Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: I FORGOT TO REMEMBER TO FORGET has been sold to Ernst! :

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:02 am

Just imagine how good it'll sound...

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:03 am

I'm over it. Don't get me wrong, it will be great to get it in better quality but I'm more interested in seeing where this ends up. If ABFT was to be rereleased, it wouldn't be right for people who own it already.

I think something big is coming. I just have that gut feeling.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:37 am

If these reports are true, then I think this may well end up on a 'Young Man With The Big Beat' styled package. No doubt it will be something to look forward to.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:47 pm

robg wrote:The sound isn't going to be that much better, but any improvement is welcome especially on that track.

Of course it will be "that much better", we're talking about a properly mastered direct, in-line transfer of the wire-recording vs. a digital conversion of a low-res YouTube streamed compressed video where the audio has been recorded on a digicam capturing the wire being played through a speaker in a room, with all the ambient room noise to boot (pun).

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:03 pm

phpBB [video]

:D

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:45 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:All we need now is live versions of "Milkcow Blues Boogie", "Mystery Train" and the "Pied Piper Of Cleveland" then we can all die in peace.

LOL. And don't forget the soundtrack (at the very least) of Elvis' appearance on the Roy Orbison show)!! :smt003

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:52 pm

Tony.. wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:All we need now is live versions of "Milkcow Blues Boogie", "Mystery Train" and the "Pied Piper Of Cleveland" then we can all die in peace.

LOL. And don't forget the soundtrack (at the very least) of Elvis' appearance on the Roy Orbison show)!! :smt003

The kinescope of this performance supposedly does exist in the hands of the man from Alabama.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Greg1995 wrote:
Tony.. wrote:

The kinescope of this performance supposedly does exist in the hands of the man from Alabama.

THE man, or A man??!! Do you know the name?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:50 pm

His name is Danny Mayo.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:04 pm

Matthew wrote:
robg wrote:The sound isn't going to be that much better, but any improvement is welcome especially on that track.

Of course it will be "that much better", we're talking about a properly mastered direct, in-line transfer of the wire-recording vs. a digital conversion of a low-res YouTube streamed compressed video where the audio has been recorded on a digicam capturing the wire being played through a speaker in a room, with all the ambient room noise to boot (pun).

Matthew, this is exactly my thought as well.

Hopefully, Sebastian Jeansson will do the mastering -- his work on the CDs included with A Boy From Tupelo is wonderful.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Those doubting the quality difference between a direct inline transfer and an audio rip of a YouTube video of a digital camera picking up the audio being played back in a room should do the following:

Grab your digital camera and video your stereo playing a song from a CD (it really doesn't matter what song you use, or how good the quality of the original recording is). Next, upload that video to YouTube (don't skip this step!). Then, capture the audio from the YouTube video to an audio file. Finally, play that audio file next to the original CD through the same stereo. If one can't discern a significant quality difference then perhaps they should think about a hearing test.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:01 pm

Matthew wrote:Those doubting the quality difference between a direct inline transfer and an audio rip of a YouTube video of a digital camera picking up the audio being played back in a room should do the following:

Grab your digital camera and video your stereo playing a song from a CD (it really doesn't matter what song you use, or how good the quality of the original recording is). Next, upload that video to YouTube (don't skip this step!). Then, capture the audio from the YouTube video to an audio file. Finally, play that audio file next to the original CD through the same stereo. If one can't discern a significant quality difference then perhaps they should think about a hearing test.

So true, Matthew. If properly transferred and remastered "I Forgot to Remember to Forget" will be the best sounding Louisiana Hayride recording, even the first performance recorded on tape can hide.;)

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 pm

It really wouldn't matter if it were a perfect studio recording or a rough acetate. The quality difference between an inline transfer of it and an audio rip of a YouTube upload of a digital camera videoing a playback of the source would arguably be the same.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:03 am

Hope to god this is true and we see an official release soon.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:50 am

This is wonderful news congrats to you Ernst for getting this wonderful treasure.
Look forward to seeing it on an official release that it deserves.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Ty Ty

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:17 pm

MysteryTrain wrote:MRS altered the recording by over dubbing Bill Black's bass from the original SUN recording. It is refreshing to know that eventually we'll get the original recording from the wire, hopefully expertly transferred by Sony.

MT

. . . and ruined it in the process. What possessed them to destroy the magic of this wonderful discovery is beyond me.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:26 am

Any news of how this is being handled?

Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:49 am

voldto wrote:Any news of how this is being handled?

Very carefully. ;-)

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:41 pm

Where has this 'news' been confirmed? I havn't seen any official announcement about this. If it's true, my guss is that 2014 will see a 6oth anniversary Sun release featuring this track on Legacy or something.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:52 pm

Maybe Ernst'll play it during Elvis week.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:52 pm

Tony.. wrote:Where has this 'news' been confirmed? I havn't seen any official announcement about this. If it's true, my guss is that 2014 will see a 6oth anniversary Sun release featuring this track on Legacy or something.

I`ve said this before and I will say it again, expect a lot of various elvis products (good and bad) between 2014 - 2017, absolutely no question!!

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:56 pm

sweetangeline wrote:
Tony.. wrote:Where has this 'news' been confirmed? I havn't seen any official announcement about this. If it's true, my guss is that 2014 will see a 6oth anniversary Sun release featuring this track on Legacy or something.

I`ve said this before and I will say it again, expect a lot of various elvis products (good and bad) between 2014 - 2017, absolutely no question!!

Tony.. never expects good Elvis products. :D :P :wink:

Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:24 pm

You're wrong. I DO expect and always hope that someone (Lene??) doesn't ruin something with bad mastering, slow speed, naff edits etc, etc.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:59 pm

Why tamper with it if the sound is good?