Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Who was Elvis' truest friend? Whose account is the best?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:55 pm

I´d choose GK..the guy had his own job, he wasn´t stick to Elvis and after he died he didn´t use his friendship to make money as the others, telling some intimate and sad stories that would have been better to keep them to themselves.
Gk always truely defended Elvis legacy...

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:07 pm

ale wrote:I´d choose GK..the guy had his own job, he wasn´t stick to Elvis and after he died he didn´t use his friendship to make money as the others, telling some intimate and sad stories that would have been better to keep them to themselves.

GK was nothing but a "pimp" for Elvis - a way for Elvis to get girls. Remember, he introduced both Linda Thompson and Ginger Algen to Elvis (actually, it was Rosemary he introduced but Elvis took a liking to Ginger instead).

Plus, I don't like George for the fact that he's so closely associated himself with Priscilla and EPE. I'd be willing to bet that his book (as well as Jerry's) "protects" Elvis.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:27 pm

If you pay someone, is that person a friend or an employee?
If so, Elvis had no friends but employees.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:01 pm

ale wrote:...after he died he didn´t use his friendship to make money as the others...

George was paid for the events he participated in... and there's this...

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:46 pm

you´re right elvis fan but I doubt that book throws dirt over E
GK was his friend from the begining when E was nobody...

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:12 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Still anxiously awaiting your reply...

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Errol Flynn wrote:Two questions:

1) Out of all of Elvis' circle, especially in the later years, who would you say was Elvis' truest friend? Like, someone who was a REAL friend, not just a hanger on whom Elvis happened to like?

2) Out of all the countless books on Elvis written by friends, insiders, etc, which ones would you say are the most 'authoritative', credible and close to the mark? I got Jerry Schillings' book and it was a good read but am not sure how it's viewed here.

Good to learn you've looked at a book on Elvis.

What was your favorite part of Jerry's work? It was an honest document, and well-received by the fans.

Also, what are the names of the other Elvis books you told us you bought for your fiancee three months ago? Do you plan to crack one open one of those any time soon?

I ask because you seem to have so many questions about Elvis' life, and the answers may be at your fingertips!

Anxiously awaiting your reply...

He did reply. It was the next post after you asked your questions

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:26 am

I'd definitly go for Billy Smith. He seems to give the most honest, insightful, well-balanced, coherent and compassionate impression on his relationship with Elvis.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:29 am

Tony Trout wrote:
ale wrote:I´d choose GK..the guy had his own job, he wasn´t stick to Elvis and after he died he didn´t use his friendship to make money as the others, telling some intimate and sad stories that would have been better to keep them to themselves.

GK was nothing but a "pimp" for Elvis - a way for Elvis to get girls. Remember, he introduced both Linda Thompson and Ginger Algen to Elvis (actually, it was Rosemary he introduced but Elvis took a liking to Ginger instead).

Plus, I don't like George for the fact that he's so closely associated himself with Priscilla and EPE. I'd be willing to bet that his book (as well as Jerry's) "protects" Elvis.

You sound bitter. Did GK do something to you?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:31 am

egilj wrote:I'd definitly go for Billy Smith. He seems to give the most honest, insightful, well-balanced, coherent and compassionate impression on his relationship with Elvis.

phpBB [video]

fast forward to 28:45 minutes in....Billy is one of the most sincere people from Elvis' camp. What he says sometimes brings tears to my eyes.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:37 am

memphisound wrote:
egilj wrote:I'd definitly go for Billy Smith. He seems to give the most honest, insightful, well-balanced, coherent and compassionate impression on his relationship with Elvis.

phpBB [video]

fast forward to 28:45 minutes in....Billy is one of the most sincere people from Elvis' camp. What he says sometimes brings tears to my eyes.

It's called acting.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:39 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
memphisound wrote:

phpBB [video]

It's called acting.

If you can't listen to what Billy Smith says there and here the emotion in his voice then thats your fault.

That line "god man come on its not too late get a grip and get a way from the drugs don't use them you don't have too...take a little time off nothings that impressing you don't owe anybody anything"...

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:58 am

ale wrote:you´re right elvis fan but I doubt that book throws dirt over E
GK was his friend from the begining when E was nobody...

Agreed...

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:09 am

Billy Smith

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:11 am

memphisound wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
memphisound wrote:

phpBB [video]

It's called acting.

If you can't listen to what Billy Smith says there and here the emotion in his voice then thats your fault.

That line "god man come on its not too late get a grip and get a way from the drugs don't use them you don't have too...take a little time off nothings that impressing you don't owe anybody anything"...

Apparently Billy didn't think much of Elvis when he tried to black male Lisa Marie following her marriage to Jackson. Billy wants people to think that he and Elvis were the closest when truth is, they weren't.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:13 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
memphisound wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
memphisound wrote:

phpBB [video]

It's called acting.

Apparently Billy didn't think much of Elvis when he tried to black male Lisa Marie following her marriage to Jackson. Billy wants people to think that he and Elvis were the closest when truth is, they weren't.

When in truth they weren't?

How did you come to that conclusion, Billy isn't usually the one that says that, actually its other members that were around that always say that Billy was probably the closest to Elvis the last year, year 1/2 of Elvis' life.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:15 am

memphisound wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
memphisound wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
memphisound wrote:

phpBB [video]

It's called acting.

When in truth they weren't?

How did you come to that conclusion, Billy isn't usually the one that says that, actually its other members that were around that always say that Billy was probably the closest to Elvis the last year, year 1/2 of Elvis' life.

The last year, yes. Simply because most of the guys were already gone by then. Red, Sonny and Dave Hebler were fired and Jerry Schilling left to manage The Beach Boys.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:38 am

Deleted post
Last edited by yaso on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:47 am

Rob wrote:Later years?

My vote goes to Billy Smith.

totally agree.... :D

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:14 am

Ann Margret she hasnt never slammed E at all.Lisa Marie.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:12 am

My litmus test is taken by who defends Elvisb, who doesn't reveal confidences that she is privy to, or sell anything for money, but gives of her time.

I think that one of Elvis' true friends, when asked questions, who would look at the entire situation, how Elvis felt before a situation occurred, and who would explain what happened in the context of what occurred at the time and situations leading up to it. When asked by fans, she would eloquently explain the real context of some of the stories out there by some people who sold books for money. She would explain and answer questions presented to her from Elvis' fans truthfully, lovingly, and fairly. This generous of heart lady obviously keeps "mum" with regard to confidences.

Sandi Miller, a lovely woman, who, humbly, describes herself as a fan; however, to me, she must have been much, much, more and I thank her for being such a good, loving, caring, friend.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:13 am

Red West, then Billy Smith!

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:03 am

sylvain wrote:Charlie Hodge
Charlie Hodge

No! Charlie was a drunk who stayed holed up in his room getting drunk while at Graceland and only came out when Elvis was giving out gifts. But then again, he was willing to take the wrap and say the underage girl that almost died after her and Elvis were drinking narcotic cough medicine! So maybe he was Elvis's best friend! It's not GK. GK is a liar who makes himself more important than he actually was. He has claimed that it was him who convinced and arranged for Elvis to record at American! He has claimed to have designed the TCB logo and got Elvis to wear jumpsuits. He has claimed he was with Elvis during the famous visit to Sun Studios in 1956 that produced the "Million Dollar Quartette" recordings. It has been said that GK was around very little but like Charlie, only came around when Elvis was giving out gifts.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 am

Elvis' best friend was Dries van Kuijk. He made Elvis very rich and never gossipped about Elvis' private life.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:44 am

ritchie valens wrote:Ann Margret she hasnt never slammed E at all.Lisa Marie.

I wish it would have been Ann-Margret. :cry:

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:50 am

Elvis' best and closet friend was always going to be Gladys, everyone who came after that was always going to be a poor substitute.
I know Billy Smith left Elvis in the late sixties when his daddy was sick and then he went to work on the Rail roads but does anybody know why they didn't see each other for years? Billy said (In RMM) that he saw Elvis in 1974 for the first time in years? I always found this a bit funny as they were family and lived so close to one another.