Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:21 am

Yes BJ lent me quite a few tapes. Some of them had already come out on bootleg, but not leaked by BJ, just by a certain person whom he had previsouly lent them too. Some of the dates, whilst common, included soundboards for Greensboro 1972 and Memphis 1974 which we already had in various forms. He gave me his own copy of the Diamond Anniversary Edition CD Old Times They Are Not Forgotten: he got a kick out of the part where Elvis brings him out on stage to listen to "the boom". Bruce said at the time he was so embarrassed and pissed off but could see the funny side years later. I think once Bruce saw that release he came to realise he couldn't trust everyone and it really put him in a bad position professionally if tape leaks were linked to him. Bruce didn't know what Elvis stuff he had, he just knew he had it. He also had a tape of Barbara Streisand rehearsing - man, she swears like a trooper! I asked him about writing a book about his career, and his response was if he did that would be the end of his career! He told me prior to our friendship (and we were just mates, more "Elvis mates", I certainly was not a part of his inner circle or anything like that, so don't think we were bosom buddies), he'd never spoken much about Elvis to anyone other than family and colleagues. Being from Sydney too, I was able to present him with recordings, photos and footage of him with Elvis which brought back memories, many of which he hadn't thought about since those events occurred. He was very generous, he gave me photos he had taken, and some back stage passes etc. He was the type of guy who'd call or email you out of the blue and say, "Hey, I havent seen you for a while, lets grab a coffee or do lunch". He was a great bloke and is sadly missed. Co-incidently, its the 2nd anniversary of BJ's death today.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:02 am

Jim, thanks for sharing your experiences with Bruce Jackson.

Very interesting.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:47 am

Jim Dandy wrote:Yes BJ lent me quite a few tapes. Some of them had already come out on bootleg, but not leaked by BJ, just by a certain person whom he had previsouly lent them too. Some of the dates, whilst common, included soundboards for Greensboro 1972 and Memphis 1974 which we already had in various forms. He gave me his own copy of the Diamond Anniversary Edition CD Old Times They Are Not Forgotten: he got a kick out of the part where Elvis brings him out on stage to listen to "the boom". Bruce said at the time he was so embarrassed and pissed off but could see the funny side years later. I think once Bruce saw that release he came to realise he couldn't trust everyone and it really put him in a bad position professionally if tape leaks were linked to him. Bruce didn't know what Elvis stuff he had, he just knew he had it. He also had a tape of Barbara Streisand rehearsing - man, she swears like a trooper! I asked him about writing a book about his career, and his response was if he did that would be the end of his career! He told me prior to our friendship (and we were just mates, more "Elvis mates", I certainly was not a part of his inner circle or anything like that, so don't think we were bosom buddies), he'd never spoken much about Elvis to anyone other than family and colleagues. Being from Sydney too, I was able to present him with recordings, photos and footage of him with Elvis which brought back memories, many of which he hadn't thought about since those events occurred. He was very generous, he gave me photos he had taken, and some back stage passes etc. He was the type of guy who'd call or email you out of the blue and say, "Hey, I havent seen you for a while, lets grab a coffee or do lunch". He was a great bloke and is sadly missed. Co-incidently, its the 2nd anniversary of BJ's death today.

Great stories.
I'm sure Bruce would have gone through his collection after his retirement which wasn't to be..
Did he have the Dec '76 tapes? or even better, November '71?

I once got an email he had some special shows so at the time it indicated to me Atlanta/Pittsburg was in his collection..

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:51 am

Might you please create a fresh topic on this?

Everyone should read about your friendship with engineer Bruce Jackson. These stories deserve better than to be buried here. Maybe you could scan one of those photos to add to the story?

Anyway, just a thought.

Jim Dandy wrote:Yes BJ lent me quite a few tapes. Some of them had already come out on bootleg, but not leaked by BJ, just by a certain person whom he had previsouly lent them too. Some of the dates, whilst common, included soundboards for Greensboro 1972 and Memphis 1974 which we already had in various forms. He gave me his own copy of the Diamond Anniversary Edition CD Old Times They Are Not Forgotten: he got a kick out of the part where Elvis brings him out on stage to listen to "the boom". Bruce said at the time he was so embarrassed and pissed off but could see the funny side years later. I think once Bruce saw that release he came to realise he couldn't trust everyone and it really put him in a bad position professionally if tape leaks were linked to him. Bruce didn't know what Elvis stuff he had, he just knew he had it. He also had a tape of Barbara Streisand rehearsing - man, she swears like a trooper! I asked him about writing a book about his career, and his response was if he did that would be the end of his career! He told me prior to our friendship (and we were just mates, more "Elvis mates", I certainly was not a part of his inner circle or anything like that, so don't think we were bosom buddies), he'd never spoken much about Elvis to anyone other than family and colleagues. Being from Sydney too, I was able to present him with recordings, photos and footage of him with Elvis which brought back memories, many of which he hadn't thought about since those events occurred. He was very generous, he gave me photos he had taken, and some back stage passes etc. He was the type of guy who'd call or email you out of the blue and say, "Hey, I havent seen you for a while, lets grab a coffee or do lunch". He was a great bloke and is sadly missed. Co-incidently, its the 2nd anniversary of BJ's death today.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:43 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Might you please create a fresh topic on this?

Everyone should read about your friendship with engineer Bruce Jackson. These stories deserve better than to be buried here. Maybe you could scan one of those photos to add to the story?

Anyway, just a thought.

I agree!

Your story do deserve a topic and needs to be sticked for some time.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks Jim Dandy, Special times indeed and what a trusting guy lending them out. I also agree a new thread should be started to hear Jim Dandys story on his friendship with bruce the goose.
Thanks again Jim dandy Please share more of your memories and frienship with bruce if you could ::rocks

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Jim Dandy...great and precious memories..please open a new thread..yess...and share more with us.. ::rocks

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

I concur with everyone else!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk