Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:55 am

Not too long ago I played All I Needed Was The Rain to a friend. He thought it was John Stewart * and really liked it.

When I told him it was Elvis, he was astonished: "But I don't like Elvis..."

I was reminded of an old Guinness ad: "I've never tried it because I don't like it."

Have any other members of this forum had similar experiences?


* the former Kingston Trio member who wrote Daydream Believer, not The Daily Show's Jon Stewart!

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:25 am

I have, NumberEight.

My daughter and son-in-law have a state-of-the-art video/surround sound system in their home. One of our greatest pleasures is sharing our eclectic tastes in music -- made even more eclectic by the generation gap. A favorite pastime is to take turns choosing YouTube videos for each other.

So one night last year, at an opportune moment, my choice was Elvis' "Polk Salad Annie." My son-in-law was stunned! He insisted that we play it over and over. I'm not exaggerating when I say that he became completely obsessed with the song for the next few weeks.

The stereotypes fell away and the music took over. Let's just say, his eyes were opened.

(BTW, "All I Needed Was the Rain" is one of my favorites.)

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:16 am

There are plenty of people who hate entire genres for no real reason. I have a friend who doesn't like "old" songs, which means he doesn't like the songs just because it's not modern, which brings into question the music he listens to currently is just simply based on the fact that everyone hip must be listening to it.

There are a few of these cases on this board as well, certain folks not liking the entire genre of rap. If you can't find one good song in a genre, it's nothing wrong with the genre, but you!

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:21 am

NumberEight wrote:Not too long ago I played All I Needed Was The Rain to a friend. He thought it was John Stewart * and really liked it.

When I told him it was Elvis, he was astonished: "But I don't like Elvis..."

I was reminded of an old Guinness ad: "I've never tried it because I don't like it."

Have any other members of this forum had similar experiences?


* the former Kingston Trio member who wrote Daydream Believer, not The Daily Show's Jon Stewart!


Gosh, now all I can see in my mind's eye is JON STEWART in that scene, with the dog's tail in his mouth, from Stay Away, Joe! LOL!

rjm
P.S. -- It's true; I've converted a few people. You have to scope 'em out - and then start where they are.

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:30 pm

I have related the following before NumberEight but you may have missed it. My apologies to those that have read it before.

Years ago a teenage co worker liked rock'n'roll but for some reason couldn't stand Elvis :shock: At some party that we were both at someone put on A Big Hunk o' Love, he came over to me with a smirk on his face saying " Now this is what I call rock'n'roll". It was then my turn to smirk :D

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:04 pm

There are two kinds of people, those who like Elvis' music and those who really do not know Elvis' music.

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:
Years ago a teenage co worker liked rock'n'roll but for some reason couldn't stand Elvis :shock: At some party that we were both at someone put on A Big Hunk o' Love, he came over to me with a smirk on his face saying " Now this is what I call rock'n'roll". It was then my turn to smirk :D



:lol: Good one chris :smt023

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:08 pm

I put on 'Always on My Mind' for my brother - who generally likes hiphop. He was really touched by it, and was quite shocked when I told him it was Elvis.

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:50 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:I have related the following before NumberEight but you may have missed it. My apologies to those that have read it before.

Years ago a teenage co worker liked rock'n'roll but for some reason couldn't stand Elvis :shock: At some party that we were both at someone put on A Big Hunk o' Love, he came over to me with a smirk on his face saying " Now this is what I call rock'n'roll". It was then my turn to smirk :D

Great story, and a well-deserved smirk!

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:01 pm

I was that person myself once. before I became Elvis fan I didn't like him, for no real reason, really

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:09 pm

My [late] father was of the pre-Presley generation, his tastes were Sinatra, Crosby, Martin etc, he always looked upon my Presley obsession with some disdain. Never ever called him Elvis, only Presley. He once told me my love for his music a passing fad,"If you still like him in twenty years you can call yourself a fan", one day while listening to an album completely out of the blue he remarked " Tell you one thing about Presley, he's the best damn blues singer I've ever heard." Praise like that from him was something special to me, and to this day I've never forgotten it. The moral of the story? There really is something for everyone.

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:23 pm

I hear often when playing songs from the '69 American Sound Studios Sessions… “Wow, that's Elvis?” Especially with “Stranger In My Own Hometown.”

Image

Image

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:47 pm

EPA4368 wrote:I hear often when playing songs from the '69 American Sound Studios Sessions… “Wow, that's Elvis?” Especially with “Stranger In My Own Hometown.”

Image

Image

Same with me! Also the last time it happened I played "Steamroller Blues" from January 12, 1973 to a friend of mine who doesn't dig Elvis. But he liked it! :D

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:56 pm

That happened to me as well, although I never *hated* Elvis, but I grew up as a child in the 1980s, and at that time, there seemed to be a lot of Elvis bashing (it wasn't too long after the Goldman book).

I remember a friend of mine giving me a stack of 45s by a bunch of artists, and "Fool"/"Steamroller Blues" and "My Way"/"America" was in there as well, both with the picture sleeves. I put "Fool" on...and, well, it didn't do it for me. The wobbly voice, the heavy reverb...ick...Of course, I was only 5 or so, so I really didn't appreciate that back then. "Steamroller" was a little better, but it still didn't strike me. The other single I could barely listen to... Of course, I was heavily influenced by my Dad's tastes, and he never liked Elvis much..so I kinda set them aside. I did like hearing "Hound Dog" and "Don't Be Cruel" when they were on the oldies station, but apart from the movies, I never really got to experience Elvis much. But, he was still big, and I'd hear other entertainers I like talk highly about him, and that bad image was not as strong as it used to be...

Fast forward about 8 years later, and I became an Elvis fanatic.... After watching a documentary on TV about him, I decided to go to the local library and check out some of the Elvis records they had...they had 2--"A Legendary Performer Volume 3" and "Moody Blue". Well, when I first heard "In the Ghetto", I was floored. And then I wanted more, and more, and more... And years later, I heard "Fool" again, and I think it's really good...

But, I fell for the "hype" that Elvis was a waste of talent, but I discovered his music with both ears, and never looked back.

:smt006

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:01 am

NumberEight wrote:Not too long ago I played All I Needed Was The Rain to a friend. He thought it was John Stewart * and really liked it.

When I told him it was Elvis, he was astonished: "But I don't like Elvis..."

I was reminded of an old Guinness ad: "I've never tried it because I don't like it."

Have any other members of this forum had similar experiences?


* the former Kingston Trio member who wrote Daydream Believer, not The Daily Show's Jon Stewart!


I had a girlfriend who consented to my making a three-cassette compilation of Elvis' best work (1954-58, 1960-1968, 1969-77). She liked it all, especially the '68 Special, but was drawn to the third cassette most. She was astonished by "Burning Love," and found the bass playing, drumming and vocal to be out of this world. "Promised Land" was also a song she would not let go of, as well as "I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water."

I married that girl!

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:11 am

Nice story Doc!

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 am

MaryAnn wrote:I have, NumberEight.

My daughter and son-in-law have a state-of-the-art video/surround sound system in their home. One of our greatest pleasures is sharing our eclectic tastes in music -- made even more eclectic by the generation gap. A favorite pastime is to take turns choosing YouTube videos for each other.

So one night last year, at an opportune moment, my choice was Elvis' "Polk Salad Annie." My son-in-law was stunned! He insisted that we play it over and over. I'm not exaggerating when I say that he became completely obsessed with the song for the next few weeks.

The stereotypes fell away and the music took over. Let's just say, his eyes were opened.

(BTW, "All I Needed Was the Rain" is one of my favorites.)

How very satisfying!

Needless to say, I'm glad you also like All I Needed Was The Rain. I think it's underrated.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
I had a girlfriend who consented to my making a three-cassette compilation of Elvis' best work (1954-58, 1960-1968, 1969-77). She liked it all, especially the '68 Special, but was drawn to the third cassette most. She was astonished by "Burning Love," and found the bass playing, drumming and vocal to be out of this world. "Promised Land" was also a song she would not let go of, as well as "I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water."

I married that girl!

Great story, and nicely told!

I'm reminded of Wink Martindale's Deck of Cards: "I was that soldier boy..."

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 am

NumberEight wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:I have, NumberEight.

My daughter and son-in-law have a state-of-the-art video/surround sound system in their home. One of our greatest pleasures is sharing our eclectic tastes in music -- made even more eclectic by the generation gap. A favorite pastime is to take turns choosing YouTube videos for each other.

So one night last year, at an opportune moment, my choice was Elvis' "Polk Salad Annie." My son-in-law was stunned! He insisted that we play it over and over. I'm not exaggerating when I say that he became completely obsessed with the song for the next few weeks.

The stereotypes fell away and the music took over. Let's just say, his eyes were opened.

(BTW, "All I Needed Was the Rain" is one of my favorites.)

How very satisfying!

Needless to say, I'm glad you also like All I Needed Was The Rain. I think it's underrated.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
I had a girlfriend who consented to my making a three-cassette compilation of Elvis' best work (1954-58, 1960-1968, 1969-77). She liked it all, especially the '68 Special, but was drawn to the third cassette most. She was astonished by "Burning Love," and found the bass playing, drumming and vocal to be out of this world. "Promised Land" was also a song she would not let go of, as well as "I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water."

I married that girl!

Great story, and nicely told!

I'm reminded of Wink Martindale's Deck of Cards: "I was that soldier boy..."


Love this kind of stuff. Thanks guys!!

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:00 am

skatterbrane wrote:There are two kinds of people, those who like Elvis' music and those who really do not know Elvis' music.



There is a lot of truth in that statement, skatternbrane!

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:17 am

Another time during the late '80's a friend who was into the blues and some heavy rock, but new very little about Elvis except for a few of the hits, was round my home and I played 'Stranger In My Own Home Town', He was knocked out by it and said "I never knew Elvis did great stuff like that" :!:

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:57 am

I really like "All I Needed Was The Rain" not just generally overlooked, practically unknown to anyone outside the fan base.

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:40 am

years ago, back in my schooldays a schoolfriend asked what i was listening
on my walkman. We had to travel an hour by train, so to kill some time i listened to elvis.
I never really talked much about music, mostly because i was afraid that
people would make fun of me liking Elvis. But nevertheless i gave him a listen,
and as i expected (or rather say beeing afraid of) he didn't like it, mostly
because of the mono sound. It was the intro of teddybear that made him laugh.
But anyway, a couple of days later we missed the train after school, some older guys he knew
had a car and they would drive us home. Whilest driving home my schoolfriend asked
the other guys if they would want to have a laugh about some old mono sounding music,
and asked for my cassete tape. Now that day i had another cassete tape with me, i compilation
of some 70's rock songs. At the point they put the cassete tape in the car player they never
know what hit them "wash my hands in muddy waters" follewed by "burning love" blasted out of
the car speakers. No laughs, no silly talk, yust great respect for Elvis.
I know i had a big smile on that drive home, Burning love baby!

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:51 am

hli wrote:years ago, back in my schooldays a schoolfriend asked what i was listening
on my walkman. We had to travel an hour by train, so to kill some time i listened to elvis.
I never really talked much about music, mostly because i was afraid that
people would make fun of me liking Elvis
. But nevertheless i gave him a listen,
and as i expected (or rather say beeing afraid of) he didn't like it, mostly
because of the mono sound. It was the intro of teddybear that made him laugh.
But anyway, a couple of days later we missed the train after school, some older guys he knew
had a car and they would drive us home. Whilest driving home my schoolfriend asked
the other guys if they would want to have a laugh about some old mono sounding music,
and asked for my cassete tape. Now that day i had another cassete tape with me, i compilation
of some 70's rock songs. At the point they put the cassete tape in the car player they never
know what hit them "wash my hands in muddy waters" follewed by "burning love" blasted out of
the car speakers. No laughs, no silly talk, yust great respect for Elvis.
I know i had a big smile on that drive home, Burning love baby!


I had and sometimes still have this problem, Other kids used to beat me up for it, stab me in the back during exams (I lost my selfasteam for years)I was a easy target, because i hadnt hit anyone in my life, Actually had respect to teachers and others, and liked elvis.
nowadays i try to keep quite about elvis mostly. Altough more people started to like elvis slowly, and lately elvis got some respects from people that arent really elvis fans, They sayd u like elvis?, well that man could sing!, or Awesome that ur a elvisfan!

im proud to be a elvisfan so now for the last few years i wear elvis t-shirts in public,which i used to only do at home :D

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:13 pm

Similar thing has happened to me several times with some friends. They say they don't like Elvis's music but then are amazed when I play them something and tell them it's Elvis. Happends usually with American Sound studio or early 70's recordings. It seems to me that many people think that all Elvis recorded was the 50's stuff which usually gets played more often in radio. Many people don't realise the variety of styles Elvis recorded. Like his blues recordings aren't very well known.

Re: Is that really Elvis? But I don't like Elvis!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:39 pm

PresleyProud wrote:I put on 'Always on My Mind' for my brother - who generally likes hiphop. He was really touched by it, and was quite shocked when I told him it was Elvis.


Is your brother under 10 years old? He had never heard of "Always on my mind" and he likes hip-hop? Liking hippety hop is almost akin to liking the sound of fingernails going down a blackboard.