by SuspciousMind.

Re: Elvis Dance Moves

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TJ wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Wilson's "public" admissions are unknown to me, as well as the absurd suggestion of "a lot of African-American entertainers" studying and taking cues from Presley.


SuspiciousMind is presumably referring to this quote that has been attributed to Wilson:

"A lot of people have accused Elvis of stealing the black man's music, when in fact, almost every black solo entertainer copied his stage mannerisms from Elvis."

Wilson was overstating things of course ...


And it's not at all what was claimed by SuspciousMind.


The quote does show Wilson backing up SuspiciousMind's assertion about Elvis' influence on black performers though (however excessive the wording might be).

I think he probably was including himself among those who were influenced by Elvis, but he didn't specifically say it and I'm guessing that's what you mean.

Re: Elvis Dance Moves

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:01 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
karlos wrote:Wonderful dance Moves By Our King -
Please Follow Link

phpBB [video]




See Elvis Doing MoonWalk Before M.Jackson On Certain Moves In Dance - Love This
Enjoy Y'all

(Eat Ya Heart Out M.Jackson - ) ::rocks :smt007 :smt006 :P ::rocks


Presley's not quite doing the moonwalk, a move that goes back decades before Jackson's use of it on TV in 1983.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonwalk_(dance)




The video is fun viewing though. Note also that the 1962 and 1963 clips show Elvis mimicking one of his personal favorite performers, Jackie Wilson.




Ty Doc For Info - Looks Great Tho Doesn't It - Elvis Surely had the Moves -
::rocks

Re: Elvis Dance Moves

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:19 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:Doc I haven't heard about the visit in February 1974, what happened?


Well, David caught the show with his girlfriend, they were invited up to Elvis' suite afterwards.



Thanks Doc for the answer, I didn't know that David went to see Elvis in Veagas.

Re: Elvis Dance Moves

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:08 pm

TJ wrote:The quote does show Wilson backing up SuspiciousMind's assertion about Elvis' influence on black performers though (however excessive the wording might be) ...


Well, Wilson died in 1984, he couldn't back up anyone in 2013.

No, it only shows that SuspiciousMind took a random comment from an entertainer -- who was a great fan of Elvis Presley -- and tried to pass it off as fact.

Re: Elvis Dance Moves

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:Doc I haven't heard about the visit in February 1974, what happened?


Well, David caught the show with his girlfriend, they were invited up to Elvis' suite afterwards.


Thanks Doc for the answer, I didn't know that David went to see Elvis in Vegas.


And his date was Linda Lovelace.

Re: Elvis Dance Moves

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:34 pm

karlos wrote:Wonderful dance Moves By Our King -
Please Follow Link

http://youtu.be/X5xc6xAvqOM


See Elvis Doing MoonWalk Before M.Jackson On Certain Moves In Dance - Love This
Enjoy Y'all

(Eat Ya Heart Out M.Jackson - )
::rocks :smt007 :smt006 :P ::rocks


"Our King" ???

Uh, Elvis is not MY king, you sound incredibly obsessive, Elvis Presley was Elvis Presley, a mortal human being, just in case anyone, or especially you, wants to know.

Which branch of" Elvis is our King" church do you belong too ?

Re: Elvis Dance Moves

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:46 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
steevefry wrote:LAS VEGAS AUGUST 1974

Moonwalk by Elvis.gif



Cute, but that ain't the moonwalk move a-tall.


Wow, Elvis is killing that "Moonwalk" in that 1974 clip, sheesh ....

Re: Elvis Dance Moves

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:55 pm

Forrest Gump taught Elvis everything he knows. I thought that was common knowledge.

Image

How easily we forget.

Re: Elvis Dance Moves

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:37 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TJ wrote:The quote does show Wilson backing up SuspiciousMind's assertion about Elvis' influence on black performers though (however excessive the wording might be) ...


Well, Wilson died in 1984, he couldn't back up anyone in 2013.

No, it only shows that SuspiciousMind took a random comment from an entertainer -- who was a great fan of Elvis Presley -- and tried to pass it off as fact.


Are you saying that Wilson's observation had no merit at all then? You'd expect him to know a thing or two about who/what was inspiring fellow performers in the period. I think that although Wilson quite obviously got carried away with the wording, there's some truth to the idea that many performers (black and white) incorporated Elvis'isms into their act. The guy was the biggest thing in showbiz after all.

Re: Elvis Dance Moves

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 pm

TJ wrote:Are you saying that Wilson's observation had no merit at all then?


No, I am saying it should not have been used in the manner it was by SuspiciousMind, since it is just one entertainer's overly enthusiastic statement.