Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

September 2nd 1974 Closing Show

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:39 am

After reading reviews about the nights prior to Desert Storm it seems Elvis was already warning his fans bout the strung out rumours.
Ultimatley defending himself that night when it was so apparent he was under the influence of some kind of upper.

My question is if he felt like he was being attacked, or even rumours were going around then why in the world would he risk going onstage in such a chemical induced way did he not think it would look better if he was more calm, and not going off the deep end?

Re: September 2nd 1974 Closing Show

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:51 am

The alleged rumors concerned heroin. Elvis, in his mind, was certainly no junkie. He was taking medicine he claimed to need, prescribed by doctors.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:54 am

elvisjock wrote:The alleged rumors concerned heroin. Elvis, in his mind, was certainly no junkie. He was taking medicine he claimed to need, prescribed by doctors.

Was there any legit source that ever stated he actually was using heroin?

I know I heard about the dust (cocaine) from the Ocotober tour but nothing of heroin.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:03 am

memphisound wrote:
elvisjock wrote:The alleged rumors concerned heroin. Elvis, in his mind, was certainly no junkie. He was taking medicine he claimed to need, prescribed by doctors.

Was there any legit source that ever stated he actually was using heroin?

I know I heard about the dust (cocaine) from the Ocotober tour but nothing of heroin.

Wasn't it Sonny West who said that Jackie Wilson's people came to them and said a guy who gave massages to Elvis was calling him a "head"? Was that at the same time?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:07 am

Yes, that is the proper context of the time.
People sometimes forget to look at this stuff in the context of the mid 1970's.

Prescription drugs were not the enemy back then. The long term dangers about them still was not widely known.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:11 am

ekenee wrote:

Yes, that is the proper context of the time.
People sometimes forget to look at this stuff in the context of the mid 1970's.

Prescription drugs were not the enemy back then. The long term dangers about them still was not widely known.

Agreed and with a doctors giving you the ok its easy to say hey this isn't what junkies do i got a doctor.
and also I think its easy to convince yourself overtime you actually need this or think something is wrong with you to give you the excuse i'm not a junkie.

I still do not understand what his way of thinking was with going on stage closing night so obviously under the influence trying to defend himself. I do in a way but then in a way i don't because surely he knew the people who saw or heard the show would know something was up with him in the manner he was speaking, singing shouting!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:38 am

There is a certain irony in the fact that Elvis never sounded so out of it as on the night he told his audience he wasn't out of it! Elvis doesn't mention heroin in his speech from what I remember, but it certainly wouldn't be surprising if members of the audience went home from that show thinking the rumours were true given Elvis's weird behaviour - and not just that speech, but the rest of his weird waffling throughout the show.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:41 am

poormadpeter wrote:There is a certain irony in the fact that Elvis never sounded so out of it as on the night he told his audience he wasn't out of it! Elvis doesn't mention heroin in his speech from what I remember, but it certainly wouldn't be surprising if members of the audience went home from that show thinking the rumours were true given Elvis's weird behaviour - and not just that speech, but the rest of his weird waffling throughout the show.

Exactly the point im getting at. Surely he wasn't that careless not too think of what the audience would think seeing him in such a way with rumours already circulating around. But I guess he was.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:51 am

poormadpeter wrote:Elvis doesn't mention heroin in his speech...

"From three different sources I heard, I was strung out on heroin."
Elvis Presley, Las Vegas, Sept 2, 1974 (CS)

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:56 am

elvisalisellers wrote:

And those three sources were hotel employees, jack. Bellboys. Freaks that carry your luggage up to the room. People workin' around, y'know, talkin'. Maids.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:06 am

This Is What He Said - On September 2nd '74-Closing Show At Vegas
-Please Follow Link
Enjoy Y'all :D ::rocks

http://youtu.be/faCc0ePdgXQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:39 am

elvisalisellers wrote:

Ah yes, it all comes flooding back!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:19 am

Its highly embarressing how he carried on that night and to a lesser extent the previous nights midnight show...if he'd just left it at the statement' that all the stuff you read in movie magazines is all Junk'... and stopped their- that would have been 'ok' but he went way over the top for pretty much ALL of his 'behavour'-cars,karate etc shows,.....all through September 1974. very sad time for being an Elvis Fan :oops:

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:27 am

YDKM wrote:Its highly embarrassing how he carried on that night and to a lesser extent the previous nights midnight show...if he'd just left it at the statement' that all the stuff you read in movie magazines is all Junk'... and stopped their- that would have been 'ok' but he went way over the top for pretty much ALL of his 'behavior'-cars,karate etc shows,.....all through September 1974. very sad time for being an Elvis Fan :oops:

I agree and its wierd because from December '73 up til August '74 opening night Elvis had done a really good job at getting himself healthy again, solid shows, his weight was really good and then something after opening night happened i don't know...doctors , the rumored luke warm mediocre response the audience gave him opening night for all the new songs I'm not sure but something triggered a fast decline, that lasted til what his Birthday in 1975?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:57 am

YDKM wrote:Its highly embarressing how he carried on that night and to a lesser extent the previous nights midnight show...if he'd just left it at the statement' that all the stuff you read in movie magazines is all Junk'... and stopped their- that would have been 'ok' but he went way over the top for pretty much ALL of his 'behavour'-cars,karate etc shows,.....all through September 1974. very sad time for being an Elvis Fan :oops:

To me, the worst part of that evening wasn't his "drug speech" but his carrying on with Priscilla... that stuff had to be embarrassing for everyone present...

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:20 am

phpBB [video]

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:46 pm

memphisound wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:There is a certain irony in the fact that Elvis never sounded so out of it as on the night he told his audience he wasn't out of it! Elvis doesn't mention heroin in his speech from what I remember, but it certainly wouldn't be surprising if members of the audience went home from that show thinking the rumours were true given Elvis's weird behaviour - and not just that speech, but the rest of his weird waffling throughout the show.

Exactly the point im getting at. Surely he wasn't that careless not too think of what the audience would think seeing him in such a way with rumours already circulating around. But I guess he was.

A mixture of carelessness maybe, and a detachment from the reality of "normal" people & their ability to be talked 'round. I guess by that point Elvis had been so famous for so long that even aside from any health or drug problems, his bizarre life over the years had I guess almost erased any ability in him to know how to publicly deal with such a situation, intelligent & decent man though he still was.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:53 pm

I agree, she must have been embarrassed, to say the least. And saddened.

elvis-fan wrote:
YDKM wrote:Its highly embarressing how he carried on that night and to a lesser extent the previous nights midnight show...if he'd just left it at the statement' that all the stuff you read in movie magazines is all Junk'... and stopped their- that would have been 'ok' but he went way over the top for pretty much ALL of his 'behavour'-cars,karate etc shows,.....all through September 1974. very sad time for being an Elvis Fan :oops:

To me, the worst part of that evening wasn't his "drug speech" but his carrying on with Priscilla... that stuff had to be embarrassing for everyone present...

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:16 pm

memphisound wrote:
YDKM wrote:Its highly embarrassing how he carried on that night and to a lesser extent the previous nights midnight show...if he'd just left it at the statement' that all the stuff you read in movie magazines is all Junk'... and stopped their- that would have been 'ok' but he went way over the top for pretty much ALL of his 'behavior'-cars,karate etc shows,.....all through September 1974. very sad time for being an Elvis Fan :oops:

I agree and its wierd because from December '73 up til August '74 opening night Elvis had done a really good job at getting himself healthy again, solid shows, his weight was really good and then something after opening night happened i don't know...doctors , the rumored luke warm mediocre response the audience gave him opening night for all the new songs I'm not sure but something triggered a fast decline, that lasted til what his Birthday in 1975?

There was something wrong ON opening night. Elvis's speaking voice is very different to, say, Memphis from a few months earlier. Elvis went into the season a mess, and slowly got worse. That opening night performance is not one of Presley's best efforts, despite the change in material that we as fans like and appreciate. But there were the comments about "play around you lose your wife" (already done that), "play too long you lose your life" (almost did that even). That's not the onstage behaviour of someone who is well and "normal".

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:25 pm

The first time I heard the rehearsals I felt that something wasn't right, and I would agree that despite the new set list for the opening show, Elvis doesn't appear to be in great spirits. As we know this got worse as the season progressed.

During the Memphis show from the previous March he really sounded like he was enjoying himself. The irony of this is that the new set list Elvis had rehearsed for the Vegas opening would have been much better received on the road, and would have made for a killer live album had it been recorded by RCA at the Midsouth Coliseum.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:54 pm

rockinrebel wrote:The first time I heard the rehearsals I felt that something wasn't right, and I would agree that despite the new set list for the opening show, Elvis doesn't appear to be in great spirits. As we know this got worse as the season progressed.

And by Spring 1975, he was back to old self in Vegas... even though by that point it is noted that he hated Vegas, he could still put on a good show (during the Spring '75 engagement). The miserable cuss from the last 6 months of '74 was no where to be found.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:07 pm

elvis-fan wrote:And by Spring 1975, he was back to old self in Vegas... even though by that point it is noted that he hated Vegas, he could still put on a good show (during the Spring '75 engagement). The miserable cuss from the last 6 months of '74 was no where to be found.

Agreed. There's some enjoyable performances from '75 and Elvis was in good spirits again.

To clarify, I do enjoy the Opening Show from August '74. It's cool to have such a different set list, but unfortunately Elvis does sound out of sorts during this show.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Interesting observations i may go back and listen to the rehearsals and opening night from the From Sunset Blvd...To Paradise Road CD i don't recall thinking or hearing something in him that sounded "out of it" at all but i'll go back and play it been awhile.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:18 am

To be honest I haven't heard the rehearsals or the opening show for some time. I will have to play them again this week.

Going from memory though, I didn't hear the enthusiasm or sense of fun from Elvis that was present during the TTWII rehearsals. This would be understandable if he was running through oldies that he had grown tired of (as we see in the "On Tour" rehearsals) but this was new material that he had chosen for his show.

I will post my thoughts when I have revisited the recordings.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:54 pm

And yet it was reported as kind of a triumph at the time, that he had fought back against the movie mags. It wasn't reported as bizarre behavior at the time.