Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Tony.. wrote:
PresleyProud wrote:I put on 'Always on My Mind' for my brother - who generally likes hiphop. He was really touched by it, and was quite shocked when I told him it was Elvis.

Is your brother under 10 years old? He had never heard of "Always on my mind" and he likes hip-hop? Liking hippety hop is almost akin to liking the sound of fingernails going down a blackboard.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:09 pm

Tony.. wrote:Liking hippety hop is almost akin to liking the sound of fingernails going down a blackboard.

No, no... the sound of fingernails screeching down a blackboard smt178 is much more pleasing to the ears!

Okay, old man... I'll get off your lawn! smt156

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Great thread! I was watching an episode once of the Kloe Kardashian and Lamar Oden show and Lamar was saying that his favorite music is old school like James Brown, The Jackson Five and Elvis Presley. I grew respect for him to say that Elvis was "good music". I know the Kardashians have respect for Elvis because of Linda Thompson, their former step mom, but still found that cool that he would say that. It's amazing at how many do really love or respect Elvis throughout the world. This is why I argue with some about Elvis' longevity and fan following today. His music and image bigger than most think and realize. Just remember when someone you know or work with makes fun of him it's mostly because of jealousy. They're envious of him, a dead man, drawing all the hoopla from the world, mainly females, that no living human can ever dream of.

Just think of the last time you went to a club and heard them play Frank Sinatra or Fred Astaire. Yet they play Elvis' remix songs all the time!

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:17 am

Tony.. wrote:
PresleyProud wrote:I put on 'Always on My Mind' for my brother - who generally likes hiphop. He was really touched by it, and was quite shocked when I told him it was Elvis.

Is your brother under 10 years old? He had never heard of "Always on my mind" and he likes hip-hop? Liking hippety hop is almost akin to liking the sound of fingernails going down a blackboard.

You never stop.

Do you understand that your unceasing anti-hip hop and rap comments make you seem like you are a racist?

Do you care that you make this impression, again and again and again? It's embarrassing, and sad.

It's doubtful Elvis would make the same comments if he were alive in 2013.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:19 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:Just think of the last time you went to a club and heard them play Frank Sinatra or Fred Astaire. Yet they play Elvis' remix songs all the time!

What clubs do you go to that "play Elvis' remix songs all the time"?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:

You never stop.

Do you understand that your unceasing anti-hip hop and rap comments make you seem like you are a racist?

Do you care that you make this impression, again and again and again? It's embarrassing, and sad.

It's doubtful Elvis would make the same comments if he were alive in 2013.

What has not liking Eminem and the Beastie Boys gotta do with racism??? And does that make all black people racist just because they don't like country or classical music?? You use ridiculous analogies sometimes, old boy.
Last edited by Tony.. on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:23 am

Tony.. wrote:What has not liking Eminem and the Beastie Boys gotta do with racism??? And does that make all black people racist just because they don't like country or punk music?? You use ridiculous analogies sometimes, old boy.

Tony, you are digging the hole ever deeper -- and prove my point again -- with comments like the above.

I've asked you many times to please stop with the anti-rap and anti-hip hop comments. It's 2013 now. Any chance?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:14 am

Most people don't expect Elvis as the Elvis we know. Play Never Been To Spain from Prince From Another Planet and they'd probably flip, as it sounds "modern", "stereo", and miles away from Hound Dog or All Shook Up. That won't make them fans, but will probably change their view.

The other positive thing is that Elvis being so eclectic, we could pick the right song for every music lover.

Another thing that strikes me is how "outer" people often looks at Elvis music. So different from music critics but also from us (the fans). I'll cite an example. I have a very good friend who happens to be a drummer. In 1997, I played for him An Afternoon In The Garden (just released). He just flipped. He couldn't believe Elvis could sound that modern, with such a drummer behind him, with horns, voices, etc. Some weeks later, wanting for more, I played him In Person. Now it's curious, he couldn't appreciate what we and many people do appreciate about that record. He asked what happened to Elvis voice, sounding so hoarse, if he had a cold. He found the repertoire too 50's and the drumming less polished and (technically he was right) not as well captured as on the other record. Yet a few more weeks later, we both watched On Tour and Aloha. He never said a word about things we keep moaning and discussing here. Elvis appearance, if he was pale, if he moved that much or not.... Not a word. He concentrated on music, and he liked it a lot, saying On Tour was wilder (as a good thing) and Aloha impeccably polished (as a positive thing too). He even understood those 50 second running through 50's oldies as part of a medley for the audience appetite. But it was so good that he was doing a show in the 70's so far away from his oldies, not like that "other record you played me the other day (In Person)".

Wrong or right is refreshing, because it shows that "outer" people may be prejudiced against Elvis, but that we may be too.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:04 am

frus75 wrote:Most people don't expect Elvis as the Elvis we know. Play Never Been To Spain from Prince From Another Planet and they'd probably flip, as it sounds "modern", "stereo", and miles away from Hound Dog or All Shook Up. That won't make them fans, but will probably change their view.

The other positive thing is that Elvis being so eclectic, we could pick the right song for every music lover.

Another thing that strikes me is how "outer" people often looks at Elvis music. So different from music critics but also from us (the fans). I'll cite an example. I have a very good friend who happens to be a drummer. In 1997, I played for him An Afternoon In The Garden (just released). He just flipped. He couldn't believe Elvis could sound that modern, with such a drummer behind him, with horns, voices, etc. Some weeks later, wanting for more, I played him In Person. Now it's curious, he couldn't appreciate what we and many people do appreciate about that record. He asked what happened to Elvis voice, sounding so hoarse, if he had a cold. He found the repertoire too 50's and the drumming less polished and (technically he was right) not as well captured as on the other record. Yet a few more weeks later, we both watched On Tour and Aloha. He never said a word about things we keep moaning and discussing here. Elvis appearance, if he was pale, if he moved that much or not.... Not a word. He concentrated on music, and he liked it a lot, saying On Tour was wilder (as a good thing) and Aloha impeccably polished (as a positive thing too). He even understood those 50 second running through 50's oldies as part of a medley for the audience appetite. But it was so good that he was doing a show in the 70's so far away from his oldies, not like that "other record you played me the other day (In Person)".

Wrong or right is refreshing, because it shows that "outer" people may be prejudiced against Elvis, but that we may be too.

Very nice post Ivan, Thanks!!

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks Joe!

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:18 pm

About 20-sum years ago my cousin walked in on The Great Performances Vol. 1 playing on the VHS, it was on Unchained Melody. "Is that really Elvis?!" came after "Who's that? and "That's not Elvis!"

He didn't become a fan. :cry:

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:50 pm

frus75 wrote:Most people don't expect Elvis as the Elvis we know. Play Never Been To Spain from Prince From Another Planet and they'd probably flip, as it sounds "modern", "stereo", and miles away from Hound Dog or All Shook Up. That won't make them fans, but will probably change their view.

That's why I've never really liked the RCA August 1969 recordings, from when I first heard them in December 1969. I guess Elvis had overworked his voice by the time RCA got around to recording him.

Steve Morse

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:14 pm

I do not know how Linda Thompson could be the Kardashian's step mom! A step father's former wife is not your step mom. More like your step backwards mom.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:25 pm

I like some trip-hop, and some music that rap has influenced. The artist "Tricky" from the band Massive Attack is one example. However, I HATE traditional rap. Does that make me racist? I like Ray Charles, Sarah Vaughn, Dinah Washington, Miles Davis, Sade, and so on. But I LOATHE rap. So, again, does not liking rap make one racist? I also hate modern country music. I like a lot of country music before 1970, and I like alternative counrty of today (because it is closer to real country than contemporaty country is)

I do not like most forms of heavy metal, does that make me anti-white?

To say someone is racist because they do not like rap, is a bit of a stretch.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:17 pm

skatterbrane wrote:I like some trip-hop, and some music that rap has influenced. The artist "Tricky" from the band Massive Attack is one example. However, I HATE traditional rap. Does that make me racist? I like Ray Charles, Sarah Vaughn, Dinah Washington, Miles Davis, Sade, and so on. But I LOATHE rap. So, again, does not liking rap make one racist? I also hate modern country music. I like a lot of country music before 1970, and I like alternative counrty of today (because it is closer to real country than contemporaty country is)

I do not like most forms of heavy metal, does that make me anti-white?

To say someone is racist because they do not like rap, is a bit of a stretch.

Very true. I strongly dislike rap, but I am not and never have been a racist.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:18 pm

"Polk Salad Annie" is certainly a song that wins people over! It's swampy, bluesy, funky, sexy, all at once... It's the highlight of the original TTWII, to me.

There's also hardly anybody who doesn't like "Fever" or any of the '68 sit-down songs, especially when they also see Elvis perform.
"You're The Boss" is a gem, too, that wins people over.

When come to think of it, how can one not like Elvis ? :D

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:45 pm

frus75 wrote:I have a very good friend who happens to be a drummer. In 1997, I played for him An Afternoon In The Garden (just released). He just flipped. He couldn't believe Elvis could sound that modern, with such a drummer behind him, with horns, voices, etc. Some weeks later, wanting for more, I played him In Person. Now it's curious, he couldn't appreciate what we and many people do appreciate about that record. He asked what happened to Elvis voice, sounding so hoarse, if he had a cold. He found the repertoire too 50's and the drumming less polished and (technically he was right) not as well captured as on the other record.

Is your friend a jazz or lounge drummer?

Ronnie Tutt plays as well in 1969 as he does in 1972.

Your pal "found the repertoire too 50's"?

It's clear he dislikes the sound of 1969 because he does not have an ear for rock 'n' roll.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:53 pm

skatterbrane wrote:I like some trip-hop, and some music that rap has influenced. The artist "Tricky" from the band Massive Attack is one example. However, I HATE traditional rap. Does that make me racist?

Not necessarily. But please share which "traditional rap" artists you have heard that make you HATE the genre.

skatterbrane wrote:To say someone is racist because they do not like rap, is a bit of a stretch.

No one said that. Read with care!

The point is that when a forum member ALWAYS chimes in on any post that discusses or appreciates rap or hip hop, and does so making derogatory comments, and does so even when people repeatedly ask that they stop, it is not at all a stretch to state that it will make one assume they are a racist. At the very least, they have some kind of problem.

Hope this makes sense to you now.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:28 am

I really dislike most of what passes for "rap" music these days, but I love a lot of the stuff from when the genre was in it's "golden age". Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Eric B. & Rakim, Wu-Tang Clan, Nas, Ice Cube, Slick Rick etc.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:53 am

WildStyle wrote:I really dislike most of what passes for "rap" music these days, but I love a lot of the stuff from when the genre was in it's "golden age". Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Eric B. & Rakim, Wu-Tang Clan, Nas, Ice Cube, Slick Rick etc.

The message that rap is sending is scary for the future of our children. Sure rock got the same criticism but compare the two and its lyrics and you will see what I mean. Apples to oranges for certain.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:54 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:Great thread! I was watching an episode once of the Kloe Kardashian and Lamar Oden show and Lamar was saying that his favorite music is old school like James Brown, The Jackson Five and Elvis Presley. I grew respect for him to say that Elvis was "good music". I know the Kardashians have respect for Elvis because of Linda Thompson, their former step mom, but still found that cool that he would say that. It's amazing at how many do really love or respect Elvis throughout the world. This is why I argue with some about Elvis' longevity and fan following today. His music and image bigger than most think and realize. Just remember when someone you know or work with makes fun of him it's mostly because of jealousy. They're envious of him, a dead man, drawing all the hoopla from the world, mainly females, that no living human can ever dream of.

Just think of the last time you went to a club and heard them play Frank Sinatra or Fred Astaire. Yet they play Elvis' remix songs all the time!

SuspiciousMind, you look for approval in such weird places. You get a kick when young people are at Graceland thinking that Elvis' legacy is in good hands with them and now you think the world has been saved because Elvis was mentioned on the Kardashian show? And then you're droning on and on about how people who diss Elvis are really jealous? WTF? Are you sure you're in your forties? All this sounds very elementary to me. You come across as someone who was often ridiculed growing up--and even TODAY as an adult---for being an Elvis fan. You seem constantly on the hunt for a justification for why you're an Elvis fan as if trying to prove to your bullies why your dedication to Elvis is justified.

And please do share how often you hear Elvis songs at clubs. I was in college during the HEIGHT of the "ALLC" and then the "Rubberneckin" remixes pandemonium...(I went to a big party University) and never did I hear those or ANY other Elvis songs being played at a club or even at a party. Sounds like a lot of assuming on you're part?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:56 am

Justin wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Great thread! I was watching an episode once of the Kloe Kardashian and Lamar Oden show and Lamar was saying that his favorite music is old school like James Brown, The Jackson Five and Elvis Presley. I grew respect for him to say that Elvis was "good music". I know the Kardashians have respect for Elvis because of Linda Thompson, their former step mom, but still found that cool that he would say that. It's amazing at how many do really love or respect Elvis throughout the world. This is why I argue with some about Elvis' longevity and fan following today. His music and image bigger than most think and realize. Just remember when someone you know or work with makes fun of him it's mostly because of jealousy. They're envious of him, a dead man, drawing all the hoopla from the world, mainly females, that no living human can ever dream of.

SuspiciousMind, you look for approval in such weird places. You get a kick when young people are at Graceland thinking that Elvis' legacy is in good hands with them and now you think the world has been saved because Elvis was mentioned on the Kardashian show? And then you're droning on and on about how people who diss Elvis are really jealous? WTF? Are you sure you're in your forties? All this sounds very elementary to me. You come across as someone who was often ridiculed growing up--and even TODAY as an adult---for being an Elvis fan. You seem constantly on the hunt for a justification for why you're an Elvis fan as if trying to prove to your bullies why your dedication to Elvis is justified.

And please do share how often you hear Elvis songs at clubs. I was in college during the HEIGHT of the "ALLC" and then the "Rubberneckin" remixes pandemonium...(I went to a big party University) and never did I hear those or ANY other Elvis songs being played at a club or even at a party. Sounds like a lot of assuming on you're part?

How about you take care of you and I'll take care of me. I don't need your smart ass comments to make me thing otherwise. Have a nice day.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:07 am

Well, I get it now. You're the kind of person who doesn't like to be challenged--got it. Whether you like it or not, your posts are up on this board for ALL to read and for ALL to comment on. This place isn't your personal diary or blog for you to just ramble on in. A dialogue occurs based on what you post. If you don't invite criticism or a challenge to your views--why even participate on the board at all?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:44 am

Justin wrote:SuspiciousMind, you look for approval in such weird places. You get a kick when young people are at Graceland thinking that Elvis' legacy is in good hands with them and now you think the world has been saved because Elvis was mentioned on the Kardashian show? And then you're droning on and on about how people who diss Elvis are really jealous? WTF? Are you sure you're in your forties? All this sounds very elementary to me. You come across as someone who was often ridiculed growing up--and even TODAY as an adult---for being an Elvis fan. You seem constantly on the hunt for a justification for why you're an Elvis fan as if trying to prove to your bullies why your dedication to Elvis is justified.

Justin wrote:Well, I get it now. You're the kind of person who doesn't like to be challenged--got it. Whether you like it or not, your posts are up on this board for ALL to read and for ALL to comment on. This place isn't your personal diary or blog for you to just ramble on in. A dialogue occurs based on what you post. If you don't invite criticism or a challenge to your views--why even participate on the board at all?

I thoroughly agree with -- and appreciate -- your comments regarding SuspiciousMind.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Justin wrote:SuspiciousMind, you look for approval in such weird places. You get a kick when young people are at Graceland thinking that Elvis' legacy is in good hands with them and now you think the world has been saved because Elvis was mentioned on the Kardashian show? And then you're droning on and on about how people who diss Elvis are really jealous? WTF? Are you sure you're in your forties? All this sounds very elementary to me. You come across as someone who was often ridiculed growing up--and even TODAY as an adult---for being an Elvis fan. You seem constantly on the hunt for a justification for why you're an Elvis fan as if trying to prove to your bullies why your dedication to Elvis is justified.

Justin wrote:Well, I get it now. You're the kind of person who doesn't like to be challenged--got it. Whether you like it or not, your posts are up on this board for ALL to read and for ALL to comment on. This place isn't your personal diary or blog for you to just ramble on in. A dialogue occurs based on what you post. If you don't invite criticism or a challenge to your views--why even participate on the board at all?

I thoroughly agree with -- and appreciate -- your comments regarding SuspiciousMind.

So let me get this straight. It's NOT OK for me to have a personal interest in what people of this era think of my favorite entertainer, yet it's OK for a jackass like Justin to judge my personal likes and dislikes?